[1.4.X] OSE Workshop Continued - KIS Addon

Aelfhe1m

@Doctor Axel I'd never heard of Gold Standard before but it looks like a fairly straight forward mod. Unless you have another mod installed that is also trying to modify the converter recipe then you shouldn't need to do anything special to change the resources used to make material kits. For an example of a recipe patch see USI MKS: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/OSE.cfg#L422-L501

Hi Aelfhe1m, I'd like to ask if there's a way for the joint parts and socket of IgorZ's KAS (beta) mod to be made manufacturable in the OSE Workshop mod? I could not find the mod's TJ-1 or 2, the TB-60, or JS-1 parts in the build menu (but could find its PCB-1, though). I'm not sure if the answer would lie with the OSE mod or with KAS-beta (whether the parts have to be exposed to OSE from KAS' end, or OSE needs to be able to recognize these parts from this end), so I'm asking here as well as in the KAS (beta) forum just in case. Thanks!

6 hours ago, B-STRK said:

Hi Aelfhe1m, I'd like to ask if there's a way for the joint parts and socket of IgorZ's KAS (beta) mod to be made manufacturable in the OSE Workshop mod? I could not find the mod's TJ-1 or 2, the TB-60, or JS-1 parts in the build menu (but could find its PCB-1, though). I'm not sure if the answer would lie with the OSE mod or with KAS-beta (whether the parts have to be exposed to OSE from KAS' end, or OSE needs to be able to recognize these parts from this end), so I'm asking here as well as in the KAS (beta) forum just in case. Thanks!

Replied on KAS thread: 

Hello. It looks like this may have some incompatibility with either KIS 1.7 or KSP 1.3.1 - the game is crashing just before displaying the main menu, with only Workshop 1.2.1c, KIS 1.7 and dependencies installed. Here are logs https://ufile.io/bjrz7. I didn't get an error.log, but I never have (maybe that doesn't work on Linux 64 bit?). KSP loads fine if the Workshop directory is moved away.

That's OSE Workshop 1.2.1c (1.2.1 according to Workshop.version) with the included dependencies CommunityResourcePack 0.7.2, ModuleManager 2.8.1, and Firespitter 7.6.0,

and KIS 1.7 (1.7.6468 build 41490 in KIS.version) with its included dependencies CommunityCategoryKit 2.0.1 and ModuleManager 2.8.1 (identical to your DLL).

Edited by Johould

54 minutes ago, Johould said:

Hello. It looks like this may have some incompatibility with either KIS 1.7 or KSP 1.3.1 - the game is crashing just before displaying the main menu, with only Workshop 1.2.1c, KIS 1.7 and dependencies installed. Here are logs https://ufile.io/bjrz7. I didn't get an error.log, but I never have (maybe that doesn't work on Linux 64 bit?). KSP loads fine if the Workshop directory is moved away.

That's OSE Workshop 1.2.1c (1.2.1 according to Workshop.version) with the included dependencies CommunityResourcePack 0.7.2, ModuleManager 2.8.1, and Firespitter 7.6.0,

and KIS 1.7 (1.7.6468 build 41490 in KIS.version) with its included dependencies CommunityCategoryKit 2.0.1 and ModuleManager 2.8.1 (identical to your DLL).

this hasn't been recompiled for 1.3.1 yet, there was a change so all mods need a recompile, you'll have to wait until someone gets too it.

18 hours ago, Johould said:

This happened to me too. Its a problem with OSE Workshop bc KIS works fine for me. we just have to wait until it is fixed for 1.3.1

New version 1.2.2 for KSP 1.3.1 (download from SpaceDock or GitHub)

• Recompile for 1.3.1 (not compatible with earlier versions)
  • New category icons courtesy of Alshain
  • New workshop models by Enceos
    • The workshops all behave identically at the moment but future versions will limit part construction by type of workshop
    • Animation work on new workshop models is incomplete
  • NEW: add search function to workshop parts filter
  • FIX: paging no longer hides some parts
  • Changed the way the mod writes to the game logs. Some messages are now written only if verbose logging is enabled in the system settings.
  • NOTE: Dependencies are no longer bundled - please download them separately

I've figured out what I did wrong with the animations (real dumb mistake) and the update is in the GitHub source if anyone wants to grab it (just three lines of config to update).

I've decided not to push out another update so quickly but will roll it into the next feature release instead which will hopefully be coming out next weekend.

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I've figured out what I did wrong with the animations (real dumb mistake) and the update is in the GitHub source if anyone wants to grab it (just three lines of config to update).

I've decided not to push out another update so quickly but will roll it into the next feature release instead which will hopefully be coming out next weekend.

All OK - checked the changes and updated my copy easily enough. I've seen way worse with error, so don't beat yourself up over it. :)

I'm also seeing an issue where it's coming up with an error in the log about a missing icon search file:

[ERR 09:20:44.034] [OSE] - Filter - Unable to load texture file Workshop/Assets/Icons/icon_search

The error is under both this mods parts as well and MKS and KPBS part that use workshop in their mod support.

I checked githib and that file isn't there - guessing it got missing with the icon update? 

Edited by wile1411

19 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

I'm also seeing an issue where it's coming up with an error in the log about a missing icon search file:

[ERR 09:20:44.034] [OSE] - Filter - Unable to load texture file Workshop/Assets/Icons/icon_search

The error is under both this mods parts as well and MKS and KPBS part that use workshop in their mod support.

I checked githib and that file isn't there - guessing it got missing with the icon update.

@wile1411 Thanks for the report.

I was going to add a button for the new search feature and added that line into the code with a placeholder icon. But I decided it wasn't needed and deleted the placeholder icon but forgot to remove the line from the code.

It should be harmless and safely ignored. It will be fixed in the next update (GitHub commit).

3 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

@wile1411 Thanks for the report.

I was going to add a button for the new search feature and added that line into the code with a placeholder icon. But I decided it wasn't needed and deleted the placeholder icon but forgot to remove the line from the code.

It should be harmless and safely ignored. It will be fixed in the next update (GitHub commit).

okies - I actually modified a copy of the play button into a magnifying glass and gave it the correct name to get rid of the error. On the off change I use the search button, I'll PM you :) 

Edited by wile1411

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

is there a way to turn off the funds cost of printing items?

Not currently. (At least in career - science and sandbox of course don't have funds)

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

I'm asking because some items have unreasonably high cost, like 700,000 for a USI 3.75m Reactor.

Yes, I just recently printed one of those myself and noticed the extreme cost. (It's even worse with NFE installed!)

Part of the problem with the reactors is a bug where parts that are prefilled with resources in the VAB/SPH are not having the cost of those resources taken into account during printing in the workshop (since the resources aren't included in the final product you shouldn't be charged for them).

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Why do you need money to print stuff off-world anyway?

As I understand it the original mod author used cost in career as a way to balance printing for parts that are much more expensive than the materials needed to print them. Otherwise you could just stick a manufacturing plant on the grass next to the runway and give it occasional shipments of cheap material kits while recovering expensive produced parts (some time warping would be required but a fairly painless way of making unlimited funds). This could perhaps be offset by having the funds cost only be triggered if you're on the homeworld (Kerbin) or adding "distance" as a multiplier on the cost somehow.  Although from a "realism" point of view should it be cheaper to make things in a distant colony than at home?

Obviously some balancing is required and maybe there also needs to be something for parts that "should" be more complex to produce - lot's of little parts to print and assemble or parts that need to be produced to very fine manufacturing tolerances.

One thought I've had is introducing a time factor based on some assessment of the "complexity" of a part - although how that would be calculated is unclear.

Another possibility is adding wastage so that you need more than an equal mass of material kits to produce a part.

I'd be happy to hear other users thoughts on this subject.

12 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Part of the problem with the reactors is a bug where parts that are prefilled with resources in the VAB/SPH are not having the cost of those resources taken into account during printing in the workshop (since the resources aren't included in the final product you shouldn't be charged for them).

Maybe it is possible to exclude the resource costs from their final cost?

The radical approach would include a requirement for a rare resource (in addition to material kits) to every part's printing cost. That resource should be absent on Kerbin or difficult to mass-produce to prevent money printing. MKS already does that, actually. It adds a requirement of SpecializedParts, which are rather hard to manufacture, to every printing recipe. In this approach, the amount of material kits is tied to an object's mass, and the amount of a secondary resource is determined by its cost.

So, the way I'd set it up is as follows. Add a requirement of an expensive resource from CRP (say, Rare Metals). Add an ability to mine it to stock drills with a MM patch (only if MKS is not installed, because its drills can already mine it). 

6 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Maybe it is possible to exclude the resource costs from their final cost?

The radical approach would include a requirement for a rare resource (in addition to material kits) to every part's printing cost. That resource should be absent on Kerbin or difficult to mass-produce to prevent money printing. MKS already does that, actually. It adds a requirement of SpecializedParts, which are rather hard to manufacture, to every printing recipe. In this approach, the amount of material kits is tied to an object's mass, and the amount of a secondary resource is determined by its cost.

So, the way I'd set it up is as follows. Add a requirement of an expensive resource from CRP (say, Rare Metals). Add an ability to mine it to stock drills with a MM patch (only if MKS is not installed, because its drills can already mine it). 

The MaterialKits/SpecializedParts breakdown actually originally came from *this* mod, and MKS adopted it.

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The MaterialKits/SpecializedParts breakdown actually originally came from *this* mod, and MKS adopted it.

It did adopt MaterialKits, but SpecializedParts came originally with MKS.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello

wonder if you can help, I always had this bug, even when obivandamme mantained it , the game freeze sometimes when I open the workbench, from the logs:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Workshop.OseModuleRecycler.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

The error could be missleading, because I have it also when the game do not freeze.

I was recyicling and engine then opened the workbech and the game looped..

OUTPUT LOG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tnKQEiO-rjLifmPO5YpGPadGaqmBVAnF/view?usp=sharing

MODLIST: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WV_fe8hfhLDnfgMHzKPB4ZvQ154yNetV/view?usp=sharing

SAVE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kd548FeSEpV3dpb191eTEwUjg/view?usp=sharing

BUG n.2

the next button in the recycler does not work as it was in the previous release, stay in the same page hiding parts execind the list

Edited by brusura

Hello,

Is there any way to limit the parts that can be printed in the workshop? For example, based on mass or volume?

I think I remember seeing such a setting in a part config in this mod or in a MKS file, but I cannot quite remember it and even then I am not sure if the setting was actually functional. 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, canisin said:

Hello,

Is there any way to limit the parts that can be printed in the workshop? For example, based on mass or volume?

I think I remember seeing such a setting in a part config in this mod or in a MKS file, but I cannot quite remember it and even then I am not sure if the setting was actually functional. 

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but doesn't that already happen based on what size KIS container is available on the craft the OSEworkshop is on?

Edited by wile1411

12 hours ago, wile1411 said:

I may be wrong, but doesn't that already happen based on what size KIS container is available on the craft the OSEworkshop is on?

I think it does, but that is not exactly what I am looking for. I am looking for a limitation that is based on the printer, so that I can have different printers with different capabilities.

1 hour ago, canisin said:

I think it does, but that is not exactly what I am looking for. I am looking for a limitation that is based on the printer, so that I can have different printers with different capabilities.

From memory it currently doesn't do that, but I know it IS planned. The release notes a few posts above yours mentions the idea of using the extra workshop models from @Enceos  "future versions will limit part construction by type of workshop".

@canisin If you look at the config of the workshop parts they have this list of modules:

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = OseModuleCategoryAddon
        Category = Aero
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_advaerodynamics
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Communication
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_advunmanned
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Control
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_largecontrol
    }

MODULE
  {
    Category = Coupling
    IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/cs_size3
  }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Electrical
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_electrics
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Engine
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/RDicon_propulsionSystems
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = FuelTank
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/RDicon_fuelSystems-advanced
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Ground
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_advancedmotors
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Payload
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_composites
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Pods
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/RDicon_commandmodules
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Science
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_advsciencetech
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Structural
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_generalconstruction
    }

MODULE
  {
    Category = Thermal
    IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/fuels_monopropellant
  }

MODULE
    {
        Category = Utility
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_generic
    }

MODULE
    {
        Category = none
        IconPath = Squad/PartList/SimpleIcons/R&D_node_icon_robotics
    }

You can delete the module with the category you don't want to appear in the workshop manufacturing menu.

There's also a file OSE_Filters.cfg which is a blacklist where you can manually add part names to exclude them from appearing in the manufacturing list.

No other way to exclude parts currently.

Edited by Enceos

Hey guys, I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I am very happy that you still maintain the mod and that you where able to integrate the new models by enceos, they look gorgous. I still hope that maybe some day I can come back and work on this project again. It is one of the best things I ever did in my free time ;-)

Keep up the good work and have a save flight.