[1.4.x] Notantares Space Industries - Stockalike UR-700, Angara, Big Soyuz, and more!

NISSKEPCSIM

STATUS UPDATE:
The main engine for the Angara boosters is done!

9mhQAAD.jpg

xICQsZr.jpg

kCTuP24.jpg

Nx549Qj.jpg

You may ask, "How did you create an engine like this so fast?" And you're right. I didn't just create it out of thin air over the course of a day...

UqryFO1.jpg

A close-up of the engine, highlighting the Notantares logo and the soon-to-become signature navy stripe.

hTytiAg.jpg

A comparison shot of my engine, which is highly stylized, and the real one on a rendering of the Angara A5 rocket. There are many minor differences, but my engine still retains the basic shape and functionality.

...It was actually an asset from a top-secret project me and [REDACTED] were working on. However, this engine wasn't up to the same standard as the rest of this parts from this project, so I decided to store it away in case I ever needed it again. "When did I first make it?" you may ask...

screenshot92.png

My engine has fully-functioning emissives, a long, blue flame trail exhaust, and slightly over 4° of gimbal.

screenshot98.png

...Well... there's no easy way to say this... the part is 4 and a half months old!

screenshot103.png

screenshot110.png

"What is the secret project?" you may ask...

giphy.gif

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

STATUS UPDATE:

All of the 2.5m tanks are now finished!

Capture7.JPG

Same stats and sizes as the stock tanks...

Capture8.JPG

But with hi-res textures and normal maps...

Capture9.JPG

And that clean, smart look of modern rocket parts!

Capture10.JPG

(With sharp contrast to the stock tanks, the bulky, grungy parts they are)

Capture11.JPG

Each tank also has its own distinctive feature...

The Jumbo-sized tank has the signature side-pipes, the medium tank has a smooth, clean surface, and the small one has the tiny "flammable" symbol on its side!

Time to move on to the RD-0124, and then the Briz-M upper stage!

STATUS UPDATE:

Nothing much done today, except for this combined spherical fuel tank bulkhed + N1-style truss decoupler to be used as the decoupler between the core stage booster and the URM-2 upper stage of the Angara rockets:

Capture12.JPG

In Unity.

screenshot308.png

On an Angara mockup standing on the launch pad (High upper middle).

screenshot307.png

On an Angara mockup standing on the launch pad (Upper middle).

I actually flew this entire test flight, which, apart from the LES and the Poodle (Standing in for my as-of-yet unfinished RD-0124), was made entirely of parts from NotantaresLV and Notantares Big Soyuz! To read about the full mission, including pics, visit this post in What Did You Do In KSP Today:

• 2 weeks later...

This new mod, Notantares Station Parts (Don't worry, I'm still working on NotantaresLV), will include the above inflatable hab, a larger, 5m one, a smaller, 2.5m one, a small centrifuge with a 5 - 6 metre diameter, and a larger centrifuge with an 8 - 10 metre diameter.

STATUS UPDATE:

Merry Christmas (Or other holiday you celebrate at this time) and a happy new year!

I have released the inflatable habitat and centrifuge as a Christmas gift to all of you. It seems that, when I mod, I always dangle the bait in front of your face without giving it to you. Since NotantaresLV has been slated for release for over a month now, I've decided to let you fiddle around with test versions of the inflatable hab and centrifuge.

NOTE: YOU CANNOT STOP THE CENTRIFUGE SPINNING ONCE IT STARTS.

ALSO NOTE: THE VIDEO, UP TO AROUND 2:00, IS SPED UP BY 2x. THE DISPLAYED INFLATION SPEEDS ARE NOT THE REAL SPEEDS.

Grab it on Github!

(Or just politely take it... I don't mind.)

Happy holidays everybody!

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

STATUS UPDATE:

Ooh... what's this?

DarkSideTechnology Continued.

CwOiSVj.jpg

Another Christmas present for you all!

@Badsector kindly allowed me to take over DarkSideTechnology, and that's exactly what I've done. The "DarkSideTechnologyContinued" mini-pack shall simply be a re-release of DarkSideTechnology, with patches and other fixes applied where necessary. I shall also attempt to create an IVA for it in my free time, which will fit in with the style that Badsector textured the exterior with.

Download From Github!

Merry Christmas everybody!

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

STATUS UPDATE:

More habs!

Capture59.JPG

Capture60.JPG

(There were a few texture discrepancies which I fixed in a later part edit.)

screenshot18.png

Tantares doesn't have this!

screenshot21.png

screenshot28.png

screenshot35.png

screenshot38.png

screenshot39.png

screenshot40.png

screenshot44.png

rkk_evolution_1.png

The large hab can hold 8 crew, and is a science lab;

The medium-sized hab can hold 6 crew, and is a partial science lab;

The small hab can hold 4 crew, and is a small crew container with a few science experiments.

---

Another version of the medium-sized 6-crew hab is currently in the process of being made. Instead of deflating just into a long cylinder, it shall only have a bottom attachment node, and deflate like a balloon into a small, flat container. After this, I will work on a larger, 2.5m inflatable centrifuge, and another, 2.5m rigid, mechanical centrifuge, à la the Hermes from the Martian. I will also be squeezing in work on the RD-0124 engine for the Angara's URM-2 upper stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I really need to do some additional testing and modification of my old paraglider...

The capsule in the video is my Porkalike Gemini-style pod, not the BDB Gemini pod the glider was designed to work with, so that might explain part of the reason why it wobbles and spins and plummets like a stone rather than gliding... but it still should be designed for multi-purpose use, so I might have to fiddle around with it a little more.

---

In other news, I hereby present to you the L.É. Salyutations!

screenshot0.png

Powered by 4 nuclear engines with 2 side-mounted drop tanks.

screenshot15.png

Total of 40 crew capacity.

screenshot25.png

Dual rotating centrifuges.

screenshot30.png

2 cupolas.

And 2 inflatable hab modules!

And a Salyut station at the front, because I can.

NOTE:

Hopefully I shall have the next release of Notantares SP out by next week, and Notantares LV will probably be released within the next few weeks. I hope to release it before February breezes by as fast as January did! I will also attempt to modify the paraglider in order to get it to work with a variety of stock and modded capsules without performing... rapid unplanned loop-the-loop plummeting™.

STATUS UPDATE:

The paraglider has now had a complete config overhaul so that it is a lot easier to control, doesn't stall as often, generates more lift so it can carry heavier pods, and is now a control surface as well as a wing!

Github.

Hopefully you guys enjoy flying this paraglider more than the previous one, which controlled like a pig and had a tendency to violently roll and flip at random times!

It has arrived!

After over 3 months of waiting, NotantaresLV is finally here, and includes:

A full modular suite of 2.5m and 3.75m fuel tanks!

An RD-0124 upper stage engine!

An Angara URM-1 booster engine!

An integrated truss decoupler!

And a 2.5m fairing and aerodynamic nosecones!

Download on Github.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

STATUS UPDATE:

I think I know what rocket I'll be adding to NotantaresLV next...

ur700a_1.jpg

It will probably be modular enough to allow for both the UR-700 and the UR-700A to be built, but I shall be using the UR-700A as reference for the parts.

It shall to scale with the BDB Saturn V. (ie; The upper stages will be 5.625m in diameter, the boosters probably 2.5m.

And I will also create an LK-700 lander based on Chelomei's design after the completion of the UR-700 rocket.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

• 1 month later...

STATUS UPDATE:

Progress on the upper stage fuel tanks...again?

1xMugSW.jpg

ZMLXsdK.jpg

Well, the older tanks were plain and boring and actually lower res than my 3.75m fuel tanks! So I decided to redo them.

dZIt5sf.jpg

wbJR051.jpg

This is basically the entire fuel tank segment of the UR-700A second stage:

4U7gb5y.jpg

"...We're a happy family..."

y9xpGeu.jpg

Also, work starting on the engine mounting plate for the second stage, so you can attach 7 of the RO-31 engines:

d53gAVJ.jpg

EDIT:

Also, although I still have to do additional testing, I believe that Notantares remains functional in 1.4.1.

Also also, Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

STATUS UPDATE:

7 nuclear engines with 100 kN of thrust each? What kind of monstrosity is this!?

z66Su7i.png

Many thanks to @Beale for the beautiful plume he allowed me to steal use!

K3f0Dyn.png

GHnWXdt.jpg

Anybody order a small star?

DZNKhwn.jpg

Interstages, fairings, and the third (Or fourth, depending on how you look at it) stage will be coming soon!

After considering three possible designs of the launch pad, the one involving a partially buried launch platform was adopted, probably in order to reduce associated wind pressure on the towering vehicle.

Perhaps one day I shall make a Kerbal Konstructs launch facility for this behemoth of a rocket... who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

STATUS UPDATE:

Notantares Space Industries Presents...

V 1.1 "Totally Accurate Angara Simulator! (TAAS)"

QMNZbPe.pngEovIrrg.png

I spent the better part of 5 hours this morning and 2 hours this evening to get all this work done -- But you guys don't have to concern yourselves with that, just enjoy the update!

V 1.1 on Github

So, inside the spoiler is a quick run-down of all the changes I made (The update will break existing craft, so you have been warned!).

Spoiler

Okay, so, let's start with the first few things I did:

I duplicated and resized the 2.5m tanks so that they would have 1.875m copies, for the lower core stage and boosters of the Angara - This included changing the mass and fuel values!

tWAQrlC.png

I remade the shroud for the RD-0124 engine so the bottom is 1.875m and the top is 2.5m!

JDOk2Zk.pngQg0igrc.png

I resized the booster engine and nosecone to fit the 1.875m tanks!

X43tnFJ.png

I made the white of the fairing texture brighter to fit in with the other parts!

oOanmfm.png

And I implemented texture switching for the long 1.875m tank and the short 2.5m tank!

l7E3T6c.pngp8RIqSd.png

---

And here's what it all looks like together!

EovIrrg.png

Much better than the previous version, with its 2.5m boosters and fairing texture that was very much darker than the rest of the rocket!

BTW, I am still making progress on the UR-700 and UR-700A parts -- here's a quick screenshot of the WIP interstage for the 2nd (Or is it 3rd? :confused:) stage:

gYeLWmx.png

It will include built-in retro motors!

STATUS UPDATE:

Oh, also, I finally uploaded those extra Notantares Station Parts inflatable habs that I posted pictures of back in December but never released to Github.

So, here you go, you now have two extra inflatable habs while I continue work on the UR-700 and UR-700A!

c0mbfyY.pngBKeBvpj.png

------

I also completely revamped the OP, so it's less cluttered and easier to navigate!

I also added all my mods to Spacedock!

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

26 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Anyone else having issues with the paraglider part not showing up?

Oh good, it's not just me.  Yeah, I'm having the same issue.  From my KSP.log:

[LOG 16:48:14.535] Load(Model): Notantares Space Industries/Gemini Paraglider/Para-Wing_B/GeminiParaglider_1	[ERR 16:48:14.575] File error:
Arg_InsufficientSpace
Parameter name: chars
  at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.InternalGetChars (System.Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, System.Char* chars, Int32 charCount, System.UInt32& leftOverBits, System.UInt32& leftOverCount, System.Object provider, System.Text.DecoderFallbackBuffer& fallbackBuffer, System.Byte[]& bufferArg, Boolean flush) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.InternalGetChars (System.Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, System.Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex, System.UInt32& leftOverBits, System.UInt32& leftOverCount, System.Object provider, System.Text.DecoderFallbackBuffer& fallbackBuffer, System.Byte[]& bufferArg, Boolean flush) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.GetChars (System.Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, System.Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadCharBytes (System.Char[] buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count, System.Int32& bytes_read) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.PeekChar () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PartReader.ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PartReader.ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PartReader.Read (.UrlFile file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0	[WRN 16:48:14.575] Model load error in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Notantares Space Industries\Gemini Paraglider\Para-Wing_B\GeminiParaglider_1.mu'