What are the wierd parts of our community

Kerbal pancake

Roleplaying is generally not allowed on our forums because it is highly difficult to moderate- Not from an over-moderation standpoint, but from one where personal attacks are disguised or dismissed as "just roleplay." It's one of the most common questions asked, and the reason why roleplay isn't allowed goes back a very long time. It just causes headaches and more problems than it's worth allowing.

Weird? How about a grown man with four kids being so utterly consumed by a game that I'm almost always tired and distracted at work because I was up late playing the game and right now I'm thinking about last night's mission and the one I'm going to do today? How about being disdainful of my kids playing Call of Duty-type FPS crap while I spend all of my free time playing the game or trying to hurry up and finish whatever I've got to do so I can get back to it? How about spending all of my downtime at work looking at and commenting on posts from people I'll never meet who are probably in another country (until confirmed otherwise, I assume you're all German :))? Or that a like or quote from one of them somehow makes me happy, while not getting one sometimes makes me angry? How about that one of the highlights of the last month was receiving the thrilling notification " @OhioBob quoted you in a question (oh, the anticipation: would he point out what an idiot I am, or give me a pat on the head? sorta turned out to be the latter, and I'm still absurdly pleased about it)? Or that each night, when presented with the decision to (ahem) "spend time" with the woman, get some sleep, or play KSP, the Kerbals have a winning record? And all this from a guy who is not a space nut or sci-fi freak? Who has 60 other games from Steam (half of which have never been loaded) collecting dust? That this game somehow immediately captured my imagination and now has a hold on me in a way that is utterly impossible to adequately describe?

That weird enough for ya?

1 hour ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Weird? How about a grown man with four kids being so utterly consumed by a game that I'm almost always tired and distracted at work because I was up late playing the game and right now I'm thinking about last night's mission and the one I'm going to do today? How about being disdainful of my kids playing Call of Duty-type FPS crap while I spend all of my free time playing the game or trying to hurry up and finish whatever I've got to do so I can get back to it? How about spending all of my downtime at work looking at and commenting on posts from people I'll never meet who are probably in another country (until confirmed otherwise, I assume you're all German :))? Or that a like or quote from one of them somehow makes me happy, while not getting one sometimes makes me angry? How about that one of the highlights of the last month was receiving the thrilling notification " @OhioBob quoted you in a question (oh, the anticipation: would he point out what an idiot I am, or give me a pat on the head? sorta turned out to be the latter, and I'm still absurdly pleased about it)? Or that each night, when presented with the decision to (ahem) "spend time" with the woman, get some sleep, or play KSP, the Kerbals have a winning record? And all this from a guy who is not a space nut or sci-fi freak? Who has 60 other games from Steam (half of which have never been loaded) collecting dust? That this game somehow immediately captured my imagination and now has a hold on me in a way that is utterly impossible to adequately describe?

That weird enough for ya?

For me, it's basically the same. I'm just younger, have no own kids and am studying instead of working. And ahh, yes: I'm german.

Some people on the forums are not from Germany though. Some are from the US, I think @cratercracker is Russian (not sure), and I also read someone's post that was from Japan. Also, I have the suspicion some of the devs are Mexican :kiss:.

This is what I meant as "weird"

Go to the YouTube channel army or 4 and scroll down until you see the video. You'll know which one it is by its messed up title. (Won't post link since I'm not shure if it's allowed in forums)

Edited by Kerbal pancake

Weirdest???

Some of the fan fiction... I mean, there's this one nutcase in there that's writing about wormholes and brain-pods and other weird stuff.... :confused:

(sorry... couldn't resist... lmao)

Edited by Just Jim

The whole forum - even the moderators - and that's what so great about it.  Why be boringly normal when you can be KSP? :D 

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Weirdest???

Some of the fan fiction... I mean, there's this one nutcase in there that's writing about wormholes and brain-pods and other weird stuff.... :confused:

(sorry... couldn't resist... lmao)

Yup, and to help the addiction, some jerk makes a sea bug boat... :D 

The weirdest part of our community? Nothing. We're just like every other group of people on the internet. We have our own rules, values, inside jokes, hazing rituals, etc... "Weird" is always subjective to the observer and the terms of observation, and in my opinion there is nothing different between this grouping of people and any other.

9 hours ago, Physics Student said:

For me, it's basically the same. I'm just younger, have no own kids and am studying instead of working. And ahh, yes: I'm german.

Some people on the forums are not from Germany though. Some are from the US, I think @cratercracker is Russian (not sure), and I also read someone's post that was from Japan. Also, I have the suspicion some of the devs are Mexican :kiss:.

You can be 100% sure that i am russian now.

The Weirdest part? There is nothing weird or strange here. The only kind of odd things are the people who "overreact" to events in the community. If for example a KSP update gets delayed, these people think that KSP is dying and the upcoming update will never be released. I mean, i never get why people turn extremely negative over small things that obviously can happend. But every community got their overreactors, and there is nothing to do about them, they just exist.

These are the same kind of people are the people who think Global Warming is going to destroy our planet and destroy us all in the next 10 years, and although Gobal Warming is a very big problem, its not going to kill all life. I mean, life on Earth survived a global ice age and an asteroid strike. We will always adapt to our environment. This also applies to pretty much every community like the KSP community. One oddity does not mean the end of everything.

Edited by NSEP

The weirdest part is in my opinion that obviously very young people are celebrating aspects of war in this forum, without being involved personally to such situations despite having acted themself in a realworld weaponized conflict.

This should be observed much closer aswell as roleplaying.

If funding for wars was put to space exploration, humans would be colonizing the solarsystem in a fashion that we could allready call us a multiworld species.

I have met (Or silently recognized) several people in this forums with realworld war experience and the psychological issues to return into civilian life (If alive and sane at all) are sad and mostly not suitable to explain a younger public.

War and anything related to it is a part of human reality, but it should not be freely celebrated in this forum as in certain threads allowed, but this is solely @SQUADs business.

21 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

How about spending all of my downtime at work looking at and commenting on posts from people I'll never meet who are probably in another country (until confirmed otherwise, I assume you're all German :))?

Nope. I'm American. I don't like McDonalds, which is apparently weird.

I think the weirdest most inventive part of the forums is The Spacecraft Exchange. You just never know what you're going to find.(Although a Kaleidoscope is a good bet.)

Some people only use KSP to make and drive land trains. I think that's weird, but they enjoy it a lot, so that's cool.

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I think the weirdest most inventive part of the forums is The Spacecraft Exchange. You just never know what you're going to find.

I am guilty of this. :D 

On 7/23/2017 at 5:00 AM, Kerbal pancake said:

Sorry.

i should have said the one I saw was wierd.... I can't go into detail but it's called structural failure

I was curious - I wish I hadn't been.

On the other hand I wouldn't characterise it as fan-fiction. The attention-seeking twerp who wrote that pile of gratuitous unpleasantness clearly wasn't any sort of KSP fan.

Edited by KSK

On 24.07.2017 at 1:16 AM, cubinator said:

Some people only use KSP to make and drive land trains.

I find more weird that KSP doesn't have parts to make land trains.

On 23.07.2017 at 0:26 PM, cratercracker said:

You can be 100% sure that i am russian now.

Or perfectly roleplay. :P

On 7/22/2017 at 11:23 PM, Tex said:

Roleplaying is generally not allowed on our forums because it is highly difficult to moderate- Not from an over-moderation standpoint, but from one where personal attacks are disguised or dismissed as "just roleplay." It's one of the most common questions asked, and the reason why roleplay isn't allowed goes back a very long time. It just causes headaches and more problems than it's worth allowing.

Yea, I don't agree with it but I can really understand why it's been forced external. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.