Is there a mod to construct/modify vessels in space?

felcas

10 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Like when a magician pulls a ladder out of a small bag.  Some stuff just isn't the right dimension to fit in the container.

If I can pull it off indeed... I'm sure it's far easier said than done and I haven't even looked at the object model to see what I have access to.  But from what I've seen people are able to do with various mods, I'm optimistic.  A basic window gadget with some clickable listbox type items is all I'm looking to do for now.  Something to automate what I might do manually with Hyper-Edit for instance.

KIS is abstracted.  It works purely on volume because it would be almost impossible to work based on shape.  So as far as KIS is concerned, anything put into it's containers becomes shapeless plasma and it converts back when it comes back out.  However that also includes the air that would fill it.  For example, the trusses in MKS are intended to be mostly air, because they are like habitat walkways, they are very low mass for their size... but they won't go in most containers due to their volume.

In the end it's an abstraction but it's still pretty far from complete magic.  It's no more magic than half the things in stock KSP.

Edited by Alshain

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

KIS is abstracted.  It works purely on volume because it would be almost impossible to work based on shape.  So as far as KIS is concerned, anything put into it's containers becomes shapeless plasma and it converts back when it comes back out.  However that also includes the air that would fill it.  For example, the trusses in MKS are intended to be mostly air, because they are like habitat walkways, they are very low mass for their size... but they won't go in most containers due to their volume.

Yeah, I like KIS/KAS and all..  it's one of the relatively few mods that I think I can't really play without.  As for Orbital Construction my preference would just be to haul parts I want into space, dock them at a station, then convert parts to a craft.  I don't even want to get into dealing with scrap, recycling, etc.  Just if enough parts for a craft are docked at a station, wipe all the parts and trade for the craft.  If there are extra parts, they're just gone.  That would be my first basic run at it.

2 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Yeah, I like KIS/KAS and all..  it's one of the relatively few mods that I think I can't really play without.  As for Orbital Construction my preference would just be to haul parts I want into space, dock them at a station, then convert parts to a craft.  I don't even want to get into dealing with scrap, recycling, etc.  Just if enough parts for a craft are docked at a station, wipe all the parts and trade for the craft.  If there are extra parts, they're just gone.  That would be my first basic run at it.

I fear you may run into issues with that approach due to the way the parts are attached in a cascading tree.  What happens to parts that are not used in construction that are attached to a part that is used?  It suddenly has no home.  I'm not going to say it's impossible but the logistics behind it will be an incredible challenge.

Just now, Alshain said:

I fear you may run into issues with that approach due to the way the parts are attached in a cascading tree.  What happens to parts that are not used in construction that are attached to a part that is used?  It suddenly has no home.  I'm not going to say it's impossible but the logistics behind it will be an incredible challenge.

It will depend on how difficult it is to... 

1) identify all part branches that are defined by two connected docking ports - call these "part nodes"

2) build a usable part list with the parts attached to the node(s)

3) compare the usable part list to a .craft part list (this part is easy, I can already parse the .craft file)

4) put the craft in orbit next to the station (presumably not too bad, since HyperEdit manages it)

5) delete every "part node" and any part that branches from it  (again, not concerned at all about killing innocent parts at this step)

I think all this could be done with just a text-based clicky-window and some listboxes?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.