How do I use PS4 controller on PC for ksp

I don't think you can. But even if you could, I wouldn't recommend it, it would be like using a piece of fruit as a TV remote. The game was made for PC, and the controls were made for keyboard, and the experience would be significantly worse using a controller. 

Edit: you might be able to. Plug in your controller, go into settings > inputs, then try and bind keys to controller buttons. It might recognise the thumb sticks as joysticks.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

First question -- windows or osx/linux?

For windows -- anything that shows up as a game-input controller should be selectable as a control for KSP.  That means it needs to have proper driver support.  As far as I'm aware, that currently is not available from either MS or Sony, and third-part hacks are needed.

Possibly this would be a good place to start:

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-use-the-ps4-dualshock-4-controller-on-a-pc-1309014

(Sorry, no clue how input devices work for OSX or Linux variants)

I've been running an xbox one controller for KSP. I strongly recommend it for flight controls and keyboard & mouse for operating the UI and building stuff. WASD flight seems so rough after using a controller.
Looks like from Shadowmage's link, bluetooth is probably the easiest way. Your controller needs to be connected before launching KSP and remain connected the entire play session (it cannot be re-connected), otherwise it will not work!
I've been using my controller plugged in via USB mainly to avoid the bluetooth connection issues. Though wireless is nice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.