[1.12.x] TRP-Hire (formerly KSI Hiring)

linuxgurugamer

@TheReadPanda asked me to take over the mod, so I've done so.  Original thread is here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/111412-121-trp-hire-formerly-ksi-hiring/&

This mod used to be formerly known as KSI-Hiring.

So right now it has the following features:

• You can select the gender of your kerbal hires or make them random (male/female/random)
  • You can select the career of your kerbal.
  • You can select a number of kerbals to hire (1 to 10) but this is limited to what you can afford or what the Astronaut complex can hold in career mode.
  • You can set the kerbal Courage Stat (Higher is better!)
  • You can set the kerbal Stupidity Stat (Lower is better!)
  • You can set the kerbal Fearless attribute (On/Off - Game code calls this BadAss)
  • You can hire said kerbals with a hire button. If you are in career mode the various options you pick will change your cost.
  • In career mode you can hire level 0 kerbals without upgrading the complex, level 0&1 if you upgrade it once and 0, 1, and 2 if you have fully upgraded the complex. Note it costs more to hire more experienced kerbals.
  • If you are in career mode each kerbal that is MIA in a profession raises the cost of that profession by 5%. If you are in a mode that results in KIAeach kerbal of that profession that is killed raises costs for that profession type by 10%.
  • Additional traits are now supported

Note the cost increases are cumulative, so two dead kerbals results in a 20% increase if they were both pilots. If you have a bunch of dead pilots but not a single dead scientist it should not effect the scientist costs.

New feature:  The Community Trait Icons mod is now supported, if installed an icon will be displayed next to the trait.

Download

newAC.png <---New // Old --> oldAC.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, there was a recompile? I didn't even get that. I had assumed there wasn't one for whatever reason based on a lack of posts here, so I was just using the version that i last downloaded like.... several months ago? So 0.6.2. Aside from the AVC popup, nothing was actually out of the ordinary. I should probably download that recompile, though lol

Edited by Lupi

49 minutes ago, Lupi said:

Oh, there was a recompile? I didn't even get that. I had assumed there wasn't one for whatever reason based on a lack of posts here, so I was just using the version that i last downloaded like.... several months ago? So 0.6.2. Aside from the AVC popup, nothing was actually out of the ordinary. I should probably download that recompile, though lol

Well, when AVC tells you it's out of date, did you even think to check to see if it was updated?  AVC is a tool, if you don't use it, it won't do anything for you

@linuxgurugamer  The formula for stock hiring cost is 150n2+12350n (wiki/Astronaut_Complex), so maybe it should be more stock alike?

For example, "normal" kerbal (KCourage = 50, KStupidity =50) hiring cost equals to stock, then it go up and down. Something like that:

Spoiler

private int costMath()
{
  dCheck();
  float basecost = _STOCK_ ;                                 //  150*n*n+12350*n
  float couragecost = basecost * ( KCourage  /200.0 - 0.25); // if 0<KCourage<100,  -0.25*basecost < couragecost < 0.25*basecost
  float stupidcost =  basecost * (-KStupidity/200.0 + 0.25);

float cost =   basecost + couragecost + stupidcost;

if (KFearless == true)    { cost *= 2;    }                // badass gets x2

if (<gender> != <random>) { cost *= 1.25; }                // pay for choosing gender

DCost = 1 + (KDead * 0.1f);                                // don't know what it is.

float diffcost = HighLogic.CurrentGame.Parameters.Career.FundsLossMultiplier; // don't know what it is.

double currentcost = cost * (KLevel + 1) * DCost * diffcost * KBulki; // Is "KBulki" counter of purchased kerbals? 
                                                                        // Maybe some discount for buying many kerbals?
  return Convert.ToInt32(currentcost);
}

Edited by flart

22 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Does this conflict with @RoverDude's adapted/redacted of it for MKS?  Or can this be used to expand upin it?

I believe it technically conflicts - but the functionally is the same (aside from the MKS version allowing MKS classes), so you aren't losing anything.

55 minutes ago, flart said:

@linuxgurugamer  The formula for stock hiring cost is 150n2+12350n (wiki/Astronaut_Complex), so maybe it should be more stock alike?

For example, "normal" kerbal (KCourage = 50, KStupidity =50) hiring cost equal stock hiring, then it go up and down. Something like that

private int costMath()
{
  dCheck();
  float basecost = <STOCK,  150*n*n+12350*n>;
  float couragecost = basecost * ( KCourage  /200.0 - 0.25); // if 0<KCourage<100,  -0.25*basecost < couragecost < 0.25*basecost
  float stupidcost =  basecost * (-KStupidity/200.0 + 0.25);

float cost =   basecost + couragecost + stupidcost;

if (KFearless == true)    { cost *= 2;    }                // badass gets x2

if (<gender> != <random>) { cost *= 1.25; }                // pay for choosing gender

DCost = 1 + (KDead * 0.1f);                                // don't know what it is.

float diffcost = HighLogic.CurrentGame.Parameters.Career.FundsLossMultiplier; // don't know what it is.

double currentcost = cost * (KLevel + 1) * DCost * diffcost * KBulki; // Is "KBulki" counter of purchased kerbals? 
                                                                        // Maybe some discount for buying many kerbals?
}

The mod as written does a pretty good job of having a reasonable cost to hire.  Yes, the base cost is higher, but with what you propose, the 150*n*n+12350*n where n = number of kerbals already hired,  makes it very exponentially more expensive to hire more kerbals, which doesn't make sense.  The mod eliminates that by establishing a base cost of 25000 to hire, which is more than it costs to hire your first kerbal, but after the second kerbal is hired, the cost just gets unrealistic.  I also don't understand what you mean by  the entire expression, commas are not part of any  mathematical expression that I know of.

If you like the stock way, then use stock.  This is a well balanced alternative which I did not write, am just maintaining.  Why not contact @TheReadPanda and discuss this with him, since he is the original author, and is still around.

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

base cost is higher, but with what you propose, the 150*n*n+12350*n

It's just wiki info, possibly outdated, I talk about stock formula, whatever it is.

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

commas are not part of any  mathematical expression

It was just ill-formed pseudo code, edited for clarify (and let's not talk about dark side :))

Also (and at least), some config-file for users with these or those values would be helpful

And it can be checkboxed, for something like that

float basecost;
if (is_checkbox_constant)
 basecost = 25000 ;
else
 basecost = _STOCK_ ; //  150*n*n+12350*n or whatever it is

Edited by flart

50 minutes ago, flart said:

@linuxgurugamer Are you forget to add Issues tab to your repo?

@TheReadPanda  There is proposal (pseudocoded _IS_CHECKBOX_CONSTANT_ and _STOCK_):

Reveal hidden contents

private int costMath()
{
  dCheck();

// Params for config
  int const_cost = 25000;
  float b = 0.5;         // bad    kerbal cost coef, KStupidity = 100, KCourage = 0
  float n = 1;           // normal kerbal cost coef, KStupidity = 50,  KCourage = 50
  float g = 2;           // good   kerbal cost coef, KStupidity = 0,   KCourage = 100
  float bulk_discount1 = 0.85;
  float bulk_discount2 = 0.7;

float basecost;
  if (_IS_CHECKBOX_CONSTANT_)
    basecost = const_cost ;
  else
    basecost = _STOCK_ ; //  150*n*n+12350*n or whatever it is at stock game

float kerbal_quality = (100 - KStupidity + KCourage)/200;
  float cost_coef;

if (kerbal_quality < 0.5)         // Piecewise linear
    cost_coef = 2*(n-b)*kerbal_quality + b;
  else
    cost_coef = 2*(g-n)*kerbal_quality - g+2*n;

float cost = basecost*cost_coef;

if (KFearless == true)    
    cost *= 2;                      // badass gets x2

if (KGender != 2)                  
    cost *= 1.25;                   // pay for not random gender

cost *= KLevel + 1;               // pay for level

DCost = 1 + (KDead * 0.1f);       // don't know what it is.

double currentcost = cost * DCost * diffcost * KBulki; 

if (KBulki >= 5)                                //  discounts for bulk purchases
    currentcost *= bulk_discount1
  else if (KBulki >= 10)
    currentcost *= bulk_discount2

//TODO: BlackFriday :)

}

Issues now there

New beta release: 0.6.4-beta:

Only available by direct download on Github:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PHS/releases/tag/0.6.4-beta

•     Following changes submitted by @yalov:
    •         checkbox for stock cost system
    •         bulk purchase discounts (≥5 kerbals is 15% and 10 kerbals is 30%),
    •         BlackMunday discount (day when eclipse occurs),
    •         New Year discount;
    •         pay x1.25 for choosing gender (male of female),
    •         change default gender to random;
    •         pay x2 for badass (they pretty unique and should be expensive);
    •         low quality kerbal (Stupidity = 100, Courage = 0) gets x0.5,
    •         high quality kerbal (Stupidity = 0, Courage = 100) gets x2.
  •     Following changes by LGG:
    •         Added settings page
    •             Settings page includes:
    •                 KStockCost = false;
    •                 const_cost = 25000;
    •                 fearless_coef = 2f;
    •                 gender_coef = 1.25f;
    •                 bulk_discount1 = 15f;
    •                 bulk_discount2 = 30f;
    •                 black_discount = 10f;
    •                 new_year_discount = 50f;
    •         Removed the Stock Center button and put it into the Settings page
    •         Made all new settings fully configurable
    •         Added Disable All Modifiers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.