Fixing a design mistake

Help! I made a mistake!

I am playing a career with CLS* and I have been building a space station and I made a mistake. I placed a large reaction wheel next to my laboratory to help with the launch and the docking, but I did not check whether it was passable in CLS. It is not. Now, my lab is not accessible from the rest of my station.

How would you go about fixing this? The obvious answer is KIS/KAS, but the mass of the lab and the further bits and pieces connected to the lab would make it quite troublesome to attach it, I guess I would need a big EVA party to be able to KIS/KAS attach the lab after removing the stupid reaction wheel from between it and the station.

Would you suggest any other node that could maybe help me?

*CLS = Connected Living Space

Edited by canisin

4 minutes ago, canisin said:

Would you suggest any other node that could maybe help me?

If it is just an honest mistake, just edit the KIS config file for the time being. You can make a single kerbal carry 100's of tons, be able to re-attach it. then just reset the config files.

Trying to fix this legitimately is just going to be bad gameplay...you are playing ksp for fun, right?

Just now, Blaarkies said:

If it is just an honest mistake, just edit the KIS config file for the time being. You can make a single kerbal carry 100's of tons, be able to re-attach it. then just reset the config files.

Trying to fix this legitimately is just going to be bad gameplay...you are playing ksp for fun, right?

Thanks! That is not a bad idea. Although, it is mistakes like these that challenge me to come up with interesting solutions and missions. Let's see if anyone else has other suggestions.

Btw, I guess, alternatively I can edit my save file to add a CLS module to the reaction wheel to make this particular one passable, right? (altho, I am not sure if that is how CLS works, or not?)

15 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

KIS/KAS seems to be a good idea, but concider this too:

I'd probably just replace the module.

I laughed so much! I can't believe how relevant this is to my problem. The hot knife is *exactly* what I need! I just need to cut away that reaction wheel.

You did a smart thing. That particular lab with the grey and black end ring installed is a BSL-4 (biosafety level 4) orbital laboratory. You don't want that directly attached to the habit module. OH&S concerns require kerbals to transfer via EVA only. 

@canisin:

You can add a CLS module to the reaction wheel or turn CLS off when you're at that station, I suppose.  I know that CLS has an off button mainly intended to let you evacuate old stations if you decide to install CLS in the middle of a save, but nothing prevents you from using it at any other time.  Given that this appears to be CLS doing exactly what it was designed to do, it all depends on the point at which you think you go from setting the parameters of your play style to cheating at solitaire.

For what it's worth, if you're going to play this game, then you're going to have to roll with the punches.  The fact that you effectively punched yourself in this case just means you should have a good laugh and move on, whether you decide to bring the large construction crew, de-orbit the module and send a replacement, or do what @bonyetty suggests and suddenly remember that you meant to install it that way--OH&S is important, after all.  You wouldn't want wild goo just floating about in the crew compartment.

Edited by Zhetaan

@bonyetty thanks a lot for the answer, that really is a good and creative explanation! :D

@Zhetaan, I think I have found my own solution, I will KIS detach both ends of the reaction wheel, then move it away, then KIS attach weldable construction ports from MKS on both sides of the rift, dock the lab back on the construction ports and weld!! :D

Edited by canisin

Yes, instead of a large party, use KIS to install docking ports on desired location on the space station and on the end of the science module. 

fly a craft up, dock with the science module and break the reaction wheel free from the science module (you may have to blow it up. be careful).

attach a docking port to the newly released end of the science module and fly it over to it's new location and presto! not only is it in a new location, it' MODULAR! and can be moved at any time.

really, i prefer building my stations in pieces for just this reason!

Edit: I seem to be late to the party. sorry!

Edited by Thedrelle
im late!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.