Does you applying thrust limiter settings in VAB

Pawelk198604

I means does you setting thrust limiter settings in VAB editor, Often happens to me that i lose control over my rocket on low attitude when i put pedal to the metal to much on 1st stage :D   

I remember old days on KSP when you only had just accelerate as fast you can and than tilt rocket in direction of orbital plane you want usually 90 degree ;-) on altitude about 20 km and you ware on orbit :D 

Now i's more demanding but also give more fun and realism :) 

So i wonder does you use thrust limiter, because if i do so i usually do it only for 1st stage, because i like speeding to much :D 

(Good, there is no any Kerbalian police patrol here :P

I sometimes use the thrust limiter on liquid engines in flight, for example when I want to do a tiny maneuver node with high precision but don't have RCS available. In the editor? Yeah, there's little reason to throttle anything other than solid motors.

I've been known to use the thrust limiter in a Delta IV Heavy type setup: three otherwise identical cores, but with lower thrust on the middle one so that it continues to run for a while after the boosters have been jettisoned.

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I only tune the thrust limiter(s) on SRBs.

^ This.  I do it for two reasons:

• I don't want a TWR that's too high, since that can lead to problems such as wasting dV to excessive aerodynamic drag, or hitting plasma blackout on the ascent and losing control of my ship (if it's uncrewed).
  • I generally like to take off with a TWR that's exactly the same for every rocket.  It makes for predictable launches-- I start my gravity turn right off the pad, and if the rockets all have the same TWR, it makes it a lot easier to decide how many degrees to tip so that I nail the gravity turn just right.

So I tune my SRBs, and leave liquid-fueled engines alone.

eBAKYsM.png

This setup uses a Rhino on the orbiter (high efficiency and thrust at altitude, but relatively poor at sea level), and a Mainsail (better thrust and ISP at sea level, but poor at high altitude) on the booster tank.  As it gets higher and lighter and starts to really push out the time to apoapsis, I dial back the thrust limiter on the Mainsail so the Rhino does most of the work.  That gets me into orbit with more leftover dV than Rhinos on both craft.  

It would be nice to do a differential throttle, so the Rhino throttles up as the Mainsail throttles down, but that's probably too much work while I'm flying the thing by hand.

4 hours ago, Hotaru said:

I've been known to use the thrust limiter in a Delta IV Heavy type setup: three otherwise identical cores, but with lower thrust on the middle one so that it continues to run for a while after the boosters have been jettisoned.

When I do this I tune the thrust limiter of the center core manually in flight, even shutting down the engine when the rocket is light enough to accelerate on just the side cores.

Frequently, almost always, I'll look to tweak thrust to weight - it is, perhaps, unfortunate, that we must rely on mods (or maths) to inform us of this.

Too much TWR can result in a rocket un-inclined to tip over.

Too much TWR means an over heavy engine which could be replaced with something more modest resulting in more DV.

Only really tune down TWR when alternate engine choices aren't available or if the margins are so slim it makes sense.

Generally aim to have no more than 1.8 TWR at launch, try for a smooth path to 45 degrees & mach 1 at 10km, 30 degrees by 30km and fall to, but no lower than, 20 degrees thereafter through the atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.