[1.4.X] OSE Workshop Continued - KIS Addon

Aelfhe1m

47 minutes ago, Tirello said:

Shouldn't "Equipment" not show unless pathfinder is installed.

Is there a workshop that produces rocket fuel right now I haven't noticed one that does.

No, there isn't, because the stock processors can take care of that. There are no other parts to produce material kits/equipment except for outside of this mod.

On looking back through the parts and their cfgs, I can see the confusion, and it shows how much I've relied on other parts for the capabilities. The Chemical Workshop does ore straight to equipment and is also a workshop and recycler requiring the part to be staffed, where the Material Extractor seems to almost be more for the CRP/MKS side, with an ore-MK converter and dirt-RareMetals and ExoticMinerals processor. It's also unmanned, so more like the stock ISRUs. I think DStaal was right in that some of the cfgs have been mangled.

I can't see the point of the chemical workshop apart from its pathfinder tie in. 

I think it would make more sense if it did the same thing as the material extractor but is required it to be manned. This would make a good dynamic a manned workshop and manned metal extractor early in the tech tree and automated versions later in the tech tree. 

21 minutes ago, Tirello said:

I can't see the point of the chemical workshop apart from its pathfinder tie in. 

I think it would make more sense if it did the same thing as the material extractor but is required it to be manned. This would make a good dynamic a manned workshop and manned metal extractor early in the tech tree and automated versions later in the tech tree. 

Now that I have finally looked at everything, it is special in that it's the only part that can do all the things, but it does unlock at the same stock node as the regular manned workshop so would seem to outclass it immediately. If it unlocked later in the science tree, I could see it staying as is, so that you can compact your builds with better science.

18 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Now that I have finally looked at everything, it is special in that it's the only part that can do all the things, but it does unlock at the same stock node as the regular manned workshop so would seem to outclass it immediately. If it unlocked later in the science tree, I could see it staying as is, so that you can compact your builds with better 

When you say it can do everything.  I wasn't aware it could make spare parts (and I can't check right now) 

That's why I feel it should be changed.  Switch the chemical workshop to a manned version of the material processor. Move the AI workshop to the node with the material processor. 

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Those of you who say the recipes have been mangled from the original:

Could you take a few minutes and detail what's different, and whether you think I should revert things to the original or not?

Thanks

I think* that the original was material kits made from ore in combination with rare metals or/and exotic minerals depending on the part. The part with a mention of making equipment is probably the anomaly, but I've never played with just MKS, so I don't know if Equipment exists outside of Wild Blue. If not, the recipe should probably just be tweaked with a compatibility patch when using Wild Blue and the part changed to produce the MKs and to sift Dirt. In Pathfinder with CRP, there's a combination of Equipment (used for re-purposing and expanding parts) and MKs and the ability to switch between them, and it uses the original recipes. In Pathfinder with Classic Stock,  OSE uses Equipment with Gemstones and/or PreciousMetals to print parts.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Those of you who say the recipes have been mangled from the original:

Could you take a few minutes and detail what's different, and whether you think I should revert things to the original or not?

Thanks

If I get a chance I'll look further into it, but a summary:

As mentioned, originally it used MaterialKits/rare metals/exotic minerals/SpecializedParts depending on the part.  The main recipe now seems to just be MaterialKits, though there are some recipes using RareMetals and ExoticMinerals that I saw still in there.  At the moment, only the 'Workshop Chemical' in the entire mod mentions 'Equipment' - and it doesn't have storage for it, but it does have storage for MaterialKits.  So Equipment is the oddball here, and I think it should be switched back to MaterialKits.  (And then someone needs a patch for WBI to match it's resource scheme - but the right place for that might well be in Pathfinder.)

This actually answers your original question about the three workshops: There's a manned workshop, an optionally unmanned workshop, and a (manned) workshop that can produce the raw materials on-site.  They probably need to be differentiated better (the Workshop Chemical probably needs to weigh more...), but I think the idea is that you can either choose to send both a workshop and MaterialKits, or send a Workshop and a drill.  (RareMetals and ExoticMinerals are mineable, if you have the right drills, so they don't need a converter.)

Ok, I thought I'd share some half-arsed results from my preliminary 1.6.1 testbed.  This was done in a lightly (~50 mods or so)  environment.  Tomorrow I'll test in a clean environment.

It appears the mod works fine if neither USI or WB is installed.  I was able to print  a single item, move focus away during the print,  and return to a printed item in my KIS container.

There was previously reported bug where single items being printed would get stuck and not complete if the workshop lost focus.  The work around was to print two items, then come back when the first one was finished (according to the alarm).  You'd then cancel the queued item and the one being printed would then complete in a hurry.

This bug appears to be still present if the USI Constellation is installed.  I need to test further,  I didn't look to see if the bug was present if only WB was installed.  Or if both are present.

Auto-generated 'printing is finished' KAC alarms appear to be always for a Vessel ID that no longer exists.  Yes, Virginia, the vessel still exists.

I'll do some serious testing Tue night in a clean environment and post my results, if no one beats me to the punch. 

Edited by Padrone
Order of points

11 hours ago, Padrone said:

Ok, I thought I'd share some half-arsed results from my preliminary 1.6.1 testbed.  This was done in a lightly (~50 mods or so)  environment.  Tomorrow I'll test in a clean environment.

It appears the mod works fine if neither USI or WB is installed.  I was able to print  a single item, move focus away during the print,  and return to a printed item in my KIS container.

There was previously reported bug where single items being printed would get stuck and not complete if the workshop lost focus.  The work around was to print two items, then come back when the first one was finished (according to the alarm).  You'd then cancel the queued item and the one being printed would then complete in a hurry.

This bug appears to be still present if the USI Constellation is installed.  I need to test further,  I didn't look to see if the bug was present if only WB was installed.  Or if both are present.

Auto-generated 'printing is finished' KAC alarms appear to be always for a Vessel ID that no longer exists.  Yes, Virginia, the vessel still exists.

I'll do some serious testing Tue night in a clean environment and post my results, if no one beats me to the punch. 

Ok.

I've enabled the Issues on github, and put these two into individual issues:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/issues/1

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/issues/2

For everyone:

Bug reports here are fine, adding to the Github issue is better, if you can be concise.  Steps needed to be able to duplicate the bug are extremely helpful.  If I see reports here, I'll copy them into an issue on Github (but that's extra work for me :-)    )

I've gotten a lot into the wiki, and have realized that there are a lot of part modules which should have recipes, but don't.  For example, ModuleEngineFX is there, but ModulesEngines is missing.  I realize that a lot of small parts will just use the default, but will be looking at all the part modules and adding recipes for those for which it makes sense

Edited by linuxgurugamer

21 hours ago, DStaal said:

This actually answers your original question about the three workshops: There's a manned workshop, an optionally unmanned workshop, and a (manned) workshop that can produce the raw materials on-site.  They probably need to be differentiated better (the Workshop Chemical probably needs to weigh more...), but I think the idea is that you can either choose to send both a workshop and MaterialKits, or send a Workshop and a drill.  (RareMetals and ExoticMinerals are mineable, if you have the right drills, so they don't need a converter.)

So, if I understand you and the mod correctly:

• Material Extractor - Extracts ore and produces Material Kits
  • 3D Printing Lab - Basic workshop, needs crew, resources & Material kits
  • Workshop AI Core - Automated version of the 3D Printing Lab.  Can hold up to 2 kerbals (do they help in any way?)
  • Workshop Chemical - a Material Extractor combined with a 3D Printing Lab (suggested), needs crew

This makes a lot of sense to me (finally).  What do others think?

Keep in mind that this is the stand-alone version; as suggested, a patch for WBI will need to be made

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Looks about right to me.  The crew in the Workshop AI Core should increase efficiency/speed, if I understand the config correctly.

Ok.  Question about the recipes:  Based on this statement from the original OP:

The amount of MaterialKits needed is depending on the mass of the created item => To create an item with the mass of one ton you need one ton of MaterialKits (not one unit)

the resources needed to make the part is proportional to the mass of the item.  Now, looking at a list of missing modules, some of them are obvious (ie:  make the recipe for ModuleEngines the same as ModuleEnginesFX).  Others, however, are somewhat up in the air.   The following two lists show the modules I've identified as needing to have recipes for them, the second list are those I'm not sure of:

• ModuleEngines
  • ModulesAlternator
  • ModuleDataTransmitter
  • ModuleEnviroSensor (exotic minerals)
  • ModuleLight (Rare metals)
  • ModuleSAS
  • ModuleDeployableSolarPanel (exotic minerals & Rare metals), (this is used by static as well as deployable solar panels) 

Not sure about:

• ModuleReactionWheel
  • ModuleSAS

So, what's your opinion on these?

Also, there are a number of mods with their own modules for which it might make sense to add a recipe for it.  I'm open for ideas/suggestions, etc.

hey @linuxgurugamer

using workshop and recycler works fine now though im getting an error when activating the 3d printer

Spoiler

[ERR 01:23:40.243] [RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BaseConverter.GetBestDeltaTime (Double deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BaseConverter.GetDeltaTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

with KIS 1.17 the workshop doesn't load properly - ksp.log

thx for your work

1 hour ago, eLDude said:

hey @linuxgurugamer

using workshop and recycler works fine now though im getting an error when activating the 3d printer

Hide contents

[ERR 01:23:40.243] [RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BaseConverter.GetBestDeltaTime (Double deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BaseConverter.GetDeltaTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

thx for your work

so is this one or two issues?

1 hour ago, eLDude said:

thx for your work

Yes, I'll need to fix this error first:

[LOG 01:34:36.061] [ScenarioDestructibles]: Loading... 0 objects registered
[ERR 01:34:36.067] [OSE] - Error while checking for KIS. Workshop will be disabled

[EXC 01:34:36.069] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
	System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback)
	System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate)
	Workshop.KIS.KIS_Item+ResourceInfo.Initialize (System.Reflection.Assembly kisAssembly)
	Workshop.KIS.KISWrapper.Initialize ()
	Workshop.WorkshopSettings.OnAwake ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	Workshop.WorkshopUtils:LogError(String, Exception)
	Workshop.WorkshopSettings:OnAwake()
	ScenarioModule:Awake()
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	ScenarioRunner:AddModule(String)
	ScenarioRunner:AddModule(ConfigNode)
	ProtoScenarioModule:Load(ScenarioRunner)
	ScenarioRunner:LoadModules(List`1)
	ScenarioRunner:SetProtoModules(List`1)
	Game:Load()
	<Start>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Also, next time please include the output_log.txt

Thanks

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Also, next time please include the output_log.txt

sorry, i'm new to the dark side of mods... always been a user... now trying to help a bit

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

so is this one or two issues? 

actually there are two isssues.

the first is with KSP 1.6.1, OSE Workshop 1.2.7 and KIS 1.16 clicking start printer spams errors output_log.txt

second with same setup but KIS 1.17 output_log.txt

26 minutes ago, eLDude said:

sorry, i'm new to the dark side of mods... always been a user... now trying to help a bit

No problem. Thank you for the help

27 minutes ago, eLDude said:

second with same setup but KIS 1.17 output_log.txt

I've fixed this one....

27 minutes ago, eLDude said:

the first is with KSP 1.6.1, OSE Workshop 1.2.7 and KIS 1.16 clicking start printer spams errors output_log.txt

and I'm working on this.

It looks like KIS changed some variables into properties, so I need to go through and fix all the Reflection which is trying to use it.

On an aside, since KIS is a required dependency, I'm not sure I understand why he is using Reflection rather than directly accessing the fields

New Beta, 1.2.7.1

• Fixed nullref when initializing KIS.  KIS changed from using a local class called ResourceInfo to using ProtoPartResourceSnapshot
  • Changed following from a field to a property (based on referenced mods)
    • kis_showGui
    • kis_quantity
    • kis_texture

Available here:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/releases/tag/1.2.7.1

I haven't changed anything in the recipes yet, still waiting on feedback regarding the additional modules I listed earlier

On 1/29/2019 at 12:17 AM, Padrone said:

Please run your tests again using the new beta.  There were definite issues which have been fixed, not sure if related to these

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  Question about the recipes:  Based on this statement from the original OP:

the resources needed to make the part is proportional to the mass of the item.  Now, looking at a list of missing modules, some of them are obvious (ie:  make the recipe for ModuleEngines the same as ModuleEnginesFX).  Others, however, are somewhat up in the air.   The following two lists show the modules I've identified as needing to have recipes for them, the second list are those I'm not sure of:

• ModuleEngines
  • ModulesAlternator
  • ModuleDataTransmitter
  • ModuleEnviroSensor (exotic minerals)
  • ModuleLight (Rare metals)
  • ModuleSAS
  • ModuleDeployableSolarPanel (exotic minerals & Rare metals), (this is used by static as well as deployable solar panels) 

Not sure about:

• ModuleReactionWheel
  • ModuleSAS

So, what's your opinion on these?

Also, there are a number of mods with their own modules for which it might make sense to add a recipe for it.  I'm open for ideas/suggestions, etc.

I believe the original impetus for more complicated recipes was to plug an exploit hole - you could recycle something large and cheap (say a fuel tank) and then build something small and expensive (say a surface scanner) and then return it for profit.  Since this could be done on the runway, this was very easy to scam.

Personally, I'm for keeping as much as possible with the default recipe, as it's easier to work with, but I can see the point of the more complex recipes.  My usage of this mod tends to be 'print the occasional forgotten/broken part' instead of the more complex 'print your entire base' which I know some people do, so I'm not to invested in the recipes.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I believe the original impetus for more complicated recipes was to plug an exploit hole - you could recycle something large and cheap (say a fuel tank) and then build something small and expensive (say a surface scanner) and then return it for profit.  Since this could be done on the runway, this was very easy to scam.

Personally, I'm for keeping as much as possible with the default recipe, as it's easier to work with, but I can see the point of the more complex recipes.  My usage of this mod tends to be 'print the occasional forgotten/broken part' instead of the more complex 'print your entire base' which I know some people do, so I'm not to invested in the recipes.

Two thoughts on this:

1. Increase the build time, and dramatically increase the recycle time
  2. Don't allow recycling on the runway/launchpad etc.

i'm thinking along the lines of KCT in terms of build time, which would be a plus for KCT compatibility

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Two thoughts on this:

1. Increase the build time, and dramatically increase the recycle time
  2. Don't allow recycling on the runway/launchpad etc.

i'm thinking along the lines of KCT in terms of build time, which would be a plus for KCT compatibility

I greatly prefer option 2, and if people are cheesing the recycle mechanic, they could just as easily use the alt-f12 menu to give themselves the money and save the time setting up the process.

1 hour ago, Krakatoa said:

I greatly prefer option 2, and if people are cheesing the recycle mechanic, they could just as easily use the alt-f12 menu to give themselves the money and save the time setting up the process.

I'm actually thinking about both lines together.  First, I think it is way too fast to build small parts.  I haven't yet compared it to KCT, but I'm pretty sure it's much faster than KCT.  And the justification for the no-recycling on the runway/launchpad would be because it is packed up ready to launch.  The other possibility would be to make these options configurable, so that in a basic mode the current behaviour is maintained, and have settings which would control both of these.

Edited by linuxgurugamer