How much of your time is spent getting mods to work, rather than playing?

Just curious how much time other people spend getting their horrifically modded installs to work, rather than playing the game. My time is probably split 60% playing to 40% troubleshooting and working around bugs, which is actually a pretty staggering amount of time, now that I think about it, considering how much I have played KSP over the last 6 years :confused:. What's it like for you?

-Wasn't sure if this should go on this forum or general ksp discussion...

--For example, I decided to play KSP an hour and a half ago and I have yet to launch anything due to updating mods and finding what's breaking stuff...

Edited by TheUnamusedFox

If you're spending 40% of your total KSP time just trouble shooting mods you're doing something seriously wrong. Personally I run a good number of mods. I do not know how much time I spend on installing and trouble shooting but I do know it's closer to 0.4% than 40%.
And no, I do not let myself be hobbled by a completely unnecessary tool like CKAN. I install them manually and correctly the first time.

Edited by Tex_NL

16 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

If you're spending 40% of your total KSP time just trouble shooting mods you're doing something seriously wrong. Personally I run a good number of mods. I do not know how much time I spend on installing and trouble shooting but I do know it's closer to 0.4% than 40%.
And no, I do not let myself be hobbled by a completely unnecessary tool like CKAN. I install them manually and correctly the first time.

Hehe, I generally run about ~130 mods, even in 32-bit. I have got a bunch of installs that ride the line of OOM crashes, and I have a good few dozen different installs - RSS, 3.2x, 6.4x, 10x, with various planet packs, varying realism and difficulty, and making sure all of them can run for a few hours without a crash took a lot of work, therefore 60-40 :P  In reality, it's probably closer to 30-70, but here recently with 64-bit I keep piling on mods till the tower breaks down and having to go over it with a finetooth comb to find what's breaking what, write cfgs to make different mods incorporate resources and converters I need to get them working with eachother, and plenty else. It's a nightmare, but an engaging one.

Edited by TheUnamusedFox

I find it funny when people want to talk about how many mods there running really ? You talking about a folder a cfg just how many have plugins ? and many have more then one part in it just how many mods you are running doesn't tell any one anything funny how people want to say i'm runny 2000 mod o yah i'm running 2001 lol ya are true kerbals :confused:

But back to the thread well KSP has got less funny to play for me and spend more of my time playing around with parts or getting old mods to work in 1.3.0   I think there are more problems now in KSP then there was and left thinking what KSP was thinking there getting less real then they was, I thought this was to be a simulator now it's turning into a kiddy game 

*shrug* Very little time. Fire up the ckan client, let it update everything that has an update, go and play the game.

Things get a little bit more hairy for a while after a KSP update, but still nowhere near 40%.

i have ~120 mod installed
most by ckan
wen i start seeing mod problem i just make a new copy of my stok dir install the mods by ckan
apply the manual mods and apart from 1 time that i hade to do that 2 times it works

i only have to Fidel whit mod wen thers a new KSP (1.0->1.1, 1.1->1.2 and the new 1.2->1.3)
moving from 1.1 to 1.2 took me ~4 weeks but i was playing 1.1 until i got 1.2 working correctly
so im in the less then 1% group

I've been spending a lot of time customizing mods using MM configs. It's equally fun and frustrating. At some point I'll get my game just how I want it and play. 

After I've started a playthrough I generally avoid updating mods midstream because I've screwed up saves that way. 

I'm currently running 150+ mods using 64k KSP 1.2.2, 

Once a there is a new version of the release that has been out for 3 - 4 months then I will manually install mods a few at a time. 

This is into a copy of the game, not the steam install directory.

Initial installs are:

• Mechjeb
  • Safe Chutes
  • DMagic orbital science.

I play for a while to make sure everything is ok. 

Then I upgrade my personal mods and play with them for a night.

Then I update my git hub clones of mods that the author has played nice about including all source and recompile and add them in. 

these include. 

• Hooligan Labs Airships (Custom build with auto land / auto-hover)
  • XT Landertrons (Custom code for handling dual mode engines)
  • Gravity Turn

Again I play with these for a night to see if everything is ok. 

After that it's mods that I can't recompile, 

• USI mods  except MKS which I find too complicated 
  • M.O.L.E, Pathfinder and other Wildblue mods, I really like these for early game. 
  • Vanguard personal parachutes
  • Chatterer 

etc. 

Once this is all working ok, I copy the install to another folder and start adding interesting mods that I probably don't use much, every time it is stable I update the base directory and continue playing. 

If I install something that doesn't work or is causing a huge number of exceptions, I will revert back to the previous version that worked. 

The installation of mods takes about 8 - 10 nights, I play with the same build for months on end. 

I spend so little time with mods because I use so few:

• MJ since I hate repeating the manoeuvres over and over again.
  • KER (I prefer KER's readouts).
  • KAC for keeping track of launch windows.
  • EVA Struts for strutting up docked modules on stations.
  • EVA Transfer for refuelling landers with miscalculated fuel.
    (Haven't have to use it after the mishap that made me install the mod).
  • Indicator lights for rescue/docking in darkness.
  • [x]Science or similar so I don't have to track down menus with experiments.

Then some others that come and go if I remember to install/de-install them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.