Underwater Base

• 2 weeks later...

In any event, this will be my placeholder for my actual submission for the challenge. I'm in the process of constructing the base now, courtesy of KIS/KAS. I've found that, for those of you who use the mod, placing one of the concrete blocks in the Kerbal's inventories is enough to counteract their positive buoyancy, allowing for under-water EVA, a critical component in my base.

M5Ch68x.jpg

Figure 1: Bill assembling a loading ramp on the Nemo Base Fuel Depot

I've been using Vessel mover to get the various sub-components to the ocean surface, but have had to manually sink the sub-sections down, arranged them via winch, and secure them with Kerbal EVA's. Coming along so far, I'm interested in adding a more permanent docking pylon, something akin to an airship anchor, but for subs. I also need to design a more efficient sub, the one I have now isn't going to cut it for material transportation.

Edited by Smokey the Bear

7 hours ago, Curiosity7907 said:

So do I have to leave a download link of the save file or send pictures or something else?

Can I use Kw rocketry,Procedrual parts and SXT?

You can use SXT. The other mods are not allowed. 

6 hours ago, Smokey the Bear said:

The base doesn't have to be one full craft file, correct? For example, I could launch various pieces of the base in different launches in order to accommodate for different functions. Does that make or break the challenge?

Also, is KAS/KIS allowed?

KAS/KIS is certainly allowed. And yes! You may launch the base in different sections. 

P.S.

Welcome [back] to the forums! :D

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

3 hours ago, Smokey the Bear said:

I've found that, for those of you who use the mod, placing one of the concrete blocks in the Kerbal's inventories is enough to counteract their positive buoyancy, allowing for under-water EVA...

BRILLIANT!!!  ...this opens up a world of possibilities.

So, here's my actual submission to this challenge: Nemo Base

IDxFNJX.png

Nemo Base is located approximately 20 km from the KSC at a depth of 1 km. It consists of:

- 2 Habitat modules

- 1 Fuel depot

- 1 Comm Station

- 2 Storage Vessels, anchored away from the main structure

- 1 transport submersible

The base can hold a total of 13 kerbals when the transport sub is docked with the base. The base was connected and partially built in EVA by using the mods KAS/KIS. I don't know if the sub counts as a rocket or an airplane, but it can surface and dive multiple times on one tank of gas. If anyone would like any more pictures or has any questions on how I designed/built sections of the base, simply ask

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎30 at 7:47 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Sure! XD

The Stingray Attack Sub:

screenshot443screenshot446

It is self sustainable (electricity-wise), has a claw for docking, an intermediate level communicator/antenna, and three lights. 4 reactions wheels so stability is decent. Only 12k delta-v though.

Inspecting a suspicious looking smudge on the seafloor:

screenshot452

Sorry for the picture spam btw. I am in the process of making a manned fuel station/refinery/mining base on the seafloor. The plan will be to have four of these attack subs docked to it. Then when enemy ships (yes I know this game isn't multiplayer, just let me dream kay?) pass over the area, the attack subs can undock and fire at the exposed undersides of the warships.

Hm. I actually might submit these craft to the HatBat's kethane series...

Edited by Earthlinger

This looks fun. *Walks to Local Port and into Dry dock* Employees start noting that power-tools are missing...

On 12/08/2017 at 1:11 AM, Smokey the Bear said:

, placing one of the concrete blocks in the Kerbal's inventories is enough to counteract their positive buoyancy, allowing for under-water EVA

Do you mind me using this on my base? It would not be required, but would make my construction process quicker and easier

3 hours ago, HamnavoePer said:

This looks fun. *Walks to Local Port and into Dry dock* Employees start noting that power-tools are missing...

Do you mind me using this on my base? It would not be required, but would make my construction process quicker and easier

Dude, Smokey only revealed a trick. You can use it with no problem. :D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.