Kraken/Cthulhu alive and well in 1.3.

ArmchairPhysicist

As the title says, I've found out the hard way that the space kraken is alive and well even today. 

Lately I've been building a second space center on Minimus to take advantage of the fuel savings of launching there. The base has been ridiculously successful, although it's apparently successful enough to attract a Kraken, and this one is made of pure evil. To date 4 kerbals have died and two probes have been devoured. 

(Unfortunately I don't have pictures)

Case 1. 

I placed a simple survey probe in a polar Minimus orbit at 26 kilometers. Probe worked great, did its job. I came back later to check on it, only to find it stretched across space and time. The probe core was fine, but the engines, fuel, equipment etc etc were orbiting a few hundred meters ahead of the core, only by time warping would the probe "reassemble". I shot the probe down and intend to launch another. 

Case 2.

I built a Duna orbiter probe for a flyby contract, launched it from Minimus mun base, got it to Duna with a little cheering and some more money from the contract. This lead to another contract that needed a Duna lander. So I built one, launched it and made the Duna transfer. Only when the lander reached Duna it found no single from the relay capable probe that went before it. My orbiter simply vanished from reality.

Case 3 and 4

Heres where things got real, and why Minimus outpost now has military grade antiair laser turrets and S.A.M. Batteries.

When I built the outpost I sent in two super heavy landers. One built for operating a science lab, the other to serve as the fuel factory until I built a separate one for the outpost. They did there jobs perfectly. One day I sent the science lander to another biome for science. Once done I went to my tracking station to clean up debris. I set the filters to display broken debris only as to avoid terminating any kerbals. When I finished I went back to the outpost, only to find that jeb and three white suits had vanished, along with their vehicles. Never to be seen again.

Mission control finally took notice and sent the outpost blueprints for the AntiKraken DefenseHub, an addition that gave my base lasers and nuclear missiles, just in case the beast returned for more. 

They have begun calling it the Magic Kraken, due to its ability to completely vanish spaceships from reality.

Beware space pioneers, The kraken lives. 

59 minutes ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

Case 2.

I built a Duna orbiter probe for a flyby contract, launched it from Minimus mun base, got it to Duna with a little cheering and some more money from the contract. This lead to another contract that needed a Duna lander. So I built one, launched it and made the Duna transfer. Only when the lander reached Duna it found no single from the relay capable probe that went before it. My orbiter simply vanished from reality.

Your Duna orbiter may have run afoul of Ike, rather than the Kraken.  That moon is too darn big, and too darn close...

1 hour ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

I placed a simple survey probe in a polar Minimus orbit at 26 kilometers. Probe worked great, did its job. I came back later to check on it, only to find it stretched across space and time. The probe core was fine, but the engines, fuel, equipment etc etc were orbiting a few hundred meters ahead of the core, only by time warping would the probe "reassemble". I shot the probe down and intend to launch another. 

Had something similar happen to me as well, never seen anything like it.

I was testing a new plane design, and decided to see how it handled under x4 time warp, and as KSP planes are often wont to do; it decided to begin rapidly stretching apart and shaking. I quickly cancelled the time warp just as one of the wings was shredded clean off, but the odd thing was, the ship didn't come back together, all the pieces that were still attached were floating several feet from eachother all rotated at odd angles. It flew fine besides the missing wing, and responded normally despite none of it's pieces actually touching each other.

Playing with autostrut on the way down yielded very interesting results as well, "pulling" and "pushing" pieces here and there as I toggled through the modes. Very strange indeed!

I too have suffered the Kraken in my 1.3 career.

My space station was being supplied automatically by routine mission manager and there's a certain combo that will cause the exact same issue as the O.P. On their Minmus orbiter.

My station became stations.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:55 AM, ArmchairPhysicist said:

I know irl even a stable orbit will decay from many factors, but by orbiter was in a 100 kilometer polar orbit. I did this because I was getting a kerbnet ping from duna's southpole. Didn't realize the ping was from an incoming Kraken and not an anomaly 

That's certainly low enough you shouldn't have trouble with Ike.

Interestingly, f5 save a few hundred feet up while landing on Tylo with engines running full blast has been Krakened. When I quickload, the engines are off, and the lag of relighting them makes me smash into the planet every time. Dang.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.