[STOCK] [OUTDATED] McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle

4cLZKNT.jpg

INTRODUCTION

As a relaxing little break from creating propeller aircraft I've decided to recreate one of the most prominent 4.5th gen jet fighters of the modern era - the F-15C Eagle. Not a single Eagle has ever been lost to enemy fire and the airframe itself, although almost 40 years old by now is continiuously proving itself to be a formidable foe to every modern jet fighter. The F-15C is currently the definitive variant suited for air-to-air combat and maintaining air superiority. It is a heavy airframe weighing in at approximately 20 tons loaded, powered by Pratt and Whitney F100 low-bypass turbojet engines, each putting out approximately 100kN of thrust when running reheat. The plane is capable of reaching over Mach 2.5 at it's operational ceiling. The Eagle is extremely capable in terms of it's maximum loading and can achieve an operational range of over 5500km when used with it's conformal FASTPACK fuel tanks. This replica is an attempt at creating a detailed and correctly performing Eagle. The weight is about right, and the engines have been tuned to provide the exact same amounts of static thrust the real F100s would provide. I managed to get the values down to 0.1kN accuracy. The replica is fully stock. I hope you will enjoy flying it.

GEnSpAR.jpg

FEATURES

Here are some basic features included with the replica.

1. Correctly performing recreations of P&W F100 turbojets producing exactly 64.9kN of dry static thrust and 105.7kN of static thrust wet (toggle with AG 1).

2. Retractable flaps (Toggleable with AG 2)

3. Functional airbrake (Toggleable with AG 3)

4. Realistically modelled drop tanks, the centerline tank is exhausted first.

HOW TO FLY

The flight characteristics of the Eagle are rather standard. If you can fly any other jet in KSP, flying this one should also be relatively easy. Flaps and the airbrake can be used to slow the airframe down. The top speed at sea level with the drop tanks on sits at Mach 1 and gets better with altitude. Keep in mind that the drop tanks add considerable weight to the airframe and they should be ditched when entering combat. Take off at about 70m/s, land at approx 65m/s. Keep in mind that the airframe, although agile, is rather heavy and has plenty of intertia, especially when performing low-level maneuvering with drop tanks on.

rejqW1M.jpg

Have fun taking the Eagle to the skies and fly safe. Feel free to leave requests and suggestions down below so i can improve my replicas!

DOWNLOAD LINK

https://kerbalx.com/EvenFlow/F-15C

Updated on 22-07-2017, V1.1

CHANGELOG

1.0 - initial release

1.1 - major structural tweaks done which make the craft more similar to the original in terms of proportions. before, the ratio of lenght to width of this replica sat at about 1.52:1 (14.2m x 9.3m) and the horizontal stabilizers were unproportionally big when compared to the main wing. now this issue is fixed and the replica has the exact same length-width ratio as the real plane (1.46:1 14.2m x 9.7m for the replica and 19m x 13m for the real Eagle). pictures were changed accordingly, but here is a gif to portray the changes I made better:

giphy.gif

(old one in the first frame, fades to the new one which is visibly wider and more proportional)

(i think it just goes to show how bad my OCD is with those replicas. WELP, GOOD FOR Y'ALL I GUESS)

Edited by EvenFlow

F-22 has been on my to-do list for ages now. I just can't seem to think of how I could accurately represent some of it's features (e.g engine nozzles) with stock parts while maintaining the Raptor's "slickness" and keeping it true-to-scale. It would be an ambitious undertaking though, and I can't say no to a nice challenge. Will give it a try after I'm done tweaking some proportions on the F-15C which I am doing right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.