[1.4.X] OSE Workshop Continued - KIS Addon

Aelfhe1m

Launchpad/runway is just the worst-case scenario, obviously.  It's not hard to build a rover and drive a few klicks, if you wanted to cheese - or timewarp, for that matter.  Thus the recipes: More expensive things require more expensive materials, and you couldn't just turn fuel tanks into science parts all day long.

Anyway, that was the original reasoning IIRC.  As I said, my usual use is to build a screwdriver or a forgotten docking port or something - I'm wouldn't mind it simplified, but I know there are people like Angel125 (I think - he's at least designed his parts with this in mind) who do things like build out entire bases based on a small mining start center and building the rest, then deploying via KIS.  More intensive users are more likely to have stronger feelings one way or the other about the recipes, build times, etc.  (I do find it annoying that at least the last time I used the mod it didn't build in the background.)

39 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Launchpad/runway is just the worst-case scenario, obviously.  It's not hard to build a rover and drive a few klicks, if you wanted to cheese - or timewarp, for that matter.  Thus the recipes: More expensive things require more expensive materials, and you couldn't just turn fuel tanks into science parts all day long.

Anyway, that was the original reasoning IIRC.  As I said, my usual use is to build a screwdriver or a forgotten docking port or something - I'm wouldn't mind it simplified, but I know there are people like Angel125 (I think - he's at least designed his parts with this in mind) who do things like build out entire bases based on a small mining start center and building the rest, then deploying via KIS.  More intensive users are more likely to have stronger feelings one way or the other about the recipes, build times, etc.  (I do find it annoying that at least the last time I used the mod it didn't build in the background.)

From some limited testing, it looks like it does build in the background.  

I added the 10m heat shield to the queue, which needs 12 minutes to build.  Went to the space center, timewarped 12 minutes, came back and it was completed

On 1/29/2019 at 3:12 PM, linuxgurugamer said:
  • ModuleEngines
  • ModulesAlternator
  • ModuleDataTransmitter
  • ModuleEnviroSensor (exotic minerals)
  • ModuleLight (Rare metals)
  • ModuleSAS
  • ModuleDeployableSolarPanel (exotic minerals & Rare metals), (this is used by static as well as deployable solar panels) 

Not sure about:

• ModuleReactionWheel
  • ModuleSAS

So, I'm proposing the following recipe additions:

• ModuleEngines: Same as ModuleEnginesFX
  • ModuleAlternator & ModuleDataTransmitter: 1 MaterialKits & 1 ExoticMinerals
  • ModuleLight:1 Rare metals
  • ModuleDeployableSolarPanel: 1 RareMetals & 1 ExoticMinerals

Comments are welcome

I've decided that the others I  listed don't need anything special

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

From some limited testing, it looks like it does build in the background.  

I added the 10m heat shield to the queue, which needs 12 minutes to build.  Went to the space center, timewarped 12 minutes, came back and it was completed

I had a vague recollection that that might have been fixed (why I said 'last time I used it') - but I wasn't sure, and if we're debugging now I thought it would be good to check, and I didn't have a chance to do so myself last night.  Thanks.

The recipe additions look fine to me.  ;)

58 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I had a vague recollection that that might have been fixed (why I said 'last time I used it') - but I wasn't sure, and if we're debugging now I thought it would be good to check, and I didn't have a chance to do so myself last night.  Thanks.

The recipe additions look fine to me.  ;)

And that was very helpful.

I found a few more things which changed very recently in KIS (ie:  January) which is causing problems (ie:  NullRefs).  I think I fixed it, but not in time to push out a new beta.  I'm also adding in a way to make the build and recycle times longer using the stock settings page.  They will be tied into the difficulty, so as you go into more difficult settings, the times will increase.  As usual, whatever the default values are will be overridable.

19 minutes ago, eLDude said:

hey @linuxgurugamer i tried the 1.2.7.1 now im able to build pods and other big stuff, dont know if this is intentional! never seen anything big in the older versions

If you look at your log file, you will see it being spammed with NullRef exceptions.

I'll  try to get the next beta out tonite, I just need to do some testing

51 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Testing revealed A rather severe problem with the recycler;  it crashes to the desktop after a few seconds.

I’ve isolated it to the interaction with KIS, but it happens randomly.

so no new beta tonite, I’m afraid.

Maybe tomorrow

Huh. I know that KIS is having CTD issues at the moment. Maybe they're related?

10 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Huh. I know that KIS is having CTD issues at the moment. Maybe they're related?

Yes, it is exactly that.  I just sent a message to @IgorZ with detailed info, hope it helps.

For now, I'll disable the call which is triggering it.  Items will NOT be removed from inventory after recycling, but everything else should be ok.  New beta soon

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you look at your log file, you will see it being spammed with NullRef exceptions.

I'll  try to get the next beta out tonite, I just need to do some testing

Yup - can confirm - latest version of KSP, this mod (well beta), KIS, and the other requirements - everything seems to be working, but once an item is done printing - NullRef spam.  (no other mods but this and it's requirements)

New beta release, 1.2.7.2

• Recipe changes:
    • Added ModuleEngines to the MM_Workshop.cfg, same as ModuleEnginesFX
    • Added ModuleAlternator & ModuleDataTransmitter, 1 MaterialKits & 1 ExoticMinerals
    • ModuleLight:1 Rare metals
    • ModuleDeployableSolarPanel: 1 RareMetals & 1 ExoticMinerals
  • Removed unnecessary :FOR from the MM cfg files
  • In KISWrapper removed ALL Reflection code

Current release has the KIS code which removes items from inventory disabled due to a bug in KIS

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/releases/tag/1.2.7.2

Looking for input on these ideas:

• Change the output of the Chemical workshop back in MaterialKits
  • Move the Chemical workshop higher in the tech tree
  • Add a complexity value to certain types of part; engines, science instruments, radios, etc.  The idea being that the more complex an item is, the longer it will take to print.  The use of this would be controlled by a settings option. 
  • Increase the base time to print everything.  For example, a simple cubic octagonal strut takes less than 1 second to print, this seems way too fast.
  • Increase the base recycle time

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looking for input on these ideas:

• Change the output of the Chemical workshop back in MaterialKits
  • Move the Chemical workshop higher in the tech tree
  • Add a complexity value to certain types of part; engines, science instruments, radios, etc.  The idea being that the more complex an item is, the longer it will take to print.  The use of this would be controlled by a settings option. 
  • Increase the base time to print everything.  For example, a simple cubic octagonal strut takes less than 1 second to print, this seems way too fast.
  • Increase the base recycle time

Nice ideas. I'd connect parts complexity to recycle time too. Kind of general action multiplier.

The printing time could be affected by both complexity values and an item mass (for example).

Moving Chemical workshop higher in the tech tree seems legit. How hard can it be to implement sort of levels system? I mean the Chemical workshop could have several upgrade levels. The higher level the faster workshop performs\the less consumables it requires during the production \ the larger parts become available for production. There level upgrades can be spread in techtree.

I'm going to be revising the descriptions and titles of the workshops to differentiate them.  And will probably rename the Chemical, but will not rename the part in order to maintain compatibility with existing craft files.

I figure that the 3D Printing Lab is pretty much fine with it's descriptions.  If anybody would like to suggest better titles and descriptions for the AI Core and Chemical workshop, I'd be delighted to see them.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

Nice ideas. I'd connect parts complexity to recycle time too. Kind of general action multiplier.

The printing time could be affected by both complexity values and an item mass (for example).

Item mass is already taken into account in the recipe.  In terms of complexity, I'd do it based on the modules in the part:  For example, if a part contains an engine module, that would be an additional level of complexity

I'm approaching the complexity this way:

• All parts will have a base complexity of 1. 
  • All complexity values in the recipe(s) for a part is added to the base complexity
  • The final complexity value will be multiplied against the time needed to build to arrive at a final time-to-build.

For example:

• The Octagonal Cubic Strut has a complexity of 1, so there would be no effect.
  • An engine without a generator will have a complexity of 4, so the time to build an engine is increased by a factor of 4.  
  • An engine WITH a generator will end up with a complexity of 6, so the time to build this engine is increased by a factor of 6

I'm not sure about recycle time yet.  The complexity is what's required to build a complex object, but recycling doesn't need the fine level of detail that building does.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New beta, 1.2.7.3

• Removed disabling of KIS
  • Change output resource of Workshop Chemical to MaterialKits
  • Changed tech required for Chem wk to Advanced Science Tech
  • Commented out the FlagDecal in the Chemical and 3D printing lab (not doing anything)
  • Moved MM patches into their own directory
  • Moved the part recipes out of the MM_Workshop.cfg and into the OSE_PartRecipes.cfg file
  • Added option to disallow either the workshop or recycler from working while landed at any of the stock launch sites
  • Added an overall time multiplier
  • Added tooltips to the multiplier fields in the setting screen
  • Added Complexity value to recipes (not yet implemented)

You MUST use KIS 1.18

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/releases/tag/1.2.7.3

I'm closing in on the end.  Barring any significant bugs, the only thing I still need to do is implement the Complexity value.

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New beta, 1.2.7.3

• Removed disabling of KIS
  • Change output resource of Workshop Chemical to MaterialKits
  • Changed tech required for Chem wk to Advanced Science Tech
  • Commented out the FlagDecal in the Chemical and 3D printing lab (not doing anything)
  • Moved MM patches into their own directory
  • Moved the part recipes out of the MM_Workshop.cfg and into the OSE_PartRecipes.cfg file
  • Added option to disallow either the workshop or recycler from working while landed at any of the stock launch sites
  • Added an overall time multiplier
  • Added tooltips to the multiplier fields in the setting screen
  • Added Complexity value to recipes (not yet implemented)

You MUST use KIS 1.18

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/releases/tag/1.2.7.3

I'm closing in on the end.  Barring any significant bugs, the only thing I still need to do is implement the Complexity value.

With this version neither Workshop nor Recycler menus are opening from the context popup. Checked all parts - same result. No error or NRE spam in console log. Previous version opens those menus OK.

Edited by Horus

11 minutes ago, Horus said:

With this version neither Workshop nor Recycler menus are opening from the context popup. Checked all parts - same result. No error or NRE spam in console log. Previous version opens those menus OK.

Check your settings.  I'm guessing you are trying to open them on the launchpad or runway, and there is a new setting called "No local recycling", if it's true, then neither will open.

I should change the name to better reflect what is happening

Well, I just tested, and there IS something wrong

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 1.2.7.4

• Fixed PreLaunch check to allow opening if noLocalRecycling is false
  • Updated settings description of noLocalRecycling
  • Added tooltip to the noLocalRecycling

Added to the TODO list, is to show a message if no local processing is allowed  when those buttons are clicked

@Horus this should fix your problem, although if you tried it away from the launch site, it would have worked.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.2.7.4

• Fixed PreLaunch check to allow opening if noLocalRecycling is false
  • Updated settings description of noLocalRecycling
  • Added tooltip to the noLocalRecycling

Added to the TODO list, is to show a message if no local processing is allowed  when those buttons are clicked

@Horus this should fix your problem, although if you tried it away from the launch site, it would have worked.

Works like a charm :) Thank you :)

No other issues noticed so far. I guess it will need some time to play with it to check it's working alright.

Edited by Horus

28 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What do you all think about having the modules be in a "travel" mode when first launched.  I'm not sure it's worth it, but the idea would be that you would have to unpack it first (using a PAW button) before being able to use it.

What's the packed state bonus against the unpacked one?