about career

About MPL-LG-2.

I want to know how to get science with MPL effectively, I read in KSP wiki that

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mobile_Processing_Lab_MPL-LG-2

Data Value

An experimental result is processed into an amount of data based on its original science value and the physical location of the lab at the time the data is generated. There is a 10% bonus when the lab is on a surface, 25% bonus for processing experiments in the same SOI that they were taken, and a 90% penalty when on Kerbin's surface. These combine in a multiplicative fashion, such that:

Data = ScienceValue · (1 + SurfaceBonus) · (1 + ContextBonus) · homeworldMultiplier

Where:

• ScienceValue = full original science value of that specific experiment (i.e. when recovering the first result, back on Kerbin).
  • SurfaceBonus = 0.1 when landed (or splashed down) on the surface of a body, otherwise = 0.
  • ContextBonus = 0.25 when lab is currently within the same SOI the experiment originates from, otherwise = 0.
  • homeworldMultiplier = 0.1 when landed (or splashed down) on Kerbin, otherwise = 1.

When ships are in orbit, science from vehicle sensor data taken by EVA scientist will be 25% less, I thought it's a matter about Context Bonus. but why is there no problem if data from sensors directly goes to MPL in the same SOI?

//Sorted and corrected by @Acea

就是关于MPL实验室的问题

我测试实验室获得多少科技点的时候,把实验室放在轨道上,测试用科学家提取数据和直接在仪器上选择科研,发现科学家提取数据来实验会少了25%的科技点。但是按照kspwiki的说法这25%是关于SOI判断的 为什么我这样会少了科技点,我没搞懂

不会英语写个帖子真蹩脚。。

1 hour ago, Yudachi-Poi said:

When ships are in orbit, science from vehicle sensor data taken by EVA scientist will be 25% less

No, that is not correct. You probably misunderstood something, which is why you are confused.

Having a Mobile Processing Lab on your ship will not influence how much science your experiments generate, or how much an experiment collected by an EVA scientist is worth. Those remain the same, always.

The way it works is this:
- You run and collect an experiment. It has a certain fixed value.
- Then you choose if you want to transmit it or keep it. If you have a lab on your spacecraft, you get a third option: to put it into the lab. Doing so is like transmitting, it removes the experiment result. (But you can always take another reading and keep or transmit that.)
- If you choose to put the experiment into the lab, then (and only then) its value is modified.
- First, it gets multiplied by 1.10 if the spacecraft with the lab is currently landed or splashed down somewhere. Otherwise, it remains at the previous value.
- Second, it gets multiplied by 1.25 if the experiment is from the same SOI that the spacecraft with the lab is currently in. Otherwise, it remains at the previous value.
- Third, it gets multiplied by 0.10 if the spacecraft with the lab is currently landed or splashed down on Kerbin. Otherwise, it remains at the previous value.
- Finally, it gets multiplied by 5.00. You always get this bonus, which represents the work being done in the lab to improve the science result.

So the only penalty you ever get is if your lab is landed on Kerbin, and only for experiments you actually put into the lab. Not for any experiment reading you take. In all other situations, you only get bonuses (but, again, only for experiments you put into the lab).

Unfortunately I can't explain it to you in Chinese, but I hope you will still be able to understand it. :) If not, please tell me what part still confuses you, and I will try again.

Edited by Streetwind

16 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

So the only penalty you ever get is if your lab is landed on Kerbin, and only for experiments you actually put into the lab. Not for any experiment reading you take. In all other situations, you only get bonuses (but, again, only for experiments you put into the lab).

I guess what he meant is that he actually got a penalty of 25% in orbit in game, not theoretically.

To be honest I'm confused too, so I guess it'd take some time to get solved.

1 minute ago, Acea said:

I guess what he meant is that he actually got a penalty of 25% in game, not theoretically.

But where would this penalty come from? I have never seen such a thing in the stock game and I couldn't name any mod that features this either o_O

On 7/14/2017 at 4:23 AM, Streetwind said:

But where would this penalty come from? I have never seen such a thing in the stock game and I couldn't name any mod that features this either o_O

My understanding is that there is a bonus for having the MPL on the surface.  Of course, if the MPL isn't exactly on the poles it won't be receiving solar power during the night, so tends to have a 50% penalty.  So either have your MPL in orbit or landed at the pole.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.