[1.4.X] OSE Workshop Continued - KIS Addon

Aelfhe1m

When packed, it won't be usable, it would have to be  unpacked.  Think of it as packing for acceleration of a launch

I also just noticed that the patches for engines, alternator & transmitters aren't working, so the build time is way too low for them

Another thought:  It doesn't seem right that the same module will both print parts AND recycle.  Would it make sense to split those functionalities out into different parts?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

When packed, it won't be usable, it would have to be  unpacked.  Think of it as packing for acceleration of a launch

Is it a one-way procedure? Can you pack it again? How else packing affects the part except processing availability?

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Another thought:  It doesn't seem right that the same module will both print parts AND recycle.  Would it make sense to split those functionalities out into different parts?

I thought the same long ago. But since I use this mod in junction with KPBS mod, I didn't really bother :) Nut still it really does make sense.

8 minutes ago, Horus said:

Is it a one-way procedure? Can you pack it again? How else packing affects the part except processing availability?

This is still hazy, I'm looking for ideas.  

9 minutes ago, Horus said:

I thought the same long ago. But since I use this mod in junction with KPBS mod, I didn't really bother :) Nut still it really does make sense.

So what I'm thinking of is to replace the Chemical Workshop with a Recycler, and removing the recycling function from the other two.  I'll also be changing the models around, I think the one with gears is more suited for a recycler.

What I'd like to do then, is to have the Ore Processing as a later addition to the AI Core module.

Alternatively, I could just make each model have one function:

• 3D Printing (using the AI Core model)
  • Recycling (using the current model for the 3D Printing Lab)
  • Ore Processing (using the current model for the Chemical Workshop)

To my mind, this makes more sense, each part having a specific function.

I realize this is a significant change, so before I do anything, I'd like input

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is still hazy, I'm looking for ideas.  

So what I'm thinking of is to replace the Chemical Workshop with a Recycler, and removing the recycling function from the other two.  I'll also be changing the models around, I think the one with gears is more suited for a recycler.

What I'd like to do then, is to have the Ore Processing as a later addition to the AI Core module.

Alternatively, I could just make each model have one function:

To my mind, this makes more sense, each part having a specific function.

I realize this is a significant change, so before I do anything, I'd like input

Feel free to disagree, but part of what makes OSE special is how it starts off so small, only needing 2 modules and a drill to basically get going. 1 with the chemical workshop as it was. You don't have to keep that, but with the new setup, you would need a minimum of 2 OSE modules and you could possibly need all 3. I also like with the recent plan of moving the Chem Workshop deeper into the tech tree, that science lets you build that more efficient base. Anything that lets you get a better base going with fewer parts is always nice for keeping those frames higher.

11 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Feel free to disagree, but part of what makes OSE special is how it starts off so small, only needing 2 modules and a drill to basically get going. 1 with the chemical workshop as it was. You don't have to keep that, but with the new setup, you would need a minimum of 2 OSE modules and you could possibly need all 3. I also like with the recent plan of moving the Chem Workshop deeper into the tech tree, that science lets you build that more efficient base. Anything that lets you get a better base going with fewer parts is always nice for keeping those frames higher.

One or two extra parts isn't going to make/break the frame rate.

I appreciate the comments, haven't yet decided what to do

I think it depends a bit on how you see OSE fit into the wider mod ecosystem.  I tend to think of it as a companion mod to EL and MKS/WBI - something for building smaller parts and tools, while if I want to build a larger base or ship, I turn to EL or GC.  In that, then OSE is the workbench or 3D printer, and basically you should be able to break anything down with the same (hand) tools you build it.  Now, I could see some limits to what can be broken down with simple tools - and possibly having a more complete work area that could allow you to break down more complex parts.

But a lot of that thought is based on the fact that I don't see this mod as a replacement for EL or similar - it's a complimentary mod, which does similar but different things.  You seem to be thinking of it more as a competitor, and using the same structure of mine/refine/produce - where to me this is a bit more of the handyman working with whatever he has on hand, often from kits.

I appreciate the comments.

I'm not sure where this goes, which is why I threw out the question.

If it was for simple stuff, then there should be a limit as to what it should be able to make; ie:  no rocket engines, for example.  But the way it is now, it's limited by the largest empty KIS container available.

I suppose one way to approach this is to have a primary and a secondary configuration.  The primary would be as it is now, but an alternate set of configs/patches could change it into what I'm asking about.

I'm somewhat familiar with EL, having watched it on Twitch a lot.  But I don't know what GC is.  

Here''s another thought, hopefully the best of both worlds:

The mod by itself would be as I suggest:

If EL, MKS or WBI is installed, then the part would be configured more like they are now. 

If KPBS is installed, then one of more of the KPBS parts could be configured as any combination of the functions listed above.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm somewhat familiar with EL, having watched it on Twitch a lot.  But I don't know what GC is.  

Ground Construction - A collaboration between Alista and RoverDude that aims for a somewhat more difficult take on off-world building: You need kits to build, which typically have to be sent from Kerbin.  There are ways to build kits, but they're more complex and further down the tech tree.  It's basically a competitor to EL.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If EL, MKS or WBI is installed, then the part would be configured more like they are now. 

If KPBS is installed, then one of more of the KPBS parts could be configured as any combination of the functions listed above.

If I go this route, I'm going to need some advice regarding the proper placement of the parts for each of the variants, and what you feel each part should be doing for that variant.

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Yes.  ;)

Ok.  I just finished the coding work for the new features, I'll see if I can add this

I'm now working on the configs; the stand-alone mod will have the functionality broken into the three parts as I discussed earlier.  If one of the other mods (EL, MKS, GC) are installed, then the parts will be very similar to the way they are today

On 2/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I appreciate the comments.

I'm not sure where this goes, which is why I threw out the question.

If it was for simple stuff, then there should be a limit as to what it should be able to make; ie:  no rocket engines, for example.  But the way it is now, it's limited by the largest empty KIS container available.

I suppose one way to approach this is to have a primary and a secondary configuration.  The primary would be as it is now, but an alternate set of configs/patches could change it into what I'm asking about.

You can restrict what a Workshop can make by part category. I added a config node that lets you specify what part categories a Workshop can make. If you don’t specify the config node then the Workshop can make everything. I don’t have the config in front of me, so you may need to do some sleuthing for the specifics.

Restricting by part category is a rough but simple way to decide what is the most complicated thing that a printer can make. There is some precedent for making engines (https://spacenews.com/printing-the-next-generation-of-rocket-engines/) and I presume that other complex parts will be printed too. What you could do is gradually introduce new part categories as technology improves... You could use thae game’s part upgrades system to do that. Maybe at start you can just do structural components, then more complicated things like electrical parts, engines, and so on...

One of the restrictions the previous authors added were recipes. Some parts required rarer resources. I recall setting it up so that CRP resources are the default but they could be overridden by Classic Stock too.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Splitting up the parts into a printer, recycler, and resource processor is a good idea. No need to make that suggestion work with WBI as I have my own parts. For the tech tree, I would suggest having recycling and ore processing a tech level above the printer. As I recall the stock MPL had an OSE Workshop module as well.

52 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Splitting up the parts into a printer, recycler, and resource processor is a good idea. No need to make that suggestion work with WBI as I have my own parts. For the tech tree, I would suggest having recycling and ore processing a tech level above the printer. As I recall the stock MPL had an OSE Workshop module as well.

I was basing it on some comments earlier.

So, this is what I"m aiming for:

Regarding the stand-alone tech:

• 3D Printing Lab, Advanced Exploration.  Can print parts
  • Recycling, Field Science (using the AICore part), Can recycle parts into what they were made from.  45% recovery
  • Ore Processing, Advanced Science Tech, can process ore into MaterialKits
  • Material Extractor, Advanced Science Tech, can process ore into MaterialKits, Dirt into ExoticMinerals and RareMetals

Changes made to stock parts to support this mod (unchanged from previous)

• Stock scanners and drills, Adding Dirt,ExoticMinerals and RareMetals to stock scanners and drills

if EL, MKS or WBI is installed:

• 3D Printing Lab, Advanced Exploration, can print parts, can recycle parts
  • Workshop AI Core, Field Science, can print parts, can recycle parts, automated
  • Workshop Chemical, Advanced Science Tech, can print parts, can recycle parts, can convert ore to MaterialKits
  • Material Extractor, Advanced Science Tech, can process ore into MaterialKits, Dirt into ExoticMinerals and RareMetals

Okay, I haven't used this mod in a long time, and I noticed you're talking about adding in new resources for the construction of parts. Is there a means of gathering/refining those resources included in the pack, or do I need to get some new dependencies?

3 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay, I haven't used this mod in a long time, and I noticed you're talking about adding in new resources for the construction of parts. Is there a means of gathering/refining those resources included in the pack, or do I need to get some new dependencies?

There is, I believe.  None of the resources are really new, they were just something you didn't hit on often when in building things, and there's parts that can separate out the resources from mined materials, either Ore or Dirt, and it adds the ability to mine Dirt to stock parts.

I'm nearly done with the work. 

I have to add in the kerbel alarm clock integration with the recycler and then I'll be able to release a new Beta.

26 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Yes. 

In the post above I have the following:

• Stock scanners and drills, Adding Dirt,ExoticMinerals and RareMetals to stock scanners and drills

New beta release, 1.2.7.5  Lots of changes

• Fixed error of multiple recipes for a part being ignored (only used the first)
  • Enabled Complexity, used for printing only (recycling already had a delay)
  • Fixed nullref after canceling manufacturing
  • Fixed nullrefs from KAC after canceling recycling
  • Added to the ModuleAnimateGeneric in the workshops to get rid of the "locked" message in the PAW:        
    • showStatus = false
  • Added alarm clock functionality to recycling
  • Added settings options to control whether KAC alarms are set
  • Implemented changes in part functionality when being used standalone:
    • Regarding the stand-alone tech:
      • 3D Printing Lab, Advanced Exploration.  Can print parts
      • Recycling, Field Science (using the AICore part), Can recycle parts into what they were made from.  45% recovery
      • Ore Processing, Advanced Science Tech, can process ore into MaterialKits
    • Stock scanners and drills, Adding Dirt,ExoticMinerals and RareMetals to stock scanners and drills
    • if EL, MKS  is installed:
      • 3D Printing Lab, Advanced Exploration, can print parts, can recycle parts
      • Workshop AI Core, Field Science, can print parts, can recycle parts, automated
      • Workshop Chemical, Advanced Science Tech, can print parts, can recycle parts, can convert ore to MaterialKits

Available here:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/releases/tag/1.2.7.5

I need input on the balancing, please.  I haven't had time to do a complete playthrough with this, so would appreciate people letting me know how it works, both as standalone and with EL or MKS

On 2/7/2019 at 2:29 PM, Angel-125 said:

You can restrict what a Workshop can make by part category. I added a config node that lets you specify what part categories a Workshop can make. If you don’t specify the config node then the Workshop can make everything. I don’t have the config in front of me, so you may need to do some sleuthing for the specifics.

I assume that's what this is:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Workshop/blob/b410dc690431cea7a6bc7340cbeca509e95acd77/Workshop/OseModuleWorkshop.cs#L406-L464

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Yup, that’s the one. :)

There is also a size parameter which parts have which I believe is based on the maxims events and is of a pot, I might end up using that to restrict the largest size as well.

Right now I just want to get everything working in a reliable manner and which make sense, later run a look in to possibly having capabilities increase as Tech levels are achieved

I haven't implemented the unpacking I mentioned earlier.  I'm still thinking about it, and trying to come up with a reason to pack/unpack.  One I came up with was too high an acceleration while unpacked could cause significant damage.  Now how to repair that damage??

New release, 1.2.7.6

• Added code to make the "Open ..." change to "Close ..." when module is open
  • Added support for the clickThruFix
  • Added alternate skin
  • Removed mod version from Workshop window title
  • Fixed exceptions when alarm is deleted from KAC by hand

This was fast because of the exceptions which were reported to me