KSP Challenge: Landing on Duna!

Darth Badie

gbKgqVjOZfquxNRVoqGBeyQ_z5etQ5or-pdjuwVb

Hello everyone,

We are very happy and pleased with the response the KSP Challenges have been receiving. From the beginning we wanted to do something with the community where everybody could participate, share and have fun. We’ve had tons of fun making these, receiving suggestions from the community itself and seeing the amazing and creative crafts you have been sharing with all of us. We want to continue making new challenges, while maintaining and even improving their quality, so that everyone continues having fun and feel encouraged to try them out. That is the reason why we want to spread out the completion time for each challenge, depending on their complexity. This means that you will have more time to complete the challenges and we’ll have also more time to think of better ones for you to try out. From now on, we will mention how long each challenge will last (not every challenge will come out on a weekly basis). There will also be many surprises for upcoming challenges, so stay tuned. We hope you keep participating and sharing your crafts, and above all, have a lots of fun!

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: "Landing on Duna"

Take off from Kerbin, prepare to travel to Duna, land on Duna. Do this without oxidizer of any kind at anytime. ("anytime" means: no oxidizer on board  throughout the trip)

You  can use: Liquid Fuel, Solid Fuel, Intake Air, Monopropellant, EVA Fuel, Xenon Gas, and Electric Charge

Stock only, parachutes,  Solar Panels and RTGs are allowed.

You will have two weeks to submit your entries :wink:
Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Cool! I've already make a mission to IKE but.. When I was trying to get to Kerbin I landed for emergency on Duna, because I was almost with no fuel, then I separated the capsule from the transfer stage and I landed only with this parts: MK16 Parachute, MK1 Command Pod and a 1.25 Heat Shield... Yeah precarious situations.

Edited by SpaceOdissey

36 Parts. Might as well used 35 as the heat shield is not necessary on Duna and Jeb is not coming home aboard this one. Sorry Jeb. 

0KeC3yS.jpg

The Nukes do clear the SRB's The Delta wings were used for direction control. SRB's took the ship to space Ap.

25Jrwsl.jpg

Burning with nukes to circularize before heading to Duna.

fo6SQur.jpg

Came directly in (no circularization) with a Pe of about 20k and deployed chutes at first safe moment. We are running on vapors.

JJgHZsm.jpg

Landed safely with nothing to spare. Someone didn't plan ahead very well. 

2 boosters, 3 nukes, fuel switch mod, and science gear.

7B165144B8007796584AF138B81625DD66708E54

adding fins to boosters will allow you to gravity turn it and have good control mid flight

A5D7A8AFFC1A9B22916DACA7DB4022B1EBCE6982

going for orbit

F0A080A28A4DEF8D26C92DF8478526CB4A020E2F

smashing into Ike confirmed

88CBB65DF2A7A39E9BA6EE54E6914681ADCDECDA

smile for the camera Ike

1B42B1E79A330D292F1FD1DF166998495A71CA65

"did you remember parachutes?" of course you didnt

92A982C569EA714743E756F4FBA113351E1CA4DE

BCAE56E25B2F12FBF200A5E5ACC0C8DA39ABF7F7

coming in for that feather touch down

F6C527DA7D0905653D5CA535BBC92E8D8AA518CF

touch down confirmed *deploying science gears*

3BA9676D832A11DCF49A8D6BA4B10DCCCD8A848E

thanks for watching and dont forget to rate,share,and subscribe :P

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

36 Parts. Might as well used 35 as the heat shield is not necessary on Duna and Jeb is not coming home aboard this one. Sorry Jeb. 

0KeC3yS.jpg

The Nukes do clear the SRB's The Delta wings were used for direction control. SRB's took the ship to space Ap.

25Jrwsl.jpg

Burning with nukes to circularize before heading to Duna.

fo6SQur.jpg

Came directly in (no circularization) with a Pe of about 20k and deployed chutes at first safe moment. We are running on vapors.

JJgHZsm.jpg

Landed safely with nothing to spare. Someone didn't plan ahead very well. 

Looks like a cheap rocket for Duna! or.. (not in this thread): Eve!

update edit: was wrong, Badie has clarified no oxidiser on board for entire mission 

Sure someone will correct me if wrong, but my interpretation of the "no oxidiser" stipulation was that it applied to the landing only.

1) Take off from Kerbin

2) Travel to Duna 

3) Land on Duna w/out oxidiser 

That interpretation is largely informed by the comma placement and suggests an unpowered landing via parachute or perhaps gliding, immaculately timed solid booster retro rockets probably also pass on account of huge style points :)

Edited by MiniMatt

11 hours ago, SpaceOdissey said:

Looks like a cheap rocket for Duna! or.. (not in this thread): Eve!

Challenge accepted.... and massive devastation ensued at 50k above Eve. It would take a redesign to shield the nukes from heat.  

2 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

Sure someone will correct me if wrong, but my interpretation of the "no oxidiser" stipulation was that it applied to the landing only.

1) Take off from Kerbin

2) Travel to Duna 

That interpretation is largely informed by the comma placement and suggests an unpowered landing via parachute or perhaps gliding, immaculately timed solid booster retro rockets probably also pass on account of huge style points :)

I also interpreted the challenge as you did - that oxidizer is allowed for any time else other than the actual deorbit/landing on Duna.

3 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

1) Take off from Kerbin

2) Travel to Duna 

I thought the same thing when I first read it. When I read through it a second time, I realized they meant for the ship to never use OX at all. They try to be pretty specific with these challenges so no one misinterprets or exploits the rules. I think the addition of the word "all" would've made it a bit more clear. Probably should say, "launch from Kerbin and travel to Duna, then land on Duna; all without ever using OX at any time". When you read it again you get it, but that first read-through can be a bit misleading.

I actually thought I was just an idiot for misreading it, though. :confused:

Guess that may not necessarily be untrue, but at least I wasn't the only one. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.