[1.3+] Make Stayputnik Available Earlier

Kerbal101

Whilst playing hard linear career, I noticed that initially the space exploration needs to be manned, because only Mk1 capsule is available for quite long time.

While this is OK with default Techtree and if reloading is acceptable, it could lead to catastrophic results for hard mode without possible reload when playing Community Tech Tree.
In addition, historically Sputnik did it before human orbital flight.

164px-Sput.png

What this mod does: it moves 2 parts - Stayputnik and Z-200 round battery block from "Electrics" (Level 3) into "Engineering101"(Level 2), making it possible to unlock and launch Stayputnik-based rocket prior to kerbal flight. This also allows basic AI early, which can be crucial for initial part/rocket testing, saving many kerbal lives.

Requirements: ModuleManager and basic text editor!

Compatibility: extremely wide :)

Installation: create a new text file with any text editor in your Gamedata directory and paste these lines:

@PART[batteryBankMini]
{
 @TechRequired = engineering101
}

@PART[probeCoreSphere]
{
 @TechRequired = engineering101
}

save it with "cfg" extension (like "probe.cfg") in your Gamedata folder, and launch the game. I believe this is much faster than downloading anything. :)

License: public domain (CC-0)

Notes: with just AI and basic battery unlocked, long term space orbiting is nearly impossible, so this is historically accurate (I think). Sputnik was battery-powered, but not remotely controlled.

1 hour ago, Aerospacer said:

The idea is right. But imho Z-200 is more tech part and must be added later.

My propose - just increase Stayputnik's electric capacity to 100 (may be 80?).

And add weight to the part to represent a battery of that capacity. 

Good idea @Kerbal101

Edited by Nightside

or create Z-50 or Z-25 battery (using the same model at the Z-200) but reduce weight and cost appropriately and locate them at the appropriate tech node. perhaps use a scale factor on the part to make it just that bit smaller visually as well.

That keeps the base Stayputnik as is and doesn't screw up other players' craft files.

Regardless - @Kerbal101, I think your idea to move the stayputnik earlier is fab.

Edited by Wallygator

Guys, thanks for feedback!
The Z-200 is very different from Z-100, internally Z-200 is referenced as "smallest battery bank", thus the Z-200 is not really more advanced than Z-100.
In addition, Z-100 is surface-attachable, where Z-200 - inline and It matches the lower side of Stayputnik perfectly.

I think this solution is the most compatible and least invasive. :)

UreCuyj.png

Edit: I didn't realize Community MM Patches topic exists, as such - moving that over here and locking this thread. :)

Edited by Kerbal101
Moving to MM topic