Operating Systems Used for KSP

something

What Operating System do You Use to Run KSP?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What Operating System do You Use to Run KSP?

• Linux (please specify distribution and desktop environment)
    • Mac OS (Apples and Gravity do have some link at least)
    • Windows (please state your version of windows)
    • Consoles (please state console)
    • Other (please specify)

5 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Windows 10 - has not bothered me more or less than any other version - but I am just a gamer and know very little, do very little behind the scenes, so ... :)

Always wanted to try and see if KSP runs better under Linux - any insights?

I tried KSP on my Windows computer at work, which actually has a processor at nearly twice the clock speed of my Linux machine and 2GB more memory.

The Linux version runs better.  Have no idea why.

Windows 10.  Because KSP doesn't have a Linux/ARM version to use on Raspberry Pi.  Or Pi doesn't have enough RAM.  Or possibly both...

Have formally (pre 1.0) used KSP on linux (I think Mint and an Ubuntu release), however due to weird UEFI bugs, not reinstalling again until I get a newer computer.  Windows 10 is an upgrade from Win 8, and I really don't want to have to use recovery disks to get Win 8 back, possibly without the upgrade...

Mostly on Windows 7 x64 and a bit on Ubuntu 16.04 (I'd play more on my ubuntu setup, but a) I can't get drivers working to customize the extra buttons on my mouse, b) I try to not game too much in ubuntu as that's where I work so try to keep the distractions down!)

1 hour ago, 1101 said:

Windows 10.  Because KSP doesn't have a Linux/ARM version to use on Raspberry Pi.  Or Pi doesn't have enough RAM.  Or possibly both...

KSP for the Pi? That would be a dream come true ... 

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I tried KSP on my Windows computer at work, which actually has a processor at nearly twice the clock speed of my Linux machine and 2GB more memory.

The Linux version runs better.  Have no idea why.

It likely has to do with the GPU on your work machine (I'm assuming some sort of on-board video). Contrary to popular belief KSP does, in fact, need a decent video card to handle the terrain shaders. Outside of low orbit it should run just as good, provided there aren't any other limitations on the machine such as mandatory running software.

Actually I don't use an operating system, I print out the entire code for the game and do the math by hand. I then use wool socks and a carpet to generate static electricity I use to shock the pins of an HDMI cable hooked up to a 4k monitor to generate my screenshots.

[edit]

apperantly i have OSX 10.11.6

Edited by MrWalrus123

I'm running Kubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (which includes KDE 4).  Sometimes, when I feel like improving performance a little, I'll switch to XFCE desktop, which is quite a bit easier on system resources than KDE.  This is necessary because I'm running a Core2Quad 2.7 GHz, instead of a modern processor with higher per-core performance (lack of many hundreds of dollars to upgrade the motherboard/CPU/RAM is responsible here).
  If it matters, I have the Linux native direct download (not Steam) version of KSP 1.2.2, only mods are Better Burn Time and just-installed Scatterer (quality has to be turned down a good bit to get decent frame rate and physics rate).

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
typo

4 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I'm running Kubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (which includes KDE 4).  Sometimes, when I feel like improving performance a little, I'll switch to XFCE desktop, which is quite a bit easier on system resources than KDE.  This is necessary because I'm running a Core2Quad 2.7 GHz, instead of a modern processor with higher per-core performance (lack of many hundreds of dollars to upgrade the motherboard/CPU/RAM is responsible here).
  If it matters, I have the Linux native direct download (not Steam) version of KSP 1.2.2, only mods are Better Burn Time and just-installed Scatterer (quality has to be turned down a good bit to get decent frame rate and physics rate).

GoG?

If it is, just curious is 1.3 is available to you to download.  I bought it as 1.3 but it wasn't clear if newer versions would be free or not.  Would be awesome if it updated through the repos but since it didn't install that way, somehow I doubt it.

5 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Windows 7

Reason: It came with the laptop, Windows 8 is unusable, and watching my mother use Windows 10 makes me want to stick to 7. Apparently 10 has issues that can make it almost unusable.

I'm curious as to what issues these might be,  I've been running on 10 for over a year now, and other than having to upgrade a couple drivers (which is completely understandable), I have had 0 issues. 

Now I understand when a specific machine has issues with 10, like I said, if the manufacturer of a part never updates drivers.   Or if the machine is a controller for a piece of shop machinery, and the old software won't run on the new OS, I can see someone having an issue with being forced to update. 

Having never encountered any issues before with 10, could somebody please enlighten me to systemic failures associated with W10?  And remember, the plural of anecdote is not data. 

20 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Having never encountered any issues before with 10, could somebody please enlighten me to systemic failures associated with W10?  And remember, the plural of anecdote is not data. 

It might have something more to do with the UI rather than any inherent problems with the OS. I am fortunate to not have to use the tablet-esque menu on my machine, the one we're using at work has a pretty obnoxious interface.

Since I've never encountered any issues beyond mild annoyance I would like to amplify this call for information on systemic failures.

@Gargamel and @regex

I can't say I've seen any show-stopping problems with Windows 10, though my experience is mostly with laptops from work which came with 10 installed. I believe there were the typical growing pains associated with an OS release/major version upgrade, and the number of issues at launch may have been exacerbated by Microsoft launching 10 as a free upgrade to 7, 8, and 8.1 systems.

Lately, however, I haven't really seen people mentioning the inability to move to Windows 10 because it won't work. I believe that for the most part if you can run Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can run 10.

For me it comes down to some little annoyances at little changes between 7 and 10. Nothing so dramatic as the changes from 7 to 8, but enough that I had no desire to upgrade while it was free. When I build my next system I'll move to 10 because at that point the benefits will outweigh the small annoyances.

On a somewhat related note, I will say that 10's auto-update and then auto-reboot with no way cancel the reboot came as an unpleasant surprise on one of the work laptops. It didn't cause a problem, but it was close. I've since set it to not update during peak hours, but I wish there was a way to disable the auto-reboot completely.

1 hour ago, Mako said:

For me it comes down to some little annoyances at little changes between 7 and 10. Nothing so dramatic as the changes from 7 to 8, but enough that I had no desire to upgrade while it was free. When I build my next system I'll move to 10 because at that point the benefits will outweigh the small annoyances.

My major exposure was to 8 RT for tablets, and that was a total piece of bunk.  Worst OS I've ever used, and that includes prime digit releases of DOS, and Win ME. 

Auto updating issues occur with all OS's that have them scheduled, and the user/admin doesn't set the proper times. 

I think the largest blowback from w10 comes from it being a M$ product, and that some people were 'forced' to upgrade.  I personally was happy with 7 and waited as long as I could to get the free upgrade, and aside from a couple small bumps, it's been a quite pleasant experience. 

Win 10 Pro, because I need Hyper V.

33 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Auto updating issues occur with all OS's that have them scheduled, and the user/admin doesn't set the proper times. 

Its all good and fun until update removes half of control panel applets you got to know over last decade just to replace it with weird touchscreen things with half of options gone. And then some bugs breaks your user profile a bit and all metro apps stop working, which includes control panel part for user management so you can't just create new user, that renamed IE thin without proper drag&drop and proper keyboard shortucts (in case you ever thought that googling out your problem might help), revert/recovery and even clock and calendar. Ugh. That was "fun". Good thing I know Konsole-Fu, but in retrospect, format c: would be easier and faster :D

Edited by PT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.