Are there any planets/moons you don't like? If so, why?

MythicalHeFF

Yea.... Eve... after this thread I saw in my main (3x) save game that an Eve window was coming, so I decided to test and then send eve exploration planes.

I had modded myself some ramrockets/turborockets/electric fans for use on Eve/Duna, and designed a large crewed ram/turborocket plane with life support and ISRU:

Even scatterer doesn't save it... mon dieu its so purple:

KANFnVU.png

Of course, with the EVE cloud mod and scatterer, its hard to see where you're going to land (I can't even see the ore overlay through the clouds :/ ) and that thing has to come in nearly empty to survive entry into Eve's atmosphere, so it needs to land where there is ore. A water landing turns it into a stationary floating base... so I made electric scout drones, which are also technically interplanetary space planes :P

6xcH869.png

Yzx9xBb.png

SkclmXm.png

sJyNRQU.png

I don't think that there's anything too ridiculous about this except for the purple-ness of eve (and that solar seems to work fine under all those clouds... I thought they had done something so that thick atmospheres could significantly weaken solar output...

Also note that the mk3 spaceplane pictured, doesn't reach space again after reaching eve... it tops out at about 1km/sec with air augmentation:

8vfKdhz.png

and orbital velocity in this modded version is about 5km/sec. These ramrockets do have a vacuum mode and can function like normal rockets for space operation... but this think is not going to get to space again once it lands on Eve. At best it can do the transfer under its own power after refueling in orbit of kerbin. Rapier powered spaceplanes barely make orbit with a 3x resize, so these ramrockets certainly won't (1440 atmospheric Isp relative to 3200 for rapiers. 295 vacuum Isp compared to 305. A worse TWR, and the 1440  Isp air augmented mode doesn't even work below mach 0.3, so it needs to accelerate under normal rocket mode, or using other engines like the turborocket engine I modded based on the panther)

Edited by KerikBalm

moho, it's not that hard for me to go there and back, indeed i done it with a SSTO. but don't you guys have that feeling or only me that you just lost all your interest when your vessel got into LKO and MJ tell you you still have that much ∆V need to burn... i'm not saying i can't go there but... just... try to think about it, laythe worth a long way trip and effort because the lovely ocean and the wonder of facing jool all the time, you go eeloo because the giant icy shell and reason of duna is the Mars like environment with little red face...but moho? just another MUN LIKE BODY with a huge sun on top of your vessel, and the huge sun really make me feel unfriendly...:confused:

oh BTW, i really like laythe:sticktongue:

In the real solar system it is Uranus, just because of its unfortunate name. We really need to rename that planet. Here is my suggestion. Since Uranus is the planet furthest from the Sun that is visible from the Earth with the naked eye, we should start the new name with the prefix 'a' with the meaning 'not' (as in 'apolitical') and logically follow the prefix with a reference to the sun. So, putting it together, I think we should rename the planet Asol. :)

21 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

In the real solar system it is Uranus, just because of its unfortunate name. We really need to rename that planet. Here is my suggestion. Since Uranus is the planet furthest from the Sun that is visible from the Earth with the naked eye, we should start the new name with the prefix 'a' with the meaning 'not' (as in 'apolitical') and logically follow the prefix with a reference to the sun. So, putting it together, I think we should rename the planet Asol. :)

Just pronounce it better. Say it like  "oo-ran-us," after all there isn't a "y"... or just spell it Ouranos. Or just call it "the Greek one."

it sort of has dried lake beds, and it does have a few eroded craters. If you have such a problem landing on it (1 of 9) is it really boring?

shameless plug for a modded version of Duna that you may find less boring:

Spoiler

Cd9AulT.png

vrstrFZ.png

5xnTypy.png

pbVSQzb.png

pLGaINy.png

1NGkUee.png

BjN9W3T.png

before giving it a scatterer config:

vO6g8di.png

TKYUQnT.png

Gilly

Those dang coriolis effect of compensating with gilly's rotation is what getting on my nerve everytime I tried landing something on it. Needless to say, everytime I land something there, something WILL break

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.