I need people's help with a girl I like. PLS

Natokerbal

13 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

But if a worker casually/sometimes says to another worker: "Wow, you look very nice!" after he/she comes with new hair or anything obviously pretty/new, it can not possibly be a basis for such charges. It's a clear case of frivolous litigation and any decent lawyer would wreck that case. Hell, the judge would dismiss it as such, with a fee.

The lawyers were telling us otherwise, and since they are, you know, actual lawyers, I will, no offense, take their word over yours. 

7 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

The lawyers were telling us otherwise, and since they are, you know, actual lawyers, I will, no offense, take their word over yours. 

At the university where I worked, during a sexual harassment training session, one of the trainers actually recommended that if you do ask a co-worker out, you have them sign a statement that claims 1) they consent to contact regarding personal interaction, and 2) you make sure your umbrella insurance policy covers accusations of sexual harassment. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Caution rules all when employers write these policies. They don't ever want to end up in court at all, dismissal or not!

The question the company asks its lawyers is not, "What would someone have to do to have a greater than 50% chance of losing a case in court?"

The question they ask is, "What should we tell our employees to minimize our likelihood of having trouble in this area?"

5 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

How the hell is that even legal? What is wrong with those people?

I'm pretty sure any tiny lawyer could stomp the crap out of that on court.

I'll go out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong with those people; I'm going to guess they live in the US, being the most litigious nation in the world.

Workplace harassment can result in fines and damages payments that an outsider would quickly refer to as “outrageous.” Add to it that in a courtroom the definition of “workplace” can by more inclusive than you’d think is reasonable (Any place where you encounter colleagues is considered ‘the workplace,’ was the rule at one of my employers, and that includes malls and movie theaters) and you'll see a lot of CYA in company regulations.

It's often not that those rules are aggressively enforced, but when the you-know-what hits the you-know-where no company wants to be liable for a lawsuit that alleges “the company had nothing in place to prevent this from happening” and thus most (large, deep pocketed) companies do have fairly restrictive rules like that in place.

What can possibly go wrong when you “thread carefully?” Well, that first lunch date can go very well, you thought, so you ask her out again. She considered it awkward and uncomfortable, and when you ask her out again you have HR on your heels before you know it. That's of course a worst case scenario that doesn't happen that often, but it's something to consider.

Or you just go for it. I met my wife at a company with strict rules. They still threw us a wedding shower and everything. Just thread very, very carefully.

• 3 weeks later...

A little while ago about a month I started a discussion titled I need help with A girl I like PLS. Well I have an update for that. If you responded thanks a TON I am in your debt forever. I asked her to "Brunch" due to time constraints with work schedules. We Talked for a bit and love to hang out with each other. I actually found out she plays ksp so I hope she doesn't see this. But we went to dinner one night and I asked her if she was interested in anyone. and surprisingly she said yours truly. :)

We always hang out together when we do something fun. like walk around the rocket park in the US space and rocket center in alabama  when we are on lunch break. I would Like to thank again everyone who gave advice on that forum post. The reason I started A new one is because I knew noone would see it so This was my only other idea.

23 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

I actually found out she plays ksp so I hope she doesn't see this.

You might be surprised what happens if she does.  It will only show more of your interest in her, and most women would find that cute.  You didn't say anything too weird, so I think your safe.   Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.