KSP Challenge: Landing on Duna!

Darth Badie

2 hours ago, XLjedi said:

No... in the rules of this challenge also.  The OP ruleset was a bit vague, but @Badie did clarify it. 

Maybe the clarified rules should be updated in the first post? 

There are a  LOT of people using SRB's, but SRB's are not allowed.

[goes back to fiddling with Atomic-Whiplash booster rocket]

So when @Badie posted "You  can use: Liquid Fuel, Solid Fuel, Intake Air, Monopropellant, EVA Fuel, Xenon Gas, and Electric Charge", that really means that Solid Fuel cannot be used?

I do not understand ...

Just now, Wallygator said:

So when @Badie posted "You  can use: Liquid Fuel, Solid Fuel, Intake Air, Monopropellant, EVA Fuel, Xenon Gas, and Electric Charge", that really means that Solid Fuel cannot be used?

I do not understand ...

Read my follow-up post... 

10 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Read my follow-up post... 

I see - no worries.  I don't usually ready through an entire thread prior to responding to a specific post directed at me.

Now... back to those challenges!  Many very good entries!

However in regard to SRBs,  @tanisi appears to have used them all and the global supply has been gutted. :wink:

Edited by Wallygator

My work takes almost all my time, but this is my attempt - "Dunosaur" Orbital retranslator and lander. Landed at 84d and 3h after start

On the launchpad

QlKnpHN49fE.jpg

Mission and maneur planning

sfs2FG230_A.jpg

Departure from Kerbin orbit

7Lz80dPwGRE.jpg

And after long and boring flight - Duna

85WS5xunIMw.jpg

Carefull aero braking

fOL4YAffV1M.jpg

And after decoupling with orbital module - landing

pYeCg2EIsfo.jpg

j-hyfavQpqE.jpg

hobbwH6NJ9s.jpg

Edited by Vaisman

1 hour ago, Wallygator said:

However in regard to SRBs,  @tanisi appears to have used them all and the global supply has been gutted. :wink:

Just as well, this might be unmanned but it certainly doesn't use any SRBs....

Launch Mass - just under 6 tons:

uzeLsWZ.png

The Duna Moth heads for the stars...

3JP7daz.png

And promptly catches fire.

Orbit achieved, 2 tons placed into orbit and burning for Duna:

hSmtWmt.png

And the probe heads towards Duna, and two correction burns later:

unSkIA1.png

Aerobraking didn't look very impressive, so here is the lander separation and deorbit burn:

5qW0maw.png

aSApk3A.png

Ex5rVGn.png

Landing was slightly hard and broke two landing struts, but it worked!

5 minutes ago, Vaisman said:

My work takes almost all my time, but this is my attempt - "Dunosaur" Orbital retranslator and lander. Landed at 84d and 3h after start

Album http://imgur.com/a/98Cpc will appear when post is submitted

Unfortunately it appears that you didn't submit your post or something, as it returns with the "Zoinks!" message and the weird giraffe and cats that have the eyes that follow your cursor. :P

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Unfortunately it appears that you didn't submit your post or something, as it returns with the "Zoinks!" message and the weird giraffe and cats that have the eyes that follow your cursor. :P

The URL seems to have an extra 'imgur.com/' at the start of it - try this:

http://imgur.com/a/98Cpc

ETA - the author has posted it as separate images - it's nice!

84 days to Duna, Nice!

Edited by 1101

2 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Ok I just reuploaded my vid with the launch footage that was left out on the previous one. Is there a way to delete my previous post?

Okay, I hid the previous post once.
Since multiple postings are allowed for one challenge, you (we) can publish new achievements.

1 hour ago, Badie said:

ohhh okay I´ll do my best to be more clear in the next Challenge but still I´m enjoying this one!!!!! :cool:

I take that to mean 'Send Jeb'.....

JUiKrH7.png

Duna Moth 2 - Crew Edition!

SM1ub91.png

Jeb complains he feels a bit squashed:

5QjdEWJ.png

Ground Control tells him he can stretch in 300 days....

This time, only one correction was used, and a straight up aerocapture to the parachute:

hi1Iv3W.png

roNCG42.png

Jeb says he won't be flying White Star Line again.  Ignoring the fact he's stranded on Duna.

7 hours ago, Badie said:

ohhh okay I´ll do my best to be more clear in the next Challenge but still I´m enjoying this one!!!!! :cool:

All right! I and my colleagues recognize that the rules of this challenge are very clear and creative. It is a very attractive challenge.

I sent two of them up there: a dozen SRB's to get into spaaaace and Quad NERVs the rest of the way. With a big tank of monoprop and some Puffs just in case. I'm not sure if a well-flown mission would be able to get back, but they have tons of extra fuel for just a one-way trip. 

Spoiler

See: No oxidizer!

LYlrnER.png

8L3Lc26.png

nKiSA8h.png

nAk1Q4b.png

VhxBgNG.png

ujTVeLh.png

rELOFPh.png

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Unfortunately do to a computer crash and how busy I've been this week I will not be able to participate in this challenge. However, once I get KSP up and running again this might be interesting to do in the Caveman challenge.

"bla bla --> comma , land on Duna without oxidizer of any kind at anytime" Is just wrong grammar. It should be "bla bla, land on Duna. Do all this without oxidizer of any kind at anytime."

The last sentence included "land on Duna," so the "without oxidizer" connects to "the landing" 100%.

Grammar is supposed to help the writer and the reader to make things clear, not confusing.

42 minutes ago, elektron2kim said:

"bla bla --> comma , land on Duna without oxidizer of any kind at anytime" Is just wrong grammar. It should be "bla bla, land on Duna. Do all this without oxidizer of any kind at anytime."

The last sentence included "land on Duna," so the "without oxidizer" connects to "the landing" 100%.

Grammar is supposed to help the writer and the reader to make things clear, not confusing.

I think a semicolon would work well in this case.

7 hours ago, elektron2kim said:

Its already clear that @Badie has taken on a good amount of positive constructive feedback on this.  Let's all step back and enjoy the various attempts at the challenge. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.