Duplicating KSP games for private use? [MAC USER]

Yes, @Lo Var Lachland you can simply copy the entire KSP directory to another location on your computer and run it from that other location if you desire. There is no DRM or copy-protection software installed.

It is allowed to make as many copies as you want for your own personal use - for modding, testing or backups as you intend to do. In fact, it is recommended that you make such copies in other folders if you intend to install mods. That way you can mod the copies and leave the one in your steam folder completely stock so that when you update to newer versions of the game it won't cripple your modded saves.

In your case I would simply go to the folder where Steam is storing KSP, by default that should be "Steam\SteamApps\common\" and simply copy the entire "Kerbal Space Program" folder then paste the backup copy in any other folder on your computer. You can run directly from the new copy by running the 32 bit file "KSP.exe" or the 64 bit file "KSP_x64.exe". If you want to remove your mods then simply delete anything inside of "Kerbal Space Program/GameData" that IS NOT named "SQUAD". You MUST keep the folder called "Squad".

Again, it's recommended to keep the copy in your Steam folder unmodded, and use the other copies for modded versions if desired.

As always, you should NOT share copies of KSP with others who haven't bought the game. Many of us have purchased multiple downloads of the game for friends and family because it is the right thing to do.

Happy Kerbaling!

Edited by HvP

40 minutes ago, HvP said:

Yes, @Lo Var Lachland you can simply copy the entire KSP directory to another location on your computer and run it from that other location if you desire. There is no DRM or copy-protection software installed.

It is allowed to make as many copies as you want for your own personal use - for modding, testing or backups as you intend to do. In fact, it is recommended that you make such copies in other folders if you intend to install mods. That way you can mod the copies and leave the one in your steam folder completely stock so that when you update to newer versions of the game it won't cripple your modded saves.

In your case I would simply go to the folder where Steam is storing KSP, by default that should be "Steam\SteamApps\common\" and simply copy the entire "Kerbal Space Program" folder then paste the backup copy in any other folder on your computer. You can run directly from the new copy by running the 32 bit file "KSP.exe" or the 64 bit file "KSP_x64.exe". If you want to remove your mods then simply delete anything inside of "Kerbal Space Program/GameData" that IS NOT named "SQUAD". You MUST keep the folder called "Squad".

Again, it's recommended to keep the copy in your Steam folder unmodded, and use the other copies for modded versions if desired.

As always, you should NOT share copies of KSP with others who haven't bought the game. Many of us have purchased multiple downloads of the game for friends and family because it is the right thing to do.

Happy Kerbaling!

Thank you much! :D 

However, I have a Mac, so .exe files cannot be run. Solution?

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I'm not very experienced with Mac computers, I'm afraid. But I believe there should still be an executable file that you can run manually. Do you have an exec file when you right-click the application and "show package contents"?

If your problem is different then you might find the answer here: https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/?page_id=19 or here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

I wish I knew more about Macs to help you, but I think you can change the title of your question to ask for help from Mac users. Or maybe post a followup question in the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/70-technical-support-pc-modded-installs/ sub-forum with a title that specifically asks for help with Mac installs.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help there.

11 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

On your steam library page, down in the bottom left corner you should see an "add game +" button, click that and direct it to the .exe of your backup copy of KSP, name it something else and that should work. Emphasis on "should".

This is why I don't like apple products >.>

The Kerbal Space Program folder should be located at:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/

Copy the folder "Kerbal Space Program" that is at that location anywhere you want. In that folder is the application "KSP" that is what you run to play.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.