Operating Systems Used for KSP

something

What Operating System do You Use to Run KSP?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What Operating System do You Use to Run KSP?

• Linux (please specify distribution and desktop environment)
    • Mac OS (Apples and Gravity do have some link at least)
    • Windows (please state your version of windows)
    • Consoles (please state console)
    • Other (please specify)

On 7/24/2017 at 7:49 PM, Geonovast said:

GoG?

If it is, just curious is 1.3 is available to you to download.  I bought it as 1.3 but it wasn't clear if newer versions would be free or not.  Would be awesome if it updated through the repos but since it didn't install that way, somehow I doubt it.

I'm not sure what GoG means in this context -- I keep seeing it as Guild of Greeters from URU: Myst Online, from 2003 (closed down, reopened, closed down again, and last I heard, running with static content as Myst Online: URU Live, for free).

I bought KSP directly from this web site (kerbalspaceprogram.com) -- got it on special last fall, for around 1/3 the current retail price.  Most fun I've had out of a commercial game for the price.

And I've just verified that, yes, I seem to be able to download 1.3 without additional payment if I want/need to.  I haven't seen any significant reason to upgrade, so far -- I don't need languages other than English, and was under the impression there is little if any update in the software itself compared to 1.2.2.  My computer doesn't handle a bunch of extra stuff well (Core2Quad, with lower per-core performance than a current i3 iteration), so I don't run a bunch of mods.

Edit to add: I quit using Windows on my own computer while I was trying to decide whether to upgrade to Vista or wait for 7 -- and got FBI Moneypak twice in six months, after almost 25 years without a malware infection.  Both times, I was able to defeat it on my own, but that prompted me to actually start using the Linux I'd had set up for dual boot for a while.  That was when MEPIS 11 was fresh.  When it failed to upgrade for a long time (project fizzled, apparently), I switched to Kubuntu (I was used to KDE by then).  I haven't booted XP on my desktop machine since 2011, and it's no longer bootable (not sure what's broken, don't really care).  My laptop still has Win7 dual booted with Kubuntu 14.04, but I haven't booted it into Windows in almost two years (I bought it just over two years ago).  My next machine will hopefully be preinstalled with Ubuntu, though I may replace the default version with Xubuntu or Kubuntu because I don't like the default GUI.

I'm still on 14.04 because 16.04 went to KDE 5, which killed a lot of my visual pleasure in using Kubuntu (a lot of the eye candy was removed, and/or the developers of the eye candy couldn't be bothered to update their stuff in time for the release).  I'm thinking of replacing my 16.04 Kubuntu with Xubuntu 16.04 to see if the underlying system has any significant improvements.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon
Add background

On 7/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, Gargamel said:

1)I tried to figure out how this was possible.  I don't think in my world that could happen, but then, I really had to think back.  I'm pretty sure I bought (at least my parents did) the TI-99/4A long before I owned my first console (NES), But I guess I can see that happening.

2) External HDD's are dirt cheap these days for bulk storage.  I use one for the laptop backup drive, and to store all my digital videos so I can plug it into bluray player (slowly working on a networked solution)

1. My parents only let me get a laptop for school, but they let me get an xbox the previous year.

2. I bought KSP before I bought my 1 TB external drive, which I forgot I had when writing my answer.

I could probably re-purchase the Mac version, but I'm fine with 1.1 on console.

37 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I'm not sure what GoG means in this context -- I keep seeing it as Guild of Greeters from URU: Myst Online, from 2003 (closed down, reopened, closed down again, and last I heard, running with static content as Myst Online: URU Live, for free).

Great (Or Good) Old Games. https://www.gog.com/

Although they should probably rebrand at this point since they also carry current games (Like KSP) and are developing original content.

Oh man I just found the installation guide of the OS of my very first own desktop system.  It reads - and I kid you not: "Seine hohe Zuverlässigkeit, die einfache Handhabung und die erweiterten Hilfefunktionen machen Windows Me zum ausfallsichersten Betriebsystem für Heimanwender" ("Its high reliability, the easy handling and the extended help functions make Windows Me the most reliable operating system for home users.")

To be completely honest, "the high reliability" of that very OS was the thing which finally let me install some linux distribution on my computer. I think it was some openSuse versions. After tons of crashes I suspected a hardware failure and installed Linux to find out, if things would be as bad with another OS. First, I used the system, awaiting the imminent crash or reboot. After a day or so I just kept using it to see if it would crash at all. After a week or so, I realized Linux wouldn't crash, kept using it and started telling Windows users about it. None of them ever changed to Linux afaik. Although, ME was a real reason to show the middle finger to MS...

MS and the people from openSuse did a rock solid job back then - I never came back to Windows. Recently my employer forced me to use Windows 7 and I am still giggling if I am paid for watching a loading screen minute after minute. With the recent developments (windows 10), I am thinking of getting a win7 version - just in case I want to play a windows only game some day in the future.

Windows 7 Pro here.  I've even gone to the trouble of buying a win7 OEM install disk (after they stopped selling the OS to push 10) to install it on my next build, because of the things I've seen Windows 10 do.  I've watched it freeze and even bluescreen left, right, and centre when streaming games, I've seen it update and reboot without permission, and I've even seen it break the driver for a serial port.

So, I'll just give that mess a wide berth, and possibly try one of the hacky "Windows 9" things kicking around, but for now, KSP runs on win7.

On 7/27/2017 at 8:51 PM, something said:

Oh man I just found the installation guide of the OS of my very first own desktop system.  It reads - and I kid you not: "Seine hohe Zuverlässigkeit, die einfache Handhabung und die erweiterten Hilfefunktionen machen Windows Me zum ausfallsichersten Betriebsystem für Heimanwender" ("Its high reliability, the easy handling and the extended help functions make Windows Me the most reliable operating system for home users.")

I gave up while using windows 98.  I had toyed around with Linux from nearly day 1 (it took nearly a week to download about 8 floppies for the SLS distro over 2400bps dialup...), but eventually once I had an external DSL modem I could switch to Linux (my "DSL card" remains the only piece of hardware I never had drivers for.  Note that I also have a tape drive that never had windows drivers (but worked under Linux).  Turns out the best way to connect a windows machine to the internet in those days was to connect a Linux machine to DSL, and then connect the Windows machine (presumably using a swapped ethernet patch cable) to the Linux machine.  Windows DSL drivers were pathetically unstable.

It didn't take very long to switch my desktop machine to Linux as well, and suddenly the internet felt like it was in "native mode" (possibly because I learned to use Unix before DOS.  A weird situation).  This made watching windows XP security debacles amusing (Lockheed Martin's response to the Melisa virus was to finally shut down mail once the virus overwhelmed their system.  Presumably they didn't care *what* programs hackers ran on their windows boxes until it interfered with actual operation).

Eventually, Microsoft managed to make somewhat functional computers (and hackers learned about holes that even effect the mighty Linux: check badUSB if you laugh at the idea of worrying about sticking an known USB stick in your machine).  But then microsoft came up with Windows 10 (and made it wildly difficult to avoid having your machine hacked into surrendering to this malware).  Now your machine exists to spy on you to get any information that Microsoft wants (and expect any security updates from XP on up to include this spyware).  Linux (or OSX) is the only way to avoid such things (and you probably want to avoid Ubuntu.  Like win8's "give a desktop a tablet's interface", Ubuntu was there first.

Windows 7, as I need the full MS office suite installed for work reasons. I use Ubuntu on other machines for the speed and reliability if I don't need Office installed. This post is written from a MacBook, and my primary laptop is a Surface running Windows 10.

I don't see the big difference between operating systems these days, all are reliable and easy to use, and I more or less think it has been so since Windows 7. XP ran solid as well, at a time when Linux was a real pain to get running but the only thing that could not be brought down.

32 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's a bit like saying, "I refuse to use a Mac because I need my OS to support pre-emptive multitasking."

Or "I refuse to use Windows because I need my OS to have a native TCP/IP stack". 

53 minutes ago, /not/pol/ said:

i like not having to use a CLI for 90 percent of my daily computer operations

I use Windows.

I also have a habit of using the CLI to handle things whenever I can, since Windows thinks it knows what I want to do (it doesn't), and protects me from doing something dangerous (aka: what I want to accomplish).

8 minutes ago, razark said:

I use Windows.

I also have a habit of using the CLI to handle things whenever I can, since Windows thinks it knows what I want to do (it doesn't), and protects me from doing something dangerous (aka: what I want to accomplish).

lol. at any one time i have a command prompt window open. im not arguing agaisnt CLI im just saying i prefer to use a GUI most of the time and my experience with ubuntu saw constant commands. i think i wore out the s u d and o keys on my Keyboard. they fail to press sometimes

Windows 8.1 with some user interface tweaks.  I can't do 10 it's just too much of a bandwidth hog and you have to do many hoops to stop that (like shutting down the update services but then remembering to turn 'em on when you actually need an update)...given that I figure I might as well just move over to Linux, I once used Unix on a PDP-11 so I should know everything I need :wink: .  I actual downloaded Manjaro but the sha1 key didn't match so I'll have to try it again (I'm sure it was my crappy ISP, the best one available here).  I think from what I've read it should be good with KSP.  As far as I can tell some of the older games I play that are Windows only should run fine in Wine...it's not like their performance couldn't be cut in half and I still wouldn't notice.  I do have a DVD and BD ripper that only runs in Windows and hopefully works in Wine--if not I guess I can set up a VM (which I need to do anyway) with Windows since I tend to do that in batches anyway. 

What's the deal on KSP Linux version do I have to buy that or does my Windows version (bought on steam) let me also get the Linux version?

Edit: so I voted Windows, hopefully next year I can vote Linux...not that it's a scientific poll or anything, but it's interesting none-the-less.

Edited by kBob

1 minute ago, kBob said:

What's the deal on KSP Linux version do I have to buy that or does my Windows version (bought on steam) let me also get the Linux version?

For multi-platform Steam games, one purchase gives access to all the versions. I've installed KSP on both Windows and Linux using the same Steam login.

6 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

For multi-platform Steam games, one purchase gives access to all the versions. I've installed KSP on both Windows and Linux using the same Steam login.

Works the same with with GoG.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.