McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet 1:1 Replica

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet

deZUpbM.jpg

XC9GGt7.jpg

The F/A-18 Hornet is America's primary carrier based fighter/ attacker, and easily one of my favorite planes. As such, and to celebrate the funding of the F/A-18F Advanced Super Hornet, I worked extra hard on my replica of it, trying to include as many details and make it as accurate as possible. The replica is 1:1 scale down to 10cm, and features working replica armament in a loadout a F/A-18C would use.

sETTDG2.jpg

Drop Tanks away! It comes included with 6 AIM-120 AMRAAMs, 2 CBU-100 Rockeye Bombs, 3 drop tanks, and 4 Chaff pods. I simulated chaff pods with breakable extendable radio dishes, which when deployed break by aerodynamic forces and create a small cloud of bits of metal.

2j4PYds.jpg

One of the major hurdles when building was the horizontal stabilsers. The problem with making Hornet stabilisers is that they actuate fully, and there are no parts in the stock game that A. are that big, or B. have that rounded edge at the back. To get round this I sculpted the stabiliser, then attached it to a stock hinge inside the fuselage, then placed a flap in front of it, sandwiched between two RSC balls attached to the rotating assembly.

UWOkPtm.jpg

The end result being a correctly sized and shaped fin responding to controls, and producing the required control authority.

NmuZzpu.jpg

RkkZb6G.jpg

Notes:

Takeoff is a bit tricky, I using reccomend using afterburners and yawing off the runway at about 80m/s and pulling up then. The chaff pods only deploy at speeds of 100/s or less.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exsy7p6gnz8jp2v/McDonnell Douglas F_A-18C Hornet.craft?dl=0

BDA version Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cijp3p14oye7ajr/McDonnell Douglas F_A-18C Hornet BD.craft?dl=0

Read description for action groups.

(not for the faint of computer, its over 500 parts)

Enjoy!

Edited by MiffedStarfish

WOW. It looks absolutely fantastic. And that whole idea for the stabilizers is jaw-dropping. Just the part count makes me shiver. BTW do you think that hinge would work for the swept wings on the F-14?

Just now, Jackvony said:

WOW. It looks absolutely fantastic. And that whole idea for the stabilizers is jaw-dropping. Just the part count makes me shiver. BTW do you think that hinge would work for the swept wings on the F-14?

Thanks! I never seriously tried to make a F-14, but no reason why it shouldn't. Something a bit bigger and tougher might be better suited though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.