What is a advantage of Open GL over dx9 or dx11

So I was looking around the wiki on how to run borderless window without the launcher and i found out about these three commands, -force-opengl, -force-d3d9, and -force-d3d11. Are there any advantages of running the game in any of these settings?

I am no expert.

At a time when 32bit was the only option, I think it helped squeeze more free memory time before crashing. Ksp.exe used to eat too much RAM and crash once it passed the 4gb limit. This is no longer a big deal with 64bit client.

I suppose the rest is a matter of graphics taste and your rig.

Other than that. I assume you can just start the game with the ksp.exe? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

and what about -force-opengl

I have a 720gt Nvidia (not so powerful), i5   3.00 GHz    8 GB RAM SSD   on WINDOWS 7.
I am trying to gain performance. My main issue is GPU defficiency... As I get away with large part counts and high FPS outside atmosphere. The big problem on FPS comes with ATMOSPHERE effects and I want to know how can I set up the my game the most efficiently way possible...

Edited by Agustin

8 minutes ago, Agustin said:

and what about -force-opengl

I have a 720gt Nvidia (not so powerful), i5   3.00 GHz    8 GB RAM    on WINDOWS 7.
I am trying to gain performance. My main issue is GPU defficiency... As I get away with large part counts and high FPS outside atmosphere. The big problem on FPS comes with ATMOSPHERE effects and I want to know how can I set up the my game the most efficiently way possible...

If atmospheric effects are the issue, I recommend turning them down to low (or very low if you want them off completely.), and turning off AA as well.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Yes I have done all that to the limit at where I have some clouds because I really want them there as I am currently playing a lot at the atmosphere and I want it to be pretty... But Really I am searching information about Open Gl or DIRECT X commands and unity engines kind of stuff... 

1 hour ago, Agustin said:

Yes I have done all that to the limit at where I have some clouds because I really want them there as I am currently playing a lot at the atmosphere and I want it to be pretty... But Really I am searching information about Open Gl or DIRECT X commands and unity engines kind of stuff... 

Using EVE? Turn off the volumetric cloud layer.

Dx 9 mode (default) is your best bet. OpenGL/Dx11 were only useful to save some RAM back before 64 bit gave us unlimited RAM usage.

You aren't going to find some "secret code" or "magic password" to make the game run better. Pretty much all the Gfx options for Unity games are exposed in options menu. You may be able to turn things down a bit more in the .ini file but I doubt it. You are mostly stuck with traditional ways to improve FPS, have you turned your "Physics Delta" time all the way up? Vsync off? Lowered the resolution?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.