Contracts

I've done a quick search here and found an old thread that I think basically said you can cancel contracts w/o penalty, or at worst minimal penalty.

As a newb who has just started I have a somewhat similar question so I can determine the most effective strategy to adopt with contracts that are about to expire (currently I have one that's about to I guess disappear, or be held against me for not completing in 5 hours):  so, the question is this: should I accept the contract even if I'm sure I can't complete it (this one is a survey and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to figure out how to get to it yet with my limited knowledge, and I'm not looking for clues as to how to handle it, want to figure that out on my own or fail on my own trying), or should I reject these I'm pretty confident I can't complete either due to time or limited skill because that will do the least damage to me financially and in terms of my reputation?

Sorry for the run on paragraph...and thanks in advance for the help.

The only penalty you receive for contracts that expired but we're never excepted is that, in the weighed-contract system, you are slightly less likely to receive similar contracts in the future (and that's if you actually looked at the contract; if you didn't, letting it expire will have no effect at all). There is no reputation hit. If you decline it, or worse, except it and fail to complete it, you will be penalized.

Just let it expire. It'll be replaced with a new contract soon after. Hopefully one you can complete. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

Notice that the "Expires in ..."  refer to the time limit to accept an offered contract (visualised or not).  

The deadline to complete an accepted contract,  if exist,  will be in the contract details window. 

Also, don't be afraid of actively declining a contract you find uninteresting.  The actual penalty is pretty small. 

14 hours ago, easytarget said:

Thanks man, appreciate the response, just what I needed.

No problem (sorry for the delayed response; RL got in the way). And @Spricigo's right about declining contracts. It's usually a very small penalty (and nothing compared to accepting one and then failing). If you keep getting a certain type of contract that you find uninteresting or just gotten bored of, with the weighed contract system, you only need to decline one or two and you'll be much less likely to get similar ones in the future. It can be a good way to ensure you receive contract offers you find fun and actually want to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.