Beechcraft D18

Beechcraft D18

K&S Technologies Group

I would first like to say if it weren't for @klond these team projects wouldn't shine as much without him, so I would once again like to give a huge thanks to his KSP Engineering Talents. We decided to have a Team Name when we work on projects together so from this day forward we will be using K&S Technologies Group.

The Project: Well this wasn't meant to be a project it was going to be just a quick little Aircraft and Video. During my craft build I wanted to make the Engines Free Wheeling just for show thinking this would be cool. After making an attempt I thought to myself Hey, I know who could make a tiny rotor! I sent a couple pictures to Klond to show some ideas of what I was looking for and as always I got a lot more then expected. Klond delivered another KSP Engineering Marvel. The Engine was separated into 3 Subassemblies, giving me the ability to attached it to the Craft. The Engine was designed for looks not torque, the prop and cylinder heads were some of my ideas for the looks and the rest of the Engine is Klond's handy work.

The Beechcraft Engine

Spoiler

Sketch work sent to Klond
I am using a Prop Design I introduced when I built my Consolidated B24 Liberator Craft

jaUhHdr.png

8X1ppWv.png

Klond's Handy Work

kMPTD1V.png

xI6ABf1.png

My first Beechcraft was inspired by an old Rock Band Video and now I like them more everyday. In the Video you will see an Aircraft which looks much like a Beechcraft, I am not good at identifying Aircraft and my best guess is a Beechcraft B18. The craft B18 & D18 are similar, I haven't researched them much. I am using the song from the Video which was very appropriate.

Operations: The staging is used for this craft, I've been applying the brake and starting one Engine at a time for a realistic effect. First apply the brake and SAS then hit Spacebar leaving the Throttle at the default setting (Doing this will allow your Engines to last without damage). I recommend keeping speeds between 120-130 m/s and near 50 m/s at touchdown during landings. Also keep the nose up slightly to keep your propellers from damage during landings.

Craft File: Beech D-18
Parts: 163
Mass: 19.302t
Height: 3.8m
Width: 17.3m
Length: 13.2m

Edited by Castille7

Oh geez, I think you gave me way too much credit; 'lil embarrassed.

I like the parts where the mechanics are working on the engines with the bay doors open.

Edited by klond

1 hour ago, klond said:

Oh geez, I think you gave me way too much credit; 'lil embarrassed.

I like the parts where the mechanics are working on the engines with the bay doors open.

Thanks man, I think others would agree you deserve much credit for your engineering!

17 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

I like the plane. I was surprised you used a mini-turbo prop type thing tbh, saw most other aesthetic propellers just run themselves. I like this solution though, as you can actually control their spin. 

Thanks Bubbadevlin, and thanks to Klond the spin can be controlled. My idea was just to have them free wheeling, the overall product is much better.

59 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

I like the plane. I was surprised you used a mini-turbo prop type thing tbh, saw most other aesthetic propellers just run themselves. I like this solution though, as you can actually control their spin. 

I thought it would look better on video if they spun up before takeoff.

Azimech had some suggestions about adjustments we could make so we'll keep tweaking.

50 minutes ago, klond said:

I thought it would look better on video if they spun up before takeoff.

This was the plan at first but!...when I started the video with the sound of the engine cranking at the beginning I didn't want to change that, it seemed to fit nicely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.