What mod features have been incorporated into stock?

bitmapmedivh

Hello there, new player here!

I've been sinking about 100 hours into the game since I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale and am having a blast. So by now I've started going through the forums and wiki to learn as much as I can and start exploring what mods there are for the game. But I've found that it's not the easiest thing to find mods that are up-to-date or what mods have simply become obselete by newer versions of the game. I like to keep my list of mods down to the minimum in any games I play both to keep balance and keep redundant or duplicated functions from mod in check.

So, my question is simply what's stated in the thread title: what features added by mods have been incorporated into the stock game? From what I've been able to gather, RemoteTech has been made atleast partially redundant by the CommNet function, some of SCANsat's old function have been added through KerbNet and the system with Autostruts and Rigid joints come from mods like KJR. Is this correct, and/or are there more?

There are some space planes parts that were added into stock but there are hundreds more that are better for various reasons. Scansat is also fun to have even if it is a little redundant (I hardly use it lately so not sure how redundant it really is). there is already a group of parts allowing you to mine ore and turn it into fuel for your shuttle off world, but there are many mods that expand on, like extra planetary launch pads, which lets you mine metal and refine it into rocket parts and then build entire shuttle off world to launch.  other then that not sure if any other mods/mod features are in stock.

12 hours ago, bitmapmedivh said:

I've been sinking about 100 hours into the game since I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale and am having a blast. So by now I've started going through the forums and wiki to learn as much as I can and start exploring what mods there are for the game. But I've found that it's not the easiest thing to find mods that are up-to-date or what mods have simply become obselete by newer versions of the game. I like to keep my list of mods down to the minimum in any games I play both to keep balance and keep redundant or duplicated functions from mod in check.

So, my question is simply what's stated in the thread title: what features added by mods have been incorporated into the stock game? From what I've been able to gather, RemoteTech has been made atleast partially redundant by the CommNet function, some of SCANsat's old function have been added through KerbNet and the system with Autostruts and Rigid joints come from mods like KJR. Is this correct, and/or are there more?

Interesting question and welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

The 48-7S "Spark" liquid fueled engine was originally part of the KSPX mod and was later incorporated into the stock game.

...as well as the Mk1 Landercan, and an altered version of the Cupola command module from the same mod (I think the original is still floating around somewhere?). And potentially some other parts, although I can't remember any off the top of my head. All of the plane stuff was a mod originally too, with was then improved by another mod which also became stock.

I mean, if you really want to split hairs about it, almost everything in KSP was done in mods before the base game. ISRU was done by Kethane/Karbonite (with the modder who created the latter going on to create the stock system, and is still a dev to this day). Career mode was done (in part) by... Mission Control, was it called? It's been a while, I don't exactly remember :PWheels were done in mods, probes were done in mods, aerodynamics were done in mods, re-entry heating was done in mods... even docking was done in mods, kind of. So, quite a bit.

Edited by GluttonyReaper

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Are we talking mods, or features done by mods, then redone in stock? 

Both i guess. Spaceplanes plus is a great example of a mod intergrated into stock, and the KerbNett/Comnet is inspired by Remotetech and Scansat.

On 2017-07-14 at 7:59 PM, klgraham1013 said:

Are we talking mods, or features done by mods, then redone in stock? 

Features first and foremost. The aforementioned SCANsat and RemoteTech are the prime examples of what I'm thinking of. I'm trying to not end up in a situation where I use a mod whose features are functionally the same as stock mechanics. From what I've seen, this isn't a problem for many old players since they've seen the game and mods being developed for half a decade. But it's a bit harder for new players such as me, since there are so many mods for the game.

Wings and jet engines were originally from C7 aerospace.
The majority of parts were taken from KSPX. There's about 11 parts not integrated.(and should be)
Sub-assemblies were a mod.
The newer space plane parts.
Ambient light adjustment.
Fairings.
Cargo Bays.
The Improved contract system.
Mk3 overhaul was very similar to B9
Think crew transfer was also a mod
Rover wheels were a mod early on.
Mining of course with Kethane and Roverdude's own mod.

Ignore things like improved aerodynamics, water dynamics, or re-entry heating. All 3 of which did have mods.

The answer is almost everything. I'm sure there's more but that's just from memory.

Edited by Spartwo

Fuel flow was modeled in variety of ways in a variety of mods previously.

The launch tower was forcibly removed by a couple mods, and now there are mods that add it back in. 

As mentioned, sub assemblies.  Back in the day I used a separate .exe program to merge the launchers to the payloads. 

10 hours ago, bitmapmedivh said:

Features first and foremost. The aforementioned SCANsat and RemoteTech are the prime examples of what I'm thinking of. I'm trying to not end up in a situation where I use a mod whose features are functionally the same as stock mechanics. From what I've seen, this isn't a problem for many old players since they've seen the game and mods being developed for half a decade. But it's a bit harder for new players such as me, since there are so many mods for the game.

I don't see this as an issue.  If you don't want to duplicate functionality, don't use a particular mod.  I think it's an issue of not learning the game before adding mods, not that there are too many mods. 

The Mun originally existed as a part created by @NovaSilisko as a 'try to put something impossible into space' challenge. I put it into space :v

The first wings in the game were built by C7 and eventually incorporated into the base game when they joined the team. Prior to the existence of wheels you had to use skids, but on the plus side, the ocean was a runway of infinite length and flatness (though also as hard as concrete).

A lot of the 2.5m parts take inspiration from the old Sunday Punch part pack, if I recall correctly.

The ability to swap between symmetry modes in either the VAB or the spaceplane building was originally in Editor Extensions.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:40 AM, bitmapmedivh said:

So by now I've started going through the forums and wiki to learn as much as I can and start exploring what mods there are for the game. But I've found that it's not the easiest thing to find mods that are up-to-date or what mods have simply become obselete by newer versions of the game.

Handy thread on here, let's you know what's working with latest release and what's not.

On 14/07/2017 at 9:13 PM, NSEP said:

Both i guess. Spaceplanes plus is a great example of a mod intergrated into stock, and the KerbNett/Comnet is inspired by Remotetech and Scansat.

I'm never sure why people mentioned Remotetech when talking about comms.. it doesn't really resemble the complexity of remote tech but it is extremely similar to Antenna Range.. just a personal gripe, I never think Antenna range received the attention it should have and now its being forgotten entirely lol :( 

Also I don't use KerbNet much... is it really like SCAN? Can't imagine not using SCAN these days! 

On 13/07/2017 at 9:40 PM, bitmapmedivh said:

Welcome!

Always love to see a new player :) 

Has anyone mentioned the newly integrated Asteroid Day mod? It was an "official" mod (produced by Squad) but is now part of the base game. Wish they'd do the same with chatterer! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.