Transferring from Steam KSP to GoG's DRM-Free version

Hi. After seeing that I want to play KSP without having to drag Steam and other personal stuff of it with me, I've decided to buy the GOG/DRM-free version. I also intend to infect a few people at my university by playing it there :p. 

My question here is if I actually have to reinstall EVERYTHING or if I just need to grab something like GOG's ksp.exe or some file just so it doesn't launch the Steam version? Just need to know, because my internet is not the fastest where I am (and somewhat limited), so it would be good to know, provided anybody actually did the same. 

I suppose, too, that you can just copypaste the savegames?

I will be sticking with 1.2.2. for now as I still have a lousy career going.

3 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

The Steam version has no DRM

To be even more precise: No matter where you bought KSP, it is DRM free. All versions (except console) are exactly the same.

Agree on the every KSP version is DRM free part. But in case you were more concerned about the "how do I move my career saves from Steam to GOG?" part of the question, all you need to take is the saves folder. All other game files and folders are the same on both versions, though there are certain added files that are specific to each distribution platform. So also don't think that since it's all the same you can just copy your entire KSP folder from Steam to GOG and expect it to work, you will have to redownload the core game from GOG and copy your saves folder to start where you left off.

Doh. Really? I always thought it would launch steam if I had copypasted the steam version.

One thing I also wanted to avoid was getting any version patched to 1.3 since I still have a few adventures going in 1.2.2 ( I am aware that you can 'add a non steam game). 

Hmmmmmmmmmm. :(

So ok. Let me drag the steam ksp folder on my external hdd to test it.

If it really works, then maybe a GOG refund is at order.

Edit - wooops. Thanks for the responses!

Edit2 - well. Lol... It worked. Mmmm. Darn it. Refund gog? I still wonder if it would still be good to keep the GOG version, especially with TakeTwo now in charge xD.

#pessimism

Edited by Spraki

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.