Underwater Base

23 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Aha, old chap! So that's why!

Just kidding. We Americans? We're like this:

Has-Anyone-Seen-America-600x586.png

Hide contents

060.jpg

(In the most Steriotypical Accent Possible) Oh dear old Chap, That wall will be VERY expensive to fix. I'll just get a good old Police Officer round here and I'm sure EVERYTHING will be fine...

On 11/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, HamnavoePer said:

(In the most Steriotypical Accent Possible) Oh dear old Chap, That wall will be VERY expensive to fix. I'll just get a good old Police Officer round here and I'm sure EVERYTHING will be fine...

(In the most stereotypical southern accent ever)

MURICA'!!!!!

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

screenshot435screenshot442screenshot440

Orion Torpedo Sub. The photos show it equipped with Hydra Turrets, though this is no longer the case. Further tests showed that the rockets explode the moment they leave their pods. The current version of the sub is identical, but has the turrets removed. Testing with missiles will begin soon.

Surface Speed: 15 m/s

Vertical Diving Speed: 10 m/s

D-V > 20k

I will eventually modify the sub so that it can dock with the mining base I plan to make

Edited by Earthlinger

My base is not just underwater, it's floating underwater!

screenshot482

Stingray Attack Sub approaching the base. (Though at the moment, it's just one tower filled with fuel. I have yet to add a mining thingy to it. The thing literally just floats 100 metres below the surface:

screenshot484

Unfortunately, I 'docked' with it a tad too enthusiastically, and ended up shearing off the part filled with fuel. Further attempts to grab the remains and haul them to the surface were unsuccessful:

screenshot491

Edited by Earthlinger

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It does not. You can claw an asteroid and another craft, but not a planet/moon.

Aww....but it would make sense that way

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It does not. You can claw an asteroid and another craft, but not a planet/moon.

Just now, RedPandaz said:

Aww....but it would make sense that way

Hmmm....do asteroids sink?

You're better off finding or making a mod for a part that holds Lead or other particularly dense (non-stock) resource. Ore is annoying heavy inside a spaceplane but is annoyingly light for submarines (or most parts in general have too much buoyancy).

USI Core (which contains Kontainers), and USI Submarine are fair options to consider. The Buffalo rover (part of Wild Blue Industries, WBI) also has parts that can hold many resources, including Lead.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

You're better off finding or making a mod for a part that holds Lead or other particularly dense (non-stock) resource. Ore is annoying heavy inside a spaceplane but is annoyingly light for submarines (or most parts in general have too much buoyancy).

USI Core (which contains Kontainers), and USI Submarine are fair options to consider. The Buffalo rover (part of Wild Blue Industries, WBI) also has parts that can hold many resources, including Lead.

But if asteroids sink you could latch onto an asteroid and have it carry you down :D

It would be the Kerbal Way

Does it work?

1 minute ago, RedPandaz said:

But if asteroids sink you could latch onto an asteroid and have it carry you down :D

Personally, I suck at, or just never bother to catch asteroids, and I love the Wild Blue mods so I can just build a base with wheels and lead boxes, drive into the sea, and dump the wheels when I'm ready. I also don't know if asteroids sink or float despite their mass, lol. If you're up to it, go catch one then share the results with us. :) 

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

Personally, I suck at, or just never bother to catch asteroids, and I love the Wild Blue mods so I can just build a base with wheels and lead boxes, drive into the sea, and dump the wheels when I'm ready. I also don't know if asteroids sink or float despite their mass, lol. If you're up to it, go catch one then share the results with us. :) 

I could hyperedit one to right above the ocean ^^

I appear to have underestimated the difficulty of building underwater refineries.

My previous strategy of simply plopping fuel tanks with ore-filled containers on the bottom into the waters is proving to be a tad risky.

Just a tad, mind you. Lotsa wiggly action with the part clipping, for some reason.

Edited by Earthlinger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.