KSP Weekly: Kerbal Burazāzu

SQUAD

1 minute ago, SpacedCowboy said:

What the H is that ? Latin or something?

Google "Lorem Ipsum." It's standard filler text, not intented to be anything meaningful (so it doesn't distract from its "this is merely text" function)

6 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Wow, guess I don't get out enough.

So really, That (example) means nothing then. That is, what's the point if you can't understand the text?

The point is exactly what they said it is...  Seeing the final art assets that have been placed over whats previously only been wireframes.

6 hours ago, SQUAD said:

...with most of the screens and UIs currently built from wireframes, the team started placing final assets on them. Here’s some preview examples.

7 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Wow, guess I don't get out enough.

So really, That (example) means nothing then. That is, what's the point if you can't understand the text?

It's used when you're designing a layout that will contain text before the text is ready.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is a filler text commonly used to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation. Replacing meaningful content with placeholder text allows designers to design the form of the content before the content itself has been produced.

So for example, if you were tasked with designing the layout for a news web site, you might use some Lorem ipsum text to show the client what the layout would look like without having to use a real article.

22 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Yes it is Latin.. Didn't you know it's being added to the game. :sticktongue:.....
Just kidding.
In all seriousness. It's boilerplate text - used as a placeholder in wireframes during development so that we can check text and UI layout, etc, etc.

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

It's used when you're designing a layout that will contain text before the text is ready.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

So for example, if you were tasked with designing the layout for a news web site, you might use some Lorem ipsum text to show the client what the layout would look like without having to use a real article.

Okay guys, I think I understand. Like I said, I don't get out much (tech moron)

Still, it would 've been nice if they said, "Oh by the way, the text is nonsense.

6 hours ago, SQUAD said:

On the artistic side of the development, the art team worked on the vernier engine to go with our RD-107 analogue. One of the challenges with this part was balancing something that would be recognizable as part of an R7 rocket, but also keep the ‘lego’ feel our players are used to.  To achieve this, we decided to split the verniers out as a separate part, so players could choose to either use them in a configuration reminiscent of the R7, or in other interesting and creative ways. The flip side is that you lose some of the unique asymmetric aspects of an R7 booster (including the handy notch that fits the verniers on the central stack of the rocket).  This is a theme you’re going to see quite a bit of as the parts for Making History progress.  While we want parts to be recognizable, our direction is one where we aim for taking heavy inspiration from vs. building precise replicas of historic craft and parts, with the primary goal being to provide new parts that are flexible, balanced, and fun to use for both historic as well as player generated missions.

The vernier itself is a liquid fuel engine with a single axis gimbal with a 45 degree range (22.5 degrees each direction), making it an excellent form of control authority (we include a total of twelve of these on our Vostok 1), as well as an interesting engine in its own right that I expect our players will find many creative uses for.

Here’s a pic of its current state, along with a pic of how it would be used on our Vostok craft file, and examples of the gimbal range.  There’s still some work to do on it, but we suspect most people will appreciate seeing the current progress.

I'd just like to say this is a very good write up. Technical details, insight into the part design process, and the justifications for decisions everything a reader could want. :) So with your goal stated could we get some insight into how you are gonna address ballance? I'm assuming this is nontrivial given the differences in "realistic" and "kerbal" scales.

Regex already addressed the chunky bell so so aside from the usual I don't really have anything to say about the verner in the WIP shot until it's shown in engine with usual AO details, and specular and normal maps.

11 hours ago, SQUAD said:

on any Launchpad.

<Gasps>

Edit:

Spoiler

The correct term probably should be launch site... so the runway and the launchpad are launch sites.

<Sighs...>

New engine looks good, but I can't really think of any more uses for it of the top of my head. If it has decent thrust might be good thrust limited on an anti-air missile.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

8 hours ago, Homedawgian said:

Oh I understood that much, I'm constantly checking the forums and whatnot. I'd just like to hear how things are actually going. As for the lack of patches, are they not able to patch the work from a different dev because of some legal/liability reason? Things like that would be the type of information I'd be interested in.

Possibly. Most likely it was due to Flying tiger not actually making a console port for KSP but rather taking a big steaming crap in a bag and writing ksp on the side in crayon then handing it to Squad.

I digress..

I have no doubt that Squad will not allow this to happen again, they are being very, very cautious and caution costs time.

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

<Gasps>

Edit:

Reveal hidden contents

The correct term probably should be launch site... so the runway and the launchpad are launch sites.

<Sighs...>

New engine looks good, but I can't really think of any more uses for it of the top of my head. If it has decent thrust might be good thrust limited on an anti-air missile.

Probably not what they're meant for, but I think they'll prove useful for landers. I'm always trying to get engines out of the way for landers and fuel shuttles. The only good options are usually the Thud or Twitch (often, neither of those are quite right). I think the vernier might fit the bill. Its got a good gimbal, so I think it just depends on the thrust and Isp it's going to have. I can also see it being good for fine adjustments for larger ships. If you kill your main engine and just use the verniers to complete a maneuver or tighten up a rendezvous with another ship. Might end up being pretty useful.

But the missile idea will probably work, too. :) 

Wow, great work on the Making History Expansion! Now I can't wait even more!

the vernier engines have this aerodynamic cover, great for ataching them radially, but arent they usually attached to the bottom of tanks? I think it would be better to have them like regular engines, with a node but also surface-atachable (same attachment rules as an aerospike or vector). Not having that inline node always bothered me with the O-10 engine. If you need them radially, you can easily make a workaround with a tiny nosecone.

1 hour ago, Physics Student said:

Wow, great work on the Making History Expansion! Now I can't wait even more!

the vernier engines have this aerodynamic cover, great for ataching them radially, but arent they usually attached to the bottom of tanks? I think it would be better to have them like regular engines, with a node but also surface-atachable (same attachment rules as an aerospike or vector). Not having that inline node always bothered me with the O-10 engine. If you need them radially, you can easily make a workaround with a tiny nosecone.

Oh hey that's right mesh switching is gonna be a thing that means you could technically have radial and inline versions in the same catalog entry. Or an rd107 with or without the historical divets(not that I mind being divetless just saying it's a possibility). 

Edited by passinglurker

2 hours ago, Physics Student said:

the vernier engines have this aerodynamic cover, great for ataching them radially, but arent they usually attached to the bottom of tanks?

Not necessarily. You could use these for verniers on Thor (attach to bottom and rotate), Atlas (attach to the tanks sides and cant outwards), R-7 variants (attach radially to each engine), and even for things like Surveyor (attach radially next to each leg). Not saying a node-attach version isn't a good idea, but these can be surface attached (I presume, if not I'm damn well gonna make them because not doing it would be a very, very poor decision) anywhere (including the bottom of a tank) and rotated as desired. The RD-108 vernier + housing is a good model for those little attitude rockets and I expect to see them pressed into service pretty much everywhere.

The Vernier engines are surface attach.  For an R7, I do four radial attach like you see in the image shown for the inner core.  For the four conical boosters, I surface attach and clip in a pair of them so you end up with a pair of downward pointed nozzles sticking out the bottom (again, like an R7).  There are no node attachment points on this one - it's meant as a surface attach engine.  

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM, SpacedCowboy said:

Lorum ipsum. It's a placeholder text. You might find it in a Microsoft Word document template, for example.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:29 PM, Foxster said:

You were lucky. We only had Pong and had to walk to work with no shoes in 50 feet of snow. 

Baah, kid these days.

Back in the day, we had to pay tic-tac-toe on rolls of paper, and wait while 25 lines printed out (at 10 characters per second) until you could enter the next move.

and we couldn't measure how much snow was on the ground.

On 7/15/2017 at 3:10 AM, SQUAD said:

The vernier itself is a liquid fuel engine with a single axis gimbal with a 45 degree range (22.5 degrees each direction), making it an excellent form of control authority (we include a total of twelve of these on our Vostok 1), as well as an interesting engine in its own right that I expect our players will find many creative uses for.

Here’s a pic of its current state, along with a pic of how it would be used on our Vostok craft file, and examples of the gimbal range.  There’s still some work to do on it, but we suspect most people will appreciate seeing the current progress.

And that’s not all, the team started texturing the Vostok 1 IVA. The UV mapping and the normals paintings are almost finished. We also started a new stage in the UI for the Mission Builder workflow, with most of the screens and UIs currently built from wireframes, the team started placing final assets on them. Here’s some preview examples.

Vernier looks good, but i want more preview image to have a more thorough insight.

A lot of questions about when the console players will be getting their re-release. If I was to hazard a guess I would say another 3-6 months for the console release. Originally it was announced for console on Jun 16, 2015, It launched the following year July 12, 2016. Assuming at the time that the game was underway with FTE it took a little over a year to port it for 2 consoles. SQUAD announced December 16 that Blitworks was now involved. I say at the least they had been on the case shortly after the FTE patch blunders (I'm just spit balling here). Blitworks seems to be a better company, and SQUAD seemed confident to say the update would release early in the year. Maybe a bit overzealous.

I'm not one who posts things and pretends to have an inside scoop on game development or its process. It could release next week for all we know. I'm just looking at previous dates and guessing. If FTE released those terrible unpatchable ports and it took a little over a year perhaps Blitworks can do it better and faster in under a year.

I wish them all the best. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.