Rotating docked components

Geonovast

Is there a mod out there that will let you rotate your ship while remaining docked?  I'm getting better at docking, but getting the rotation lined up right where I want it is still pretty tricky, especially for assembling modules in orbit that are meant to be landed.  Being off by even one or two degrees bugs the hell out of me.  So I'd like something that will let me rotate after docking.  Something with indicators, ideally with the same snap points as you have in the VAB.  I've tried searching here and on CurseForge but I'm not seeing anything.

The closest I know of would be Konstruction's 'rotate and compress' option, which I think will rotate them as it welds the parts together.

However, as an alternate solution: Konstruction and others have docking ports with angle-snap, which means the ports won't dock in the first place unless the angle is exactly right.  (And there's some magnet play in there to make sure 'close enough to dock' doesn't have to be exactly perfect, while the end docking is exact.)  Konstruction's allow you to alter that on the fly, while most others just have set angles, but if you look you can find a decent selection of angles available. 

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

The closest I know of would be Konstruction's 'rotate and compress' option, which I think will rotate them as it welds the parts together.

However, as an alternate solution: Konstruction and others have docking ports with angle-snap, which means the ports won't dock in the first place unless the angle is exactly right.  (And there's some magnet play in there to make sure 'close enough to dock' doesn't have to be exactly perfect, while the end docking is exact.)  Konstruction's allow you to alter that on the fly, while most others just have set angles, but if you look you can find a decent selection of angles available. 

I know it doesn't help the OP exactly, but it explained a lot of my issues docking with Konstruction and MJMJ is trying to hold a specific angle of rotation, and if it doesn't line up exactly with the ports, it just bounces off the port until I turn off MJ.   Makes sense now.   Guess I'm trying to use two screwdrivers on the same screw. Thanks. 

EDIT: I've had issues with using Konstruction ports on normal ports, they usually don't dock, so if the OP tries this route, they will have to adapt both craft somehow.   Doubled up docking ports or something. 

Edited by Gargamel

16 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Docking Port Alignment Indicator mod might help you to solve issue before docking:

What kind of tolerance does docking have?  Depending on how the game snaps (1 degree, 2 degrees, 10 degrees), the indicator might be enough.

Ideally I'd like to rotate after the fact, but get-it-close-enough and snap would be fine.

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

What kind of tolerance does docking have?  Depending on how the game snaps (1 degree, 2 degrees, 10 degrees), the indicator might be enough.

Ideally I'd like to rotate after the fact, but get-it-close-enough and snap would be fine.

As far as I'm aware, unless angle-snap is on for a docking port there's basically infinite tolerance for the angle.  The mod linked just gives you a better view of your angle during the dock, so you can line it up better.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

EDIT: I've had issues with using Konstruction ports on normal ports, they usually don't dock, so if the OP tries this route, they will have to adapt both craft somehow.   Doubled up docking ports or something. 

Just decided to note on this:

If they *ever* dock for you, that's a bug.  :wink:  They are a different 'size' than normal docking ports, and only docking ports of the same size can dock together.   (Note that this 'size' is a text string in the config file - it has nothing to do with the appearance or physical size of the part in the game.)

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

So they can only dock with each other?  Shouldn't be a problem as long as I remember to use them where I want permanent attachments.

Yep.  There are three sizes, each of them can only dock with themselves.  Not a big issue, as long as you know it before you start sending ships up.

4 hours ago, DStaal said:

Just decided to note on this:

If they *ever* dock for you, that's a bug.  :wink:  They are a different 'size' than normal docking ports, and only docking ports of the same size can dock together.   (Note that this 'size' is a text string in the config file - it has nothing to do with the appearance or physical size of the part in the game.)

I said usually because I couldn't remember ever having them dock together.    So yeah, they don't work together. 

Two options. There's a mod called SnapDock or there's a lightweight MM config here:

look under the Gameplay Changes section for the angle dock config

This adds it to stock parts

Edited by Tyko

Ven's Overhaul changes the stock docking ports to have a 'bumper' - which extends out and holds the ships together with magnets, while allowing rotation.  When satisfied with the placement, retract the bumper and the ships will hard-dock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.