What would be your reaction to a nuclear holocaust?

cratercracker

10 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Celebrate the fact that most of us survived. A nuclear holocaust isn't as deadly as the media usually portrays. Also celebrate that I didn't die, since I am close to a military base...

After that... move on with my life. Maybe after a mass funeral for the dead.

I participate on a couple of gun-related message boards, and I always have to laugh at the die-hard survival types on there that think that after some major disaster scenario (like a nuclear strike) they're going to be strutting around their neighborhoods with ARs and body armor like they're on patrol in Iraq. Um, no, sorry guys. After a major disaster you're probably going to be going to work. At your job, or possibly some other job. Because you're still going to need to make a living. And the people who depended on you to do your job before the disaster are probably still depending on you to do your job after the disaster, unless you're completely useless. Unless your neighborhood changes into a total war zone your life isn't going to change as much as you think it will, no matter how much you may wish it would.

I was trained in second grade to close the metal window blinds to keep the flash from igniting our drawings on the bulletin board. Then we'd hid in the hallway in the crash position.

I tend to think it's far less like now than in the early 1970s.

Edited by tater

Like the guy in Wargames, I'm only a few miles from the very same high-value target. I'd only have to worry about the "nuclear" part for a few milliseconds, and I wouldn't be around for the "holocost" but. :D

And if that fails, there's more than enough deer around here to keep a family fed...

9 hours ago, Dman979 said:

If I survived, I'd have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Gathering caps, searching for Coca-Cola Quantum, and at last getting to the Coca-Cola plant in right-down corner of the map....

6 hours ago, tater said:

to keep the flash from igniting our drawings on the bulletin board.

Yes, people always try to save the most valuable things, such as drawings and bulletin board.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And if that fails, there's more than enough deer around here to keep a family fed...

You would rent or buy a large refrigerator wagon.
If they ask "why?", just (don't know how to say this correctly) show with your hand along the horizon and explain:
"Do you see? After a nuclear strike here will be thousands of fried deers. Without a fridge, where should I keep them for years?"

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, tater said:

I never got the real duck and cover stuff, but I guess we were on the tail end of bomb drills in the 1970s. That was in NY, when we moved to CT, no such thing.

I did, and many times over. Grew up in Charleston, WV in the 80s. We had your usual "duck and cover / hide under your desks" drills for nukes (and other Soviet attack/invasion scenarios), and then several different drills for chemical leaks.

One chemleak drill we all lined up in the hallways in alphabetical order by teacher (so it'd be easier to ID the bodies). In another we did the same, but on the second floor. I always assumed the second floor one was for heavier-than-air leaks that might have been survivable. The first was pretty much for guaranteed fatalities (we made some potent Bhopal-grade stuff in Chucktown). Every room in that school had a window or door, so Shelter in Place was never goimg to be a survivable option. 

The nuke drills were gone by the time I was in Junior High (as were the Soviets, mostly), but we practiced a variant of the SiP drills every year I was in school. Only had a real, not-a-drill event once that I remember, and that was for a lighter-than-air release that went the other way. 

8 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

in the 80s. We had your usual "duck and cover / hide under your desks" drills for nukes (and other Soviet attack/invasion scenarios), and then several different drills for chemical leaks.

One chemleak drill we all lined up in the hallways in alphabetical order by teacher (so it'd be easier to ID the bodies).

Looks like your school principal was personally a maniacal fanboy of post-apoc, and there was yet no Fallout at hands to sublimate.

Especially impresses the body-count. What had he to have in head to train children impersonate unrecognizable corpses?

Wasn't it enough just to tell: "If something - fall down under the tables near the window and close your eyes"?

And with that, if he was indeed concerned about pupils survival, how not to have enough gas masks if the school is near a chemical plant instead of the walking dead cosplaying?

Absolutely VaultTek'ish.

P.S.
Tried to imagine any other "Soviet invasion" into West Virginia, except a ballistic strike...
No, this requires a much greater imagination.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Looks like your school principal was personally a maniacal fanboy of post-apoc, and there was yet no Fallout at hands to sublimate.

We weren't the only school that did these drills - every school in the valley did the same thing. After Bhopal, every school in the county did it. This isn't an exaggeration - people were scared. Scared people do strange things.

Though admitedly they didn't tell us (the kids) the gritty details as to why they did these things - I didn't find most of those out until years later.

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

And with that, if he was indeed concerned about pupils survival, how not to have enough gas masks if the school is near a chemical plant instead of the walking dead cosplaying?

Gas masks don't protect against chemicals that are made to force rubber to decompose. 

P.S.
Tried to imagine any other "Soviet invasion" into West Virginia, except a ballistic strike...

Not really. One of the assumption was that in a low-count strategic exchange, the larger population centers and military targets would be removed while occupation forces would move in and seize local fuel sources (coal, oil, gas), which is basically all WV has. 

Of course we didn't know at the time we were on the list even for the smaller exchanges, and would've been among the first to be hit. 

And it wasn't like all the above occupied 100% of everybody's anxiety. Most folks were more concerned that kids might be influenced by deviant English literature or that "evil" rock'n'roll stuff. Some of them probably even would've welcomed the cleansing fires of nuclear rain. 

They still would've had to get up and go to work after the appocalypse though. (Just like I need to do right now.....)

Edited by Cydonian Monk

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

P.S.

3 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Not really. One of the assumption was that in a low-count strategic exchange, the larger population centers and military targets would be removed while occupation forces would move in and seize local fuel sources (coal, oil, gas), which is basically all WV has. 

Sigh. He clearly has never seen the documentary Red Dawn, SMH.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I don't see what this has to do with the US president having an affair..

I thought it was the Seceretary of the Treasury?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.