A new mission report arises! Heading to jool W/ kerbalism!

Hmmmmmm I need a plot device to start this off.........

Year 3, day 239.

Tracking station, KSC.

Bob Kerman was looking over the latest astrometry read-outs on the jool system, while he was observing the orbital resonances, he noticed something anomalous between Laythe and Tylo, something defiantly out of the ordinary, disrupting the orbits of both of the planet-moons in a very regular fashion, causing a very interesting orbital resonance of both of the moons, eyes widening, he knew exactly what was happening, another planet-moon, orbiting between Laythe and Tylo, he rushed to the mission control room (during their coffee break), and they agreed to the mission, although bob personally thought that Wherner, and Gene agreed to just shut him up, so they could finish their coffee break in peace. The VAB team started work on a latest pod design, named (very colorfully) Eggshell 2, no one, AND I MEAN NO ONE, shall ever speak of Eggshell 1 since it`s last few test flights. With the rocket put together with ample amounts of superglue, duct tape, and coffee, it was rolled out to the launch pad on a Eggshell booster.

After a beautiful lift-off from launchpad K-19, it began its graceful gravity turn, into Kerbin`s summer clouds 

zadkJH7.png

PAj5Rj7.jpg

After a successful launch (the first one since the cursed Eggshell-1), they proceeded to test out the crafts maneuverability in orbit, and it`s OMS engine

UirvwJc.png

bR4VAZo.png

And with much bickering about Bob`s mustache distracting bill, they prepared for re-entry

SV1Z8mv.png

Then as they felt the gees from re-entry slowly creep up,

ebGFACw.png

They continued bickering, but did not realize one very, very important thing..... They forgot a parachute!

So, Bill being Bill, he decided to channel his inner para-trooper, and jump out

PC72Wc4.png

<CLASSIFIED> <REMOVED FROM TEXT> <NO!> 

After a very long fall, both bob, and bill survived, bob being the lucky one, he survived with only a very wet mustache as a injury... Bill, on the other hand had to be carted away in a charter boat that the kerbals use for recovery.

dW5GTZG.png

And this, was the end of the first (mainly successful) test flight of Eggshell-1  

Year 3, day 300

VAB

After a terrible hour of calculating rads that the crew would get on the ship, it was decided that they would have one module that is highly protected from radiation to act like a storm shelter, and a electro-magnetic field to protect them from the "ambient radiation". Bob was convinced that he would be fine, nothing would dare touch his amazing mustache!

Related image

Bob has problems.

Anyways, progress on Eggyolk-1 is going swimmingly, just an increase of habitat space is required, and more food, and they are good to go!

UoCCOm0.jpg

Eggshell-2 has been docked to the eggyolk!

after a insanity-causing rendezvous, it has been docked (no, really, two hours)

LwaO0Zl.jpg

lift-off of eggyolk-2!

apWxPXn.jpg

the orbit burn......

1Mup5fC.jpg

ooooooh! pretty!

wjgbfrk.jpg

the trajectory pre-manouver

I3lGG2m.png

Vall! stop screaming!

fjDnvg8.png

I can see it!

iYRem86.png

aligning, so I don`t break anything!

EGhxwNa.jpg

docked!

VeBr054.png

talking a "little" walk, I removed the heat shield, as i`m using a tylo grav. assist to make jool orbit

cqAMss9.png

vall returning to kerbin, while bill is doing a extended check-out of the ship

2V4nBzn.png

Landed! I remembered to add parachutes!

3 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

no cryosleep! they will get a re-supply at jool.

Hi there, i highly recommend DeepFreeze...  a resupply mission is a good idea but your crafts are going to be incredibly heavy...
And the radiation dose Kerbals accumulate will be 100% lethal while arriving at Jool, unless you find a way to shield radiation completely... this will add even more weight.:) 
Good luck torturing!

Edited by Mikki

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.