MechJeb with aircrafts

Kommodore

For autopiloting planes Mechjeb isn't the best. It's more oriented towards rockets.

I would try Atmosphere Autopilot or Pilot Assistant, but I have not used either mod so I don't know which is better.

1 hour ago, Jas0n said:

For autopiloting planes Mechjeb isn't the best. It's more oriented towards rockets.

MechJeb is perfectly fine for aircraft.

@Kommodore
Just install it and find out. If you don't like it simply remove it again. KSP is EXTREMELY mod friendly. Just try it.
And if you don't want to risk any craft in your career game try it out in a sandbox. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Edited by Tex_NL

MechJeb is passable for aircraft.  There are other autopilot mods out there that do a much better job at flying an airplane.  Things like speed and altitude MJ is pretty weak on.  It does have the plane landing module, which basically sets up and flies an ILS approach to either of the stock runways in the game.  So when I'm flying a plane, I use a combination of Pilot Assistant (I believe) and MJ, but pretty much only for landings and finding the KSC

I mean, I want it to do level flight, automatic flight and ILS landings. If it is not the good mod, can you tell me which is the good one? It will be essential for me because I am an horrible pilot. I killed Jeb a lot of times.

Edited by Kommodore

11 hours ago, Kommodore said:

I mean, I want it to do level flight, automatic flight and ILS landings. If it is not the good mod, can you tell me which is the good one? It will be essential for me because I am an horrible pilot. I killed Jeb a lot of times.

As I mentioned, MJ will land, and is passable for level flight.

I use Pilot Assistant (I think that's the mod name) for flying.  It will hold a bank, a heading , or a direction.  It will also hold a pitch, rate of climb, or an altitude.  It will also maintain a speed.  It will do all of these things at the same time.  So if I'm flying level at 5000m at 250 m/s, and I ask it to turn to a heading, it will try to maintain the altitude and speed also.  You can also adjust the PiD settings too, to account for quirks in your aircraft. 

On 7/22/2017 at 7:46 PM, Kommodore said:

I've downloaded Atmosphere Autopilot. For some reason, it makes my game crash on loading. So I will try Mechjeb

I'm running 1.2.2 and atmosphere autopilot works for me, go to spacedock click on changelog and select the version that is one down from the 1.3 changes. 

Of all the plane autopilots AA is the best, it manages to control un controllable aircraft that mechjeb or pilot assistant cause to flip.

Geh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.