Operating Systems Used for KSP

something

What Operating System do You Use to Run KSP?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What Operating System do You Use to Run KSP?

• Linux (please specify distribution and desktop environment)
    • Mac OS (Apples and Gravity do have some link at least)
    • Windows (please state your version of windows)
    • Consoles (please state console)
    • Other (please specify)

Debian GNU/Linux v9.1 (Stretch). KDE desktop.
Previously Debian 6.x, 7.x, 8.x. Smooth reinstall-free upgrades every time, including KDE major versions... Mostly anyway. KDE does tend to ship a few new minor bugs with each release.

I'm not sure what all the fuss over auto updates is, my Debian boxes all run scheduled, unattended upgrades. Have for years. No problems whatsoever to report.
I like to be around for dist-upgrades of course, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Then again, most of the complaints seem to be from Windows users, so I wouldn't know. I got tired of the BS M$ likes to pull on it's "customers" a long time ago. Sometime in '99 IIRC.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:17 PM, NSEP said:

Windows 8.1. Im not getting near Windows 10, to many negative reviews.

It's better than Windows 8.  The negative reviews are comparing it to Windows 7 which is the Cadillac of Windows.  Windows 8 was a complete travesty and should be eliminated like Windows ME.

Speaking of which, I use Windows 7.

Edited by Alshain

Debian 9/xfce4 (+ gnome editor and a calculator).

I once used gnome and gnome2 and was content. When i tried gnome3 i didn't get it. So i looked for something with the historic look and feel and found xfce and got stuck.

Never tried kde, maybe i should, but it works for me and i am too lazy (or stubborn) :-)

Edit: I always update manually. Have done too many rollbacks in my life ... and since i browse very cautiously and never open emails i do not know where they come from i had never a problem with malware (until now).

Edited by Green Baron

11 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I'm curious as to what issues these might be,  I've been running on 10 for over a year now, and other than having to upgrade a couple drivers (which is completely understandable), I have had 0 issues. 

Now I understand when a specific machine has issues with 10, like I said, if the manufacturer of a part never updates drivers.   Or if the machine is a controller for a piece of shop machinery, and the old software won't run on the new OS, I can see someone having an issue with being forced to update. 

Having never encountered any issues before with 10, could somebody please enlighten me to systemic failures associated with W10?  And remember, the plural of anecdote is not data. 

My big issue with it is from a computer professional standpoint.  For the average user auto-updates are a wonderful and glorious thing to have.  However Microsoft assuming it knows better than the IT professional is not.  Case in point, when Windows 10 first came out I jumped on the bandwagon and upgraded for free.  Windows 10 decided to update my Nvidia drivers, no problem right?  So then the game I was playing quit working properly (Elite: Dangerous if you need to know).  I uninstalled them only and restored the original drivers on my machine only to have Windows decided it knew better than I did and put the new ones back.  I uninstalled Windows 10 after less than a week and never went back.  Forced updates are not a good thing, especially when it's a 3rd party company's drivers and the user is an IT pro that knows better than your average user.  If ever Windows 7 can't be used I'd rather go to Linux than Windows 10.  That said Windows 10 is great for the average consumer who never updates their OS and should.  OS updates are pretty important.

Edited by Alshain

12 minutes ago, Alshain said:

My big issue with it is from a computer professional standpoint.  For the average user auto-updates are a wonderful and glorious thing to have.  However Microsoft assuming it knows better than the IT professional is not.  Case in point, when Windows 10 first came out I jumped on the bandwagon and upgraded for free.  Windows 10 decided to update my Nvidia drivers, no problem right?  So then the game I was playing quit working properly (Elite: Dangerous if you need to know).  I uninstalled them only and restored the original drivers on my machine only to have Windows decided it knew better than I did and put the new ones back.  I uninstalled Windows 10 after less than a week and never went back.  Forced updates are not a good thing, especially when it's a 3rd party company's drivers and the user is an IT pro that knows better than your average user.  If ever Windows 7 can't be used I'd rather go to Linux than Windows 10.  That said Windows 10 is great for the average consumer who never updates their OS and should.  OS updates are pretty important.

I completely agree that forced updates of 3rd party drivers are a bad thing, but shouldn't also the third parties in question, in particular NVidia and other larger companies, be aware of this and update their drivers appropriately?  Yes, that is kind of like demanding our mod makers update their mods the day after a new release drops.  But that is why I waited 8 months or so to update. 

Just now, Gargamel said:

I completely agree that forced updates of 3rd party drivers are a bad thing, but shouldn't also the third parties in question, in particular NVidia and other larger companies, be aware of this and update their drivers appropriately?  Yes, that is kind of like demanding our mod makers update their mods the day after a new release drops.  But that is why I waited 8 months or so to update. 

Sure, but Nvidia's problem was a bug.  Bugs happen, we don't like it but they do.  Microsoft's problem was a design choice.  Huge difference.

6 hours ago, Mako said:

On a somewhat related note, I will say that 10's auto-update and then auto-reboot with no way cancel the reboot came as an unpleasant surprise on one of the work laptops.

I have never experienced this on my Windows 10 machine, every time it wants to reboot after doing updates it asks me and I just put if off until I shut it down for the night. No more odious than the Mint updates I run 90% of mornings on my work machine. Maybe it's a Dell OEM thing.

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

It's better than Windows 8.  The negative reviews are comparing it to Windows 7 which is the Cadillac of Windows.  Windows 8 was a complete travesty and should be eliminated like Windows ME.

Speaking of which, I use Windows 7.

I use windows [8] for gaming and Linux (Mint debian edition) for everything else (which means my KSP saves aren't available when I comment, and if I haven't updated Steam/KSP for awhile it isn't even feasible to fire KSP to test before commenting).

My main gripes with win 8 are that it keeps popping up its demand that I "upgrade" (I don't want my OS to be spyware) and the usual inability of windows to shut down (I *hate* hearing a machine I commanded to shut down whirring away 10 minutes later.  Linux tends to believe humans know what they are doing).  I don't interact with windows internals enough to have issues with every little control panel absolutely having to use up my (28" desktop) display.

Note that it *needed* the 8.0 -> 8.1 upgrade, and I suspect much of the grief it gets is from the idiotic interface (everything must act like a tablet.  But I think 10 came out before Surface took off).  8.0 managed to crash a lot when a game went full screen (which is crazy considering that win8's big thing was "full screen apps").

Linux Mint 18.1 LTS KDE Serena, on a fairly old (7 years) desktop for everything I need to do. I could boot to Windows 7 if I wanted to but haven't had the need since... just about ever.

The wife needs Windows 10 for work and has a nice Dell laptop w/an nVidia card. But when running a game on it, it's like a room space heater and battery eater... ugh.

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Auto updating issues occur with all OS's that have them scheduled, and the user/admin doesn't set the proper times. 

5 hours ago, steve_v said:

I'm not sure what all the fuss over auto updates is, my Debian boxes all run scheduled, unattended upgrades. Have for years. No problems whatsoever to report.

1 hour ago, regex said:

I have never experienced this on my Windows 10 machine, every time it wants to reboot after doing updates it asks me and I just put if off until I shut it down for the night.

So maybe I should say it's the auto-reboot to apply an update that was the issue rather than the auto-update. I'm quite used to auto-update as well, but I've never had a system reboot to apply the update without permission until Windows 10. Perhaps this was an edge case, but it nearly caused me some trouble.

I do live production for events, and my Windows 10 laptop must have downloaded an update when it connected to the venue's wifi (auto-connected since it was a venue we frequent), and when it was idle it rebooted without warning to apply the update. I'm used to the nag screens of previous Windows versions, but there was nothing this time. I suspect it was a security update that was deemed a priority and/or that the system hadn't been updated in a while. Whatever the reason, it rebooted to apply the update without asking if it could, and I almost missed my cue because of it.

I now check for updates before taking the systems out into the field, and I've set them to ignore updates during our busy hours. It's limited to a 12-hour window of the day, but it covers most of the time we operate and it's better than nothing.

Perhaps there is something I've overlooked, but at the time it happened the only way I could find to avoid it happening again was to set those limits or make sure the system doesn't connect to the internet (not always an option depending on the event).

I also use Windows 7 systems at work, and I've never had to defeat auto-updates to be in control of what is going on.

Windows 7 x64, because I've been using it for a while, I don't like Windows 10, and switching to Linux is more hassle than I want to go through. Not to mention that I dislike every extant operating system, and so it's easier to just stick with what I have. I'd be dissatisfied either way, so...

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Windows 7 x64, because I've been using it for a while, I don't like Windows 10, and switching to Linux is more hassle than I want to go through. Not to mention that I dislike every extant operating system, and so it's easier to just stick with what I have. I'd be dissatisfied either way, so...

It is a bit of a learning curve, but Microsoft's inability to understand that NO MEANS NO was what made me make the jump.  I uninstalled the updates that triggered the pathetic begging to upgrade to 10 at least 5 times.  It was when I saw the little icon saying "downloading Windows 10" that I was done.  I do like Windows 7, a lot.  I use it at work.  But at home, it's nothing but Linux now.

It was ME that made me make the move to install a linux distribution  (openSuse iirc). Linux then did show me, that it wasn't my hardware which was failing but my 'operating' system. Basically ME was the last windows version I ever owned. Now my employer forces me to use 7, which is more stable than ME but doesn't compare to any Linux distro I ever usef. So yeah maybe I gonna invest a few bucks to get myself 7 in order to play some games...not sure if it's worth it, though...

7 hours ago, SpecialSpock said:

I play KSP on my Xbox because:

1. I bought my Xbox before my laptop

2. I don't have enough storage on my laptop with all my Adobe Premiere projects.

1)I tried to figure out how this was possible.  I don't think in my world that could happen, but then, I really had to think back.  I'm pretty sure I bought (at least my parents did) the TI-99/4A long before I owned my first console (NES), But I guess I can see that happening.

2) External HDD's are dirt cheap these days for bulk storage.  I use one for the laptop backup drive, and to store all my digital videos so I can plug it into bluray player (slowly working on a networked solution)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.