Journey To The Outer Planets [PART THE FIRST (2.0): RESTART DUE TO 1.3.1 AND BARIS]

KAL 9000

[NOTE: This is a fresh start/reboot of "The Outer Planets Adventures!", which some of you may remember. It is in a different save, so some past events mentioned in both series may be contradictory, although they did actually happen.] 

[NOTE: @Angel-125's Wild Blue Industries mods will be featured heavily in this Mission Report, for the simple reason that I like them and they are very well put together.]

The space program was looking better than ever. Five bases on Duna were constantly staffed, and a permanent colony had been established on the Mun. Plans were even underway for a sample-return from the inescapable hellscape of Eve. With the recent return of the DSEV-02 Columbia, even the Jool 5 challenge was now complete. 

It was time for exploration of the outer planets to begin in earnest. Apart from initial flyby probes and Joolileo-style orbital missions, the outer gas giants were a mystery. Plock was even more unexplored due to the enormous Delta-V requirement, with just one probe, Plock Horizons, having performed a flyby of the Plock-Karen system. Exploration had really been more focused on the inner planets, the Dresteroid Belt, and Jool, which were far easier to reach Delta-V wise. 

Excluding RTGs and LV-Ns, nuclear technology had really only been used twice in space: on the DSEV-01 Enterprise, which carried the first Kerbonauts to Duna and Ike before going on to Dres and returning, and the DSEV-02 Columbia, which recently completed the Jool 5 mission and is now scheduled to travel back and forth between Kerbin and Jool for later expeditions. Both of those craft have nuclear reactors for power, and an advanced Supernova engine custom-built by Wild Blue Industries to be as ridiculously efficient as possible. 

The next target of the KSP's exploration is Sarnus and its moons. Gene and Mission Control have hashed together a rough timetable: 

[KERBIN-SARNUS TRANSFER WINDOW 01] 

-Sarnus Expedition 1 (SE-1) departure. The SE-1 consists of a mothership probe that will carry communications relay satellites and an ion-powered orbital survey probe to Sarnus orbit, and a completely separate standalone probe that will refine on the orbital surveys of the other probe using a Wild Blue Industries TERRAIN scanner. 

[KERBIN-SARNUS TRANSFER WINDOW 02] 

-Sarnus Expedition 2 (SE-2) departure. The SE-2 will consist of a crewed DSEV-class mothership and an assortment of landers, as well as separately launched and transfer-burned supply drops to assemble a Pathfinder base on Eeloo to be a base of operations for the mission. 

[SOME TIME LATER] 

-SE-1 arrival. SE-1 (hopefully) completes primary mission. 

[SOME TIME LATER] 

-SE-2 arrival. Due to SE-2's actual mission being made up on the fly based on the results of SE-1, no further mission statuses can be anticipated from here. 

---

Wild Blue Industries has been contracted to make a new DSEV-class vessel, entitled DSEV-03 ChallengerChallenger will be heavily modified and almost completely different from Enterprise and Columbia, due to Challenger being required to go vastly longer without resupply or refurbishment. 

---

Stay tuned for screenshots and more updates coming soonTM.

Edited by KAL 9000

I found these in my Screenshots folder... 

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM ARCHIVE FOOTAGE 

PLOCK HORIZONS DEPARTURE - ONBOARD CAMERA 01

W9SyfN8.png

PLOCK HORIZONS DEPARTURE - ONBOARD CAMERA 02

4XQqOuc.png

PLOCK HORIZONS DEPARTURE - HOW DID WE GET THIS PERSPECTIVE 

5xbgDOu.png

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Wow, I'm honored that you'd use my mods in your save and stories! Definitely looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Thanks! I actually have a question for you about Pathfinder: 

Will there ever be Buckboard-form factor versions of the Hacienda, Doc, etc., like the Ponderosa is to the Casa? It would make transporting them outside of KIS inventories much easier.

Edited by KAL 9000

30 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Thanks! I actually have a question for you about Pathfinder: 

Will there ever be Buckboard-form factor versions of the Hacienda, Doc, etc., like the Ponderosa is to the Casa? It would make transporting them outside of KIS inventories much easier.

I thought of that at one point but went the other direction; namely, flat packing the inflatable parts. I kept the original boxed hab for compatibility. Pathfinder was made with KIS in mind, which is why you have the Buckboards and the Mule storage containers 

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I thought of that at one point but went the other direction; namely, flat packing the inflatable parts. I kept the original boxed hab for compatibility. Pathfinder was made with KIS in mind, which is why you have the Buckboards and the Mule storage containers 

I get that, but I've always liked how the deflated Ponderosa is physically a container that you can see and put in a Buffalo without any additional packaging, if you get what I'm saying.

I've flown the Challenger into LKO to test it before the launch window. I forgot to take a screenshot from the exterior KSC scientists have not yet worked out how to image the Challenger with no nearby crafts while also preserving the integrity of the "Fourth Wall". 

SUIT CAM - "Broken EMH"

YOJI07J.png

SUIT CAM - "Bill is fixing it" 

uHNnLJb.png

SUIT CAM - "Another view of the EMH" 

89GDqnz.png

SUIT CAM - "Includes Juice Box! YIPPEE! Also, that ice cream looks delicious... hi, Mister Blocko, Jr.!" 

We7s3zl.png

SUIT CAM - "This feels awfully similar to HAL's central processing core..." 

TK3Sqtr.png

SUIT CAM - "Plant Growth Study or wanting fresh produce?" 

Bb1al83.png

SUIT CAM - "DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR WITHOUT DEPRESSURIZATION UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE VIOLENTLY FLUNG INTO THE COLD, DARK VACUUM OF SPACE" 

8hl2doQ.png

SUIT CAM - "EMHception" 

nah3qfa.png

SUIT CAM - "In the Cryo Shelter"

vH01tSb.png

SUIT CAM - "And the lower level"

lRwscTA.png

SUIT CAM - "The hab section of the centrifuge"

OTIWTsB.png

"SUIT CAM - The lab section of the centrifuge" 

QhDyQ3P.png

SUIT CAM - "The greenhouse section of the centrifuge" 

EGJYg76.png

SUIT CAM - "Testing the cryopods" 

hxyNmGI.png

SUIT CAM - "Oh, a hospital lifesigns meter!" 

BssP81s.png

ADDITIONAL NOTICE: The cryopod test subject was thawed successfully. The lost Glykerol was replaced with HyperEdit by a resupply mission. 

END FOOTAGE

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to recover three of the missing screenshots!

SarnusSCANSat-Computer(ID:SPI-OPSE/1A8): COMMAND RECEIVED: UPLOAD ALL PHOTOS DESIGNATED "SCREENSHOT"... 

SarnusSCANSat-Computer(ID:SPI-OPSE/1A8): BEGINNING UPLOAD... 

SarnusSCANSat-Computer(ID:SPI-OPSE/1A8): ERROR! UPLOAD FAILURE! 

---

The technician on duty at the Tracking Station looked at the readouts on his screen, and turned to his superior. "Sir, there's been some sort of error with the Screenshot photo uploads from Sarnus... Looks like a glitch, I'll get the computing division to take a look."

"Did we get anything back?"

"We get all the normal telemetry and science readouts. For some reason, the images are coming through garbled. I've managed to patch through three of them."

A display screen switched from displaying probe trajectories around Sarnus to what at first appeared as static. The screen gradually got less pixelated as algorithms and image-enhancement systems worked overtime, and it soon resolved into an image. 

SARNUS SCANSAT IN SARNUS ORBIT

dC6OqGZ.png

The screen switched to another image. 

SARNUS SCANSAT IN NOMINAL OVOK SURVEY ORBIT 

vQVmTBY.png

SARNUS SCANSAT IN NOMINAL EELOO SURVEY ORBIT

tvHOFEh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is being made! 

The first supply shipments are arriving at Sarnus. First to arrive is the Eeloo base (or what will become the Eeloo base, at any rate). 

SdXxG6R.png

Stowed in the KIS inventories of the three Mule MLMs are all the parts needed to set up a base that can bootstrap to full operations. 

i5wuTJk.png

The next (and final, for now) supplies to arrive will be the MaterialKits and Equipment needed to set up the base.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I've been un-breaking my own career save to the point that BARIS is now working properly. It might help your own game...

Okay

On 10/25/2017 at 10:39 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Looking forward to it :wink:

A COMMENT FROM THE MIGHTY @Geschosskopf?! I'M HONORED!

On 10/25/2017 at 9:33 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

I resemble that remark! :sticktongue:

Yes. Yes, you do. :)

Edited by KAL 9000

• 1 month later...

We're back! A while later, but we're back!

INTERPLANETARY SPACE - DSEV CHALLENGER

The onboard AI prepared the automated announcement. "Passing Duna orbit in 3... 2... 1... Mark." Although everyone was in cryosleep, it still felt the need to do this sort of thing, if only to alleviate the boredom of interplanetary travel. 

---

"Passing Dres orbit in 3... 2... 1... Mark."

---

"Passing Jool orbit in 3... 2... 1... Mark."

---

"Entering Sarnus SOI in 3... 2... 1... Mark."

---

"Sarnus circularization burn completed. Initiating crew wake-up protocol."

---

The protocol was to wake up the commander of the mission first, so Cryopod-01 prepared to awaken its occupant, Jeb. It first warmed to room temperature, and waited for a few hours for all the ice to melt. The IV inserted into Jeb stopped pumping in antifreeze and a sedative, and started pumping in harmless chemicals that would break up the antifreeze and a quick boost of adrenaline to wake him up after a year of sleep. 

Soon, everyone was awake, and the first task of the mission was underway: The TARBABYs (Tekto Autonomous Reconnaissance Bi-Automatic Base Y-Class) are a series of drone aircraft mounted to transfer stages. They arrived separately, and will be remote-controlled from the Challenger. Their job is to explore and survey Tekto, a task impossible from orbit (except for radar) due to Tekto's thick cloud cover.

---

"Sir, TARBABY-03's picking up something."

"Huh?"

"Appears to be some sort of radio signal... I can't make heads or tails of it, but I'm flying towards it now."

"Alright, keep me posted."

---

"HOLY [REDACTED FROM LOG]!!!"

Tune in next time for more of the slow-updating insanity (and maybe some pictures)!

5 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE SUPERNOVA ENGINE

Working on it. Darned computer!

Some of the older pics in this thread now have pics.  Heheh, you beat me to doing a mission with the main DSEV parts.  Those are totally awesome (thanks @Angel-125)!  I've never quite gotten to that point in my own games yet, but I use a lot of the tanks and hex trusses quite frequently.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.