[1.11.x - 1.12] Corvus CF - a Size-1 Command Pod for 2 Kerbals (V1.3.7 - 2021.07.01)

micha

dLBld1p.jpg
Image by Omega482 & Saybur Stuff

Version 1.3.7 - Released 2020-12-27

Compatible with KSP 1.11.x - 1.12.x

(v1.3.5 is compatible with older versions of KSP)

Corvus License - CC BY-SA Source-GitHub-green.svg CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg KSP%20AVC-supported-brightgreen.svg SpaceDock-listed-blue.svg CurseForge-listed-informational

NOTICE TO CORVUS USERS

This is the community continuation of @Orionkermin's fantastic 2-Kerbal Corvus Command Pod for a Size-1 (1.25m) launch stack (with adapter for the optional Size-1.5 (1.875m) launch stack).

Translations:

Corvus CF is actively looking for more translations! If you can help, that would be great :) There is some good information to help in this thread. If you're looking to translate, please post in this thread so that nobody else picks up the same language!

Done: [Deutsch] [Español]

Remaining: [Русский] [中文] [日本語] [Português] [Italiano] [Français]

GitHub: Please see the feature/localisation Branch for current localisation work.

Effort: ~23 lines / 400 words

ABOUT

Corvus is a small parts pack based around a 1.25m two-seat capsule. It has been made to be a "Kerbalized" interpretation of Gemini and features a unique IVA.

Included in the pack is an appropriately themed parachute/ docking port combo, a service module which features a monoprop generator, a heatshield, a slimline decoupler, and a small in-line monopropellant engine. It also contains an adapter featuring storage space and integrated decoupler to the non-standard but popular 1.875m size.

PICTURES AND VIDEOS

Imgur album link: http://imgur.com/a/nLqSL

Fantastic review by @Kottabos on YouTube here.

DOWNLOADS

• via CKAN - automatic updates and dependencies (recommended)
  • GitHub - always the latest release. Also access to the source code, pre-releases, the bug-tracker, and the Wiki.
  • Spacedock
  • Curseforge

Installation Instructions

Download the archive and extract the contents of the "GameData" folder into your KSP's "GameData" directory.

The Corvus Mod contains the following 2 folders for "GameData":

• Corvus - the mod itself
  • HGR - a sub-set of the Home-Grown Rockets mod (also by OrionKermin) required for the IVA.

Mod Recommendations

SUPPORT

No logs, no support. Unless it's a feature-request, of course..

If you find a problem, try to reproduce it first with NO OTHER MODS installed. If the problem goes away, please try to identify which mod is causing the problem.

If possible, please raise the issue on GitHub.

CHANGELOG

The full changelog is here.

• v1.3.7
    • Marked compatible with KSP1.12.
    • Tweaked capsule slightly
      • increased price
      • decreased crash tolerance
      • increased science storage range

CONTRIBUTORS

LICENSE

CC BY SA

Corvus by @Orionkermin with Community Fixes by many is licensed under the Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license.

Edited by micha
Updated release for KSP 1.12

Some pictures showing off the Corvus capsule and other parts (click pic to open the Imgur album; album embedding appears to be broken at present).

YjWW2Z2.png
Rear (centre) : A completely assembled Corvus stack
Front (left-to-right) : Mk1-Pod, Corvus: Pod, Nosecone, Decoupler, Heatshield, Supply, OAS, Tank, 1.875m Adapter
Edited by micha
Embed album; add text list of parts

On 7/10/2017 at 1:29 PM, micha said:

Fantastic review by @Kottabos on YouTube here. (although he can't pronounce my name :wink:)

woops .... how is it supposed to be pronounced, gonna be honest I worry about that with every mod video I make.  I always think 'did I pronounce this name right' ... especially with some of the user names people have out there lol.  And hey keep up the great work on the mod, you got some nice parts here

Edited by Kottabos

On 14/07/2017 at 2:32 PM, Kottabos said:

woops .... how is it supposed to be pronounced, gonna be honest I worry about that with every mod video I make.  I always think 'did I pronounce this name right' ... especially with some of the user names people have out there lol.  And hey keep up the great work on the mod, you got some nice parts here

Eh, no hard feelings mate :) But for the record, it's Mee-sha (well, that's the closest I can come with english anyway, not quite there but close enough).

Also, I can't take any credit at all for the parts - they are all @Orionkermin's creation, I've merely updated the package for KSP1.3.

Added to game today and have really been enjoying the mod functionally and visually. Thanks!

Question on the " adapter featuring storage space"? Looking up through the bottom of the adapter, there is a lot of space, but missing out on how you are supposed to store anything in it. Doesn't have internal attachment points. What am I missing?

The flared adapter is so critical to the visual appeal of the Gemini spacecraft, I find it very odd that Orionkermin chose the "non-standard but popular 1.875m size" for it to adapt to. None of the many mods I use have this size. What is the most popular, recommended, etc. mod out there with parts this size to mate to?

Looking at the adapter, the concave design at the top, plus its description, suggest that it should mate straight onto the Corvus heatshield. If the adapter, instead of being a hollow shell, had the equivalent Corvus supply tank and O20 Orbital Attitude System built in, it would be an absolutely perfect setup, as well as visually correct for the Gemini design. The non-flared tank and engine, as well as Corvus decoupler, wouldn't even be needed as the adapter has it built in.

Micha - Any thoughts on modifying Orionkermin's design?

Edited by DGShannon

@DGShannon : I haven't played with the adapter myself, but based on @Orionkermin's posts, I'd say the idea is to surface-attach batteries and suchlike to the interior of the adapter. 

I have no idea what the best 1.875m pack is, not having played with that size myself, however there is @Orionkermin "Home Grown Rockets" pack, which, I believe, is being updated and re-released for KSP1.3 as well, if it hasn't been already.

I'm not a modeller and I don't have the source files for the parts, so any modifications are out-of-scope at present.  If anybody wants to reverse-engineer any parts and add functionality as suggested, I'll be more than happy to include any new parts for this mod, suitably acknowledged, but the basic idea of the repackage was just to ensure the configurations are kept up-to-date for new versions of KSP and that the mod is given some well-deserved exposure.

• 7 months later...
On 7/11/2017 at 2:43 AM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Can we get a pic or two? 

Done; I've added a link to an album in the second post.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:16 AM, DGShannon said:

Added to game today and have really been enjoying the mod functionally and visually. Thanks!

Question on the " adapter featuring storage space"? Looking up through the bottom of the adapter, there is a lot of space, but missing out on how you are supposed to store anything in it. Doesn't have internal attachment points. What am I missing?

I just made this (looks a touch messy once the launcher stack is decoupled, but worked well):

u1dxkLQ.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey @micha I know other mods are not your problem, and I am not complaining, just thought it interesting to report an issue. 

I just downloaded the newest 'deadly reentry'. It reports a modulemanager loading error in the loading screen, relating to the "mm_patches/corvus_dre.cfg" file. What does it do exactly? Can I just remove it without harm?

Edited by Daniel Prates

38 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

I just downloaded the newest 'deadly reentry'. It reports a modulemanager loading error in the loading screen, relating to the "mm_patches/corvus_dre.cfg" file. What does it do exactly? Can I just remove it without harm?

Hi @Daniel Prates,

I've never played with Deadly Reentry myself, that particular patch was supplied by another contributor before I even took over  maintenance of Corvus.

What it does is modify the capsule parameters so it's more realistic/suitable for DRE, but if it no longer  works, then yes,  you can  just remove it. It might mean the capsule will just burn up on reentry though without it.  You can see about adjusting it yourself based on how other (especially stock capsules) are configured for DRE - DRE should ship with  patches for those.

If you do decide to do this and come up with a good balanced configuration, please share it with me and I'll update Corvus.

Alternatively if you can share either your entire log, or just the snippet showing the MM errors, maybe someone else can figure out what needs fixing.

Cheers,

- Micha.

19 hours ago, micha said:

Hi @Daniel Prates,

I've never played with Deadly Reentry myself, that particular patch was supplied by another contributor before I even took over  maintenance of Corvus.

What it does is modify the capsule parameters so it's more realistic/suitable for DRE, but if it no longer  works, then yes,  you can  just remove it. It might mean the capsule will just burn up on reentry though without it.  You can see about adjusting it yourself based on how other (especially stock capsules) are configured for DRE - DRE should ship with  patches for those.

If you do decide to do this and come up with a good balanced configuration, please share it with me and I'll update Corvus.

Alternatively if you can share either your entire log, or just the snippet showing the MM errors, maybe someone else can figure out what needs fixing.

Cheers,

- Micha.

Interesting, I will fiddle with it and if I find something useful I'll report back!

On 8/26/2018 at 2:56 AM, Daniel Prates said:

Interesting, I will fiddle with it and if I find something useful I'll report back!

Hi @Daniel Prates 
I've pushed an update which fixes the error and tweaks some of the DRE values a bit more. Can you please have a play with it and give me some feedback as to how the mod handles with DRE now?
Thanks!

Edited by micha

14 hours ago, micha said:

Hi @Daniel Prates 
I've pushed an update which fixes the error and tweaks some of the DRE values a bit more. Can you please have a play with it and give me some feedback as to how the mod handles with DRE now?
Thanks!

Did a complete play-through and not only the error is no more, but also, evidently everything is working normally!

WicMosS.jpg

3wtAcQI.jpg

coLBB47.jpg

yFUcH9F.png

SlXvy5r.jpg

Edited by Daniel Prates

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Did a complete play-through and not only the error is no more, but also, evidently everything is working normally!

Awesome! Thanks for testing.

Do you think the settings are good for DRE now or should it be more or less Deadly?

59 minutes ago, micha said:

Awesome! Thanks for testing.

Do you think the settings are good for DRE now or should it be more or less Deadly?

Well quite frankly in current settings reentry WAS deadly several times. Many a kerbal died in previous attempts. The pics are from the last one,  the only to provide a surviving witness. It was only manageable by a very careful,  timed reentry, with some atmospheric touch-and-go and a quite high initial pre-entry periapsis (50km) so that I got as much slowing down as I could in the early, thiner atmosphere. It is in my experience that reentry was not that deadly before. So,  pheeew!

But then again, I was thinking that this was caused by a too unforgiving setting in regard to Deadly Reentry,  which is tweakebale, and not with your parameters for the parts. Other craft with other parts were barbecued too. I'll do some more testing with other Deadly Reentry settings and let you know!

Edited by Daniel Prates

Cool, thanks so much for the feedback. 
In the original patch it was only the Corvus capsule which had DRE settings, I've now added DRE settings to all Corvus parts which makes them much more sensitive to heat damage. If it's too much I can dial it back, but it would be great if you could compare and contrast with a similar stock craft under DRE given you have some experience with it.

8 minutes ago, micha said:

Cool, thanks so much for the feedback. 
In the original patch it was only the Corvus capsule which had DRE settings, I've now added DRE settings to all Corvus parts which makes them much more sensitive to heat damage. If it's too much I can dial it back, but it would be great if you could compare and contrast with a similar stock craft under DRE given you have some experience with it.

Insofar I do think it is too much. Specially for the ablator,  which does not do the job very well. Let me try Deadly Reentry with some other stock craft to compare. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

@micha, scrap what I said above. Corvus is fine: it's Deadly Reentry who has recently gotten... well, DEADLY AS %#$*@!!

I did, besides the previous Corvus testing, two more flights. One was a TANTARES capsule  (@Beale please observe if this is of your interest), and the other was a purely stock craft. Both started reentry from around 100km altitude, and I set periapsis at 40km. You know, for a shallow dive, so that it had plenty of time to slow down progressively. 

JFxqob8.png

jW7aSSy.jpg

The result was the same as with Corvus: Deadly Reentry has gotten so badass in its latest iteration, that it is nearly impossible to return anything from anywhere. The poor vostok-like capsule was eaten alive  before even reaching 50km, the parachute exploding much earlier.  The stock mk1 capsule survived the rougher patch, but the ablator material was entirely consumed and exploded, whereas the parachute nearly snuffed it too as it came close to 90% or so of it's max temperature. So IMHO there is no tweaking necessary regarding CORVUS, if the same thing happens with a wide array of other parts!

I think I shall take this to the Deadly Reentry thread to see if the overall deadliness is tweakable in some broader way. If not, then I'll certainly be retiring Deadly Reentry for the time being. It has gotten too way... deadly. Hehe. 

Anyway, thanks for listening. And I was glad to do this crosschecking of Corvus parts with you, its one of the best part packs around and I am glad to help. Cheers!

Edited by Daniel Prates

Small request: Add the ability to toggle crossfeed through the Corvus heat-shield if TAC Life Support is detected, otherwise the life-support supplies in the service-module aren't accessible to the crew in the capsule

3 hours ago, StevieC said:

Small request: Add the ability to toggle crossfeed through the Corvus heat-shield if TAC Life Support is detected, otherwise the life-support supplies in the service-module aren't accessible to the crew in the capsule

Actually I'll add the toggle regardless as players with other supply/life-support mods may also want access to the service module.

For now you can add the following Module-Manager patch (just put the following into a new file with a ".cfg" extension and put it somewhere under GameData):

@PART[Corvus_Heatshield]
{
    %MODULE[ModuleToggleCrossfeed]
    {
        %crossfeedStatus = false
        %toggleEditor = true
        %toggleFlight = true
    }
}

EDIT: Hmm, thinking about it, why should it be toggleable? Maybe it should just always allow crossfeed?

Edited by micha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.