[1.3.x] [No Longer Supported Here] Alien Space Programs 1.0 - Take KSC And Push It Somewhere Else!

Whirligig Girl

For the time being, I have given Alien Space Programs to @Gordon Fecyk. The above link is the new thread.

Alien Space Programs will take the KSC and place it on one of the several other planets in the solar system.

vuVz3Qa.png

Features

• Eve, Duna, Minmus, Jool, Tylo, and Laythe are now available as playable homeworlds.
  • Kerbin, now devoid of Kerbal life, has been renamed Bin.
  • Accurate PQSMods to the stock planets.
  • Balanced science multipliers. (Except for Jool, because I really haven't the faintest clue how to balance that)

ALTERNIS KERBOL LITE EDITION (Laythe Space Program)

ROFyMLB.png

LITTLE GREEN MEN FROM DUNA (Duna Space Program)

zqA2KqO.png

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM: BAD-S MODE (Eve Space Program)

CLBRHKL.png

MINMUS AINT NO PUDDING (Minmus Space Program)

2swvvfH.png

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM: BadS Mode Part 2: Electric Tyloogaloo (Tylo Space Program) (See also: Whirligig World)

SA0vztD.png

REALISM OVERHAUL: GREEN EDITION (Jool Space Program)

0AxDSnJ.png

Download (NOTE: If you downloaded the mod between August 11th 2017 and January 7th, 2018 from the Github link, you got the wrong version! This is due to a forum bug that prevents changes to image links from saving. This should be fixed now. Sorry)

x7L0qvd.png

Download at GitHub
Spacedock Mirror

Installation

1. Download and install Kopernicus.
  2. Ensure that ModuleManager, ModularFlightIntegrator, and Kopernicus are all installed. (You don't need to reinstall any of these if you already have them)
  3. Put the AlienSpacePrograms folder in GameData.
  4. Select a New Homeworld in the settings config file.

Homeworld Selection

1. Open HomeWorldSetting.cfg with notepad or an other text editor.
  2. Decide which world you want.
  3. Write the name of the planet you want in Homeworld = [planet name]
  4. So if you want Laythe, you should have "Homeworld = Laythe"

Recommended/Compatible Mods

• Eve Optimized Engines, by @OhioBob, which adds Eve-balanced rocket engines. I highly recommend these for use on Eve, else the game is rather difficult to play in career mode.
  • Explodium Breathing Engines, by @Gordon Fecyk, which adds Eve-air-breathing jet engines. Personally I don't like the idea for realism reasons, but if you want to be able to use jet engines on Eve, this should work fine.

Planned Features

• Art pass, make the planets less bleh-looking while retaining the stock terrain and general appearance. (Nothing so complicated as a Revamped system)
  • Official Scatterer and E.V.E. Compatibility.
  • Find better locations for the space centers, including optional medium and high altitude space centers for Eve.
  • Better science multipliers for Jool?
  • Unique descriptions (and names?) for every planet in the system depending upon which planet is the homeworld.
  • Texture Replacer textures for the kerbals of each planet.

Credits

@GregroxMun (Creator)

@Gordon Fecyk (Updating the mod to modern versions of KSP and Kopernicus, fixing bugs, balancing tweaks, and more)

@KillAshley (Surface Texture configs from KASE)

@Sigma88 (Assistance with the initial creation of Duna Space Program)

@Probus (Co-creator of Little Green Men from Mars, inspiration for Duna Space Program)

License

• Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 4.0
Edited by GregroxMun
Link to A.S.P. Re-Visited

6 minutes ago, Tynton said:

@GregroxMun

Nice addon!

But I would suggest two things:

-Gilly Space Program

-Jool Space Program

Gilly Space Program wouldn't quite work. The space center would be too large compared to the terrain and the runway would end up above the surface. However, a terraformed Jool space program is in fact a possible plan.

Oh wow. I wanted something like this and googled and here it is, posted only an hour ago haha :-D Going to try as soon as I'm home tomorrow. What would be amazing is to be able to switch between each one in game somehow...I don't know if that's possible as it seems like a feature you'd already have if it was haha.

1 hour ago, beta546 said:

What would be amazing is to be able to switch between each one in game somehow...

Saved games would be a mess because orbits and landed craft would refer to their parent bodies by an internal index number, and this changes with each home world change.

I haven't tried the new combined add-on yet. My first guess is you could have one or more saves for each home world, but only if you avoided loading a save into the wrong home world.

1 hour ago, beta546 said:

Oh wow. I wanted something like this and googled and here it is, posted only an hour ago haha :-D Going to try as soon as I'm home tomorrow. What would be amazing is to be able to switch between each one in game somehow...I don't know if that's possible as it seems like a feature you'd already have if it was haha.

34 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Saved games would be a mess because orbits and landed craft would refer to their parent bodies by an internal index number, and this changes with each home world change.

I haven't tried the new combined add-on yet. My first guess is you could have one or more saves for each home world, but only if you avoided loading a save into the wrong home world.

Actually the new release is designed to allow you to switch between planets within a save. You just have to stop the game and relaunch after going through the save file.

Edited by GregroxMun

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Actually the new release is designed to allow you to switch between planets within a save.

On my first attempt, I cheated a Laythe-based craft into Laythe orbit, saved, then switched to Duna. My cheated craft found itself in orbit of Duna. It would seem an asteroid I started tracking around Jool also found its way to Bin's orbit after the switch; Jool and Bin switched index numbers in kopernicus.log.

If only there was a way to keep the index order the same between switches. I wonder if Kopernicus lets us do that; I'll open an issue over there to ask. In the meantime, it seems best to make sure a given save is used only with a given home world.

The switching mechanism is damned clever, by the way! I'll have to look for that variable in the next ExV release's configuration set.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

More Module Manager n00b-itude here...

Now fixed. I discovered I had to copy the AlienSpaceProgramSettings {} section to each part, then I could effect tech tree changes based on the home world setting.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Solved on my own

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is brilliant, I've been wanting for a while to launch from Laythe without having to set up an Extraplanetary Launchpads base.

Does anyone have Delta-V maps in the works yet? I've been estimating it from the Kerbin-based map (here: http://i.imgur.com/RtGIuix.png), but it's not enough.

EDIT: I found one for Laythe and the rest of the Jool system (here: http://i.imgur.com/skAIz90.png), but I can't find it for Eve, Duna, etc.

Edited by tobybug
To partially answer my own question

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mrcarrot said:

@GregroxMun- How about:

Eeloo Space Program

Ike Space Program

Bop Space Program

Pol Space Program

Moho Space Program

Customized flags for each planet

I wont say "absolutely not" but I have no intention of doing the remains planets (except maybe Mun and Gilly) because for the other planets the challenges are not significantly different from other options. (And also in all of those cases except perhaps Moho, they are all much easier than Kerbin.)

As for custom flags for each planet that is available, that is within the realm of possibility.

6 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I wont say "absolutely not" but I have no intention of doing the remains planets (except maybe Mun and Gilly) because for the other planets the challenges are not significantly different from other options. (And also in all of those cases except perhaps Moho, they are all much easier than Kerbin.)

As for custom flags for each planet that is available, that is within the realm of possibility.

How about planet pack support? e.g. Tekto Space Program, etc.

16 hours ago, Mrcarrot said:

How about planet pack support? e.g. Tekto Space Program, etc.

OK, here's the list of possible Planet Pack Supports I'm willing to try in the future:

Uncharted Lands:

• Uncharted Eve Space Program (Similar to Eve Space Program, but the planet is even less hospitable.)
  • Uncharted Mun Space Program (Same stakes as Mun Space Program, but there's two moons and a planet to land on for your destination in the same system.)
  • Uncharted Gilly Space Program (your space program has practically zero launch costs, but it is on a highly eccentric captured alien rock)

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered:

• Alternis Tylo Space Program (Alternis Kerbol's Super Tylo would probably be harder to work with than any other space program aside from Jupiter's.)
  • Alternis Duna Space Program (Same as Duna Space Program, but orbiting a gigantic rocky planet.)
  • Alternis Eve Space Program (In case you miss starting off in a heliocentric orbit.)

Real Solar System/Little Green Men from Mars:

• Little Green Ladies from Venus (Venus' atmosphere must be reconfigured to allow rockets to work without RO.)
  • Little Green Men from Mars (Same Delta-V to orbit as Kerbin, but lower gravity and bigger destinations.)
  • Jolly Green Giants from Jupiter (Probably not gonna happen.)
  • Little Green Men from the Moon (If only to have a counterpart to Mun Space Program)
  • Frigid Little Men from Titan

Outer Planets Mod:

• Neidon Space Program (A tad easier than Jool Space Program, and this time you start at the edge of the solar system)
  • Tekto Space Program (This would definitely be a new set of gameplay mechanics to launch from. Still probably easier than stock and Duna SPs)

Ultimate Solar System (unreleased):

• If all goes to plan, every habitable planet in the system will have a Homeworld Swap feature.

Other Worlds (the upcoming rebooted version):

• I might find a good homeworld planet in the Cercani Star System to put the KSC so you can start there. The stock system would therefore become the foreign star system.

I am likely to do none of these, but it's possible I'll do some.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Mrcarrot said:

think you can prevent a thin atmosphere for non-atmospheric planets

Doesn't this break the atmospheric ISP value calculations for the stock rockets? I thought this was why the altered homeworlds had a 0.0001 m band of 101.3 kPa atmosphere at sea level.

28 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Doesn't this break the atmospheric ISP value calculations for the stock rockets? I thought this was why the altered homeworlds had a 0.0001 m band of 101.3 kPa atmosphere at sea level.

I wouldn't know; I don't mod parts.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, EricDaWizard said:

Im having some issues changing my homeworld planet, and i have installed all the mods. anyone have any ideas?

Typo? in HomeWorldSetting.cfg, spelling needs to be exact, or nothing will happen. What kind of issues are you having?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.