Returning to KSP

skylinkdave

Hi there! I used to play KSP a couple years ago but gave up in frustration. But now I have decided to give it another shot, so I have reinstalled the game and I'm trying it again.

The source of my frustration was something simple - I suck at creating decent orbits. For some reason, they always come out lopsided. I've watched lots of tutorial videos and I know what to do, it just seems like my execution is way off. I think my problem lies with misusing the maneuver node. I'll grab the prograde tab and drag it until the periapsis and apoapsis "flip" but how much is enough? I think I'm still pulling on the prograde marker too long. Maybe I'm clicking the "add maneuver node" button too soon or in the wrong place. I always feel pressured to add the maneuver node and adjust it quickly before my rocket reaches apoapsis, and maybe this is causing me to be sloppy. I'm open to any and all suggestions so I can get them right, get past this, and start enjoying the game :-) 

Three hints/suggestions/thoughts. 

1) It is almost impossible to get a perfectly circular orbit. 

2) It is never necessary to get a perfectly circular orbit. 

3) Even if you do, a tiny bit of round-off error in the game's internal math means the orbit would not stay perfectly circular. 

In summation, you will get better with practice, but it really doesn't matter. :D

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I shouldn't stress over it so much? I've been practicing a lot and I think I have improved my orbits. I tried a different rocket and found it to be a lot easier. I also think I was trying to enter orbit from too steep of an angle. I'm just happy when my apo and peri are within 10,000m of each other :D  

1 hour ago, skylinkdave said:

I think I have corrected the mistakes I was making in the past. Gonna do lots of practice orbits, then shoot for the Mun! :D 

Remember the tips from the tutorial:

-Increase Pe height by burning towards pro-grade:prograde: exactly at the Ap marker
-Decrease Pe height by burning towards retro-grade:retrograde: exactly at the Ap marker

-Increase Ap height by burning towards pro-grade:prograde: exactly at the Pe marker
-Decrease Ap height by burning towards retro-grade:retrograde: exactly at the Pe marker

-Change inclination by burning towards normal:normal:/anti-normal:antinormal: exactly at the An/Dn marker(you have to click on the Mun, then "set as target" to see these)

These 5 are all the tricks you need to fix your orbits. Each one of them will only change a single variable at a time, meaning you will easily match the trick to the result. Once you master these, you will get a better feel about what happens when you burn far away from any markers, and how mixing these directions into a single burn will affect your orbit.

P.S. I did not say anything about radial-in:radial:/radial-out:antiradial: ? Because you don't need them...i am serious, ignore them until you are comfortable with these 5 above.