[ROUND 1] The Kopernicus Creativity Marathon Season 3

What is the Kopernicus Creativity Marathon?

An open competition for those who want to build planets. Every three weeks, a new challenge, describing what sort of planet or celestial body we are looking for. After the closing date for each challenge, the planets shall be judged and the winner shall be put in the Community Planet Pack.

Judging:

Planets shall be judged by thee following characteristics:

• Beauty: How attractive they are to view, and the level of detail and apparent effort was put into the world.
  • Accuracy: How closely they match the challenge guidelines.
  • Creativity: How unique and original is the planet, its features, and its use of procedural generation and/or textures.

General Entry Rules:

• Planets must be made using an up-to-date version of Kopernicus and Kerbal Space Program. Any planets that are not updated to the current version will be disqualified.
  • Planets must be created for this contest. No planets released in other planet packs may be entered.
  • Any planets must be entered for the competition before the completion of each challenge. After the final day, submissions will be ignored.
  • All planets must be released to myself under an MIT license, such that the worlds can be polished and made more consistent with each other so they can be released as a community planet pack. We can discuss alternate licenses in the private messenger. All credit will be given to the creators of the planets.
  • Any entry containing a generic Space Engine export will be disqualified, however those which use the in-game editor may not be if it looks good in KSP.
  • One planet per person per challenge round.
  • Co-operation with other people is fine, but must be restricted to one planet per team.
  • The above two rules may be loosened if a challenge calls for a specific number of bodies together.
  • No plans, ideas, screenshots/images, or files regarding your planet may be shared until the completion of the challenge round for which it was designed.

-CURRENT CHALLENGE ROUND-

Post Date: July 18th, 2017
Closing Date: August 8th, 2017
Time: 3 Weeks

The terrestrial space agency NASA has just released topographical data of one of their solar system's dwarf planets, Pluto. As such, the gods of the Solar System are gloating at us. We must one-up them.

Your task is to design an icy dwarf planet oribiting the sun outside Eeloo.

GUIDELINES/RULES:

-Take inspiration from the known dwarf planet terrains: Pluto, Charon, and Triton.
	-Its orbit must be apparently stable, and not particularly ridiculous. 
    -Try to strike a balance between realism and beauty.
    -Planetary radius should be between 70km and 180km, with a density between 1.5 g/cm^3 and 2.5 g/cm^3.
    --Radius, Mass, Density, and Gravity are related, in Earth-relative units, as G = M/(R^2) = R*D.
    --Earth density = 5.51 g/cm^3. Earth radius = 6370 km.
    --If your values for geeASL don't fit within the radius and density, then it will be lowered in the polishing phase.
    -You may add a small minor moon if you wish, but it will be judged separately from the dwarf planet. If it is not satisfactory it will be removed.

• 2 months later...

The judging sounds arbitrary.  

I feel like this sort of "competition" is a breeding ground for animosity.  I absolutely did not enjoy the last round.  

I'd like the community planet pack to be a journey of learning and discovery, not a battleground of secrecy, and arbitrary judgement.  

2 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

The judging sounds arbitrary.  

I feel like this sort of "competition" is a breeding ground for animosity.  I absolutely did not enjoy the last round.  

I'd like the community planet pack to be a journey of learning and discovery, not a battleground of secrecy, and arbitrary judgement.  

Well, some rules could be changed, but I like the idea of such a competition. The need for secrecy could be eliminated, I don't think a lot of modders could copy your exact planet from a screenshot. The judging could be a little less arbitrary, whatever "arbitrary judging" means.

My suggestion is to just put up a "generic" template on github, let people fork it, make additions and demonstrate cool kopernicus abilities.  Then we can discuss adding various aspects as people make pull requests to be merged into the "main project".  We can let Greg be in charge of that. And hopefully by the end date we have a cool planet that EVERYONE can be proud of.  And maybe a few can sprout off the sides as well...

The old hands get a chance to help/show off.  The noobs will get a chance to learn, and everyone can follow along. 

That way we can put up pics too :D.

And who cares if anyone "copies"?  Imitation is the truest form of flattery right?  The more planets the better!

There is tons of talent around our community.. There might be someone that might not know everything about terrain PQS, but might have something interesting to say about why certain orbital characteristics should be changed because of mass considerations...

Maybe someone is really good at 3d modeling, and makes a really nice crystal formation for scatter, but doesn't have 10 hours to polish 7 biomes worth of science definitions?

Or, there might be among our distinguished community, someone who really wants to make a completely flat biome made of plad with pink polkadots on an otherwise rocky and baron moon...  This might be a place to come and ask?

Instead of "Winners/losers" we can have "Contributers" and people can put a star or something in their sigs.

Is there any way to download any past creativity marathon winners, let alone runner ups?  (My "runner up" moon for Dres, is called Spud and is still maintained, and distributed along with Kronkus). I remember Greg voting to disqualify Spud the very first day I submitted it for showing a pic.

Edited by MrChumley
Mrcarrot likes quoting. I like editing.

26 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

My suggestion is to just put up a "generic" template on github, and let people fork it and make additions and demonstrate cool kopernicus abilities, and we can discuss adding various aspects to the " main fork".  We can let Greg be in charge of that. And hopefully by the end date we have a cool planet that everyone can be proud of.

That way we can put up pics too :D

Well, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I shall get to work right away..... not really. I'm currently caught up in 2 separate projects.

11 hours ago, MrChumley said:

I remember Greg voting to disqualify Spud the very first day I submitted it for showing a pic.

Are you sure? I am fairly sure I had nothing to do with the first Kopernicus Creativity Marathons.

(The marathon is going so slow I don't find any need to keep it going. You do you Mr. Chumley. You seem to have some decent ideas and I might even contribute, but I won't be in the driver's seat.)

@MrChumley- if you don't want hostility/competition in a community planet pack (not to say that the KCM has hostility, but to be honest, I was too late to participate in the first one) try the Community/Blender Planet Pack by @Cabbink.

Or, you could make your own.

I had an idea for a sort of Kopernicus-based "game show" that had no need for secrecy, you can even livestream it on twitch if you want, just a little friendly competition.(Still judged, though, because you really can't have something like that without judges, I mean, come on), but I'm not sure if that would constitute roleplay. Hey @Vanamonde, would it?

Edited by Mrcarrot

16 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Are you sure? I am fairly sure I had nothing to do with the first Kopernicus Creativity Marathons

Spoiler

Look it doesn't matter.  I'm not accusing anyone of anything.  I am saying that my feelings were hurt last time (probably unintentionally), and I don't want the same thing to happen to someone else.

There must be a better way, and I have given my thoughts on it (even way back when)...  I'm willing to get something started and kinda work the clutch when I have to, but mostly stay out of the drivers seat.

Edited by MrChumley
Breathe and be at peace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.