KSP Challenge: The Mun Arch Speed Challenge!

Darth Badie

Z79Yo3ZXupsLu1kC7rVpQNgcM3GJ93DL_H3Kc3As

Hello everyone,

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: "The Mun Arch Speed Challenge"

How fast can you go through a Mun Arch? What? You don't know where to find a Mun Arch? That's part of the challenge! You have two weeks for this challenge :wink:

Rules:

1. The usual stock parts only, no hyperedit, no alt-F12, and no wheels. Comm-link not required

2. You can start your speed run from the Munar surface or from space.

3. Fly through one of the three Mun Arches as fast as you can!

4. Due to the limitations of the EVA pack, EVA-powered kerbals are expendable. Crafts will be expected to finish the pass climbing for space. No suicide runs except for individual kerbals.

5. No scoring aside from pure speed!

6. Kerbals in command seats count  as crewed craft.

Categories:

A: EVA Kerbal.

B: Uncrewed spacecraft

C: Crewed spacecraft

D: Asteroid (with or without attached craft)

Video entries are preferred. Win10 has a built in game recorder, and there are free screen-recording programs like "OBS" or "Fraps" out there. Also, coub.com hosts looping ten-second videos that would be perfect for this (KSP had a contest there awhile back). We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Thanks to @StrandedonEarth for sharing this idea! We have a special badge for this challenge!

it would be great if the devs added "destructible easter eggs" like the buildings. Then if you failed, you would reduce an ancient, three of a kind and (probably) natural wonder into a cloud dust traveling several kilometers a second. I may or may not enter, i need to find an arch first...

15 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

it would be great if the devs added "destructible easter eggs" like the buildings. Then if you failed, you would reduce an ancient, three of a kind and (probably) natural wonder into a cloud dust traveling several kilometers a second.

Now that I would love to see!!!  :D

43 minutes ago, steuben said:

I've got to find the arches first.

15 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I may or may not enter, i need to find an arch first...

I wish I could help, but I'm afraid of what @Badie would do to me... lol... :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

16 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Just remember; you have the power to save her from the kraken!

*SQUAD releases 1.4*

Changelog: Removed Kraken

Dreams become true... On rare occasions... :P

Wait a minute... we have a total solar eclipse next month... :o:o:o:o:o

Oh my :) So a perfectly timed ejection burn from Eeloo set so several years later the craft flys through an arch at, what - 5km/s? - before re-entry at Kerbin?

Yeah, I think any attempt I make will be a little more explodey than that. f5/f9 are going to get a workout, that's for sure.

33 minutes ago, Badie said:

Well if you save me from the kraken then we are ok hahaha

Oh, bummer... I can't say, it's up to Emiko, and she hasn't told me yet... lmao....

Guess I can't give out the arch locations... lol... :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

So a perfectly timed ejection burn from Eeloo set so several years later the craft flys through an arch at, what - 5km/s? - before re-entry at Kerbin?

I would love to see that!!!!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

28 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

Oh my :) So a perfectly timed ejection burn from Eeloo set so several years later the craft flys through an arch at, what - 5km/s? - before re-entry at Kerbin?

Yeah, I think any attempt I make will be a little more explodey than that. f5/f9 are going to get a workout, that's for sure.

Hahaha if you did that, I think you'd get the automatic win.

1 hour ago, MiniMatt said:

Now that would be impressive, but it would be hard to see the Arch go by at that speed. 

Quick addendum to the rules: kerbals in commmand seats count  as crewed craft. ( @Badie can you add that to the OP please?).

I hope to compile at least some of the entries into a music video after, unless someone better at edit-fu wants to take that on. Any guesses as to the song I plan to use?

Sadly, I've never found a Mun arch. In fact, unless you count the monolith at KSC, I've never found a single anomaly (evidently, you actually have to look for them first :sticktongue:). Can anybody give me an idea of the size we're talkin' about? Asteroid-size sounds like a good yardstick. Class A? Class B? Bigger?

2 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Sadly, I've never found a Mun arch. In fact, unless you count the monolith at KSC, I've never found a single anomaly (evidently, you actually have to look for them first :sticktongue:).

If you don't like to use Kerbnet to search for the anomalies, SCANsat is the way to go. Simply make a biome-map of the mun and you'll find all the anomalies.

10 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Sadly, I've never found a Mun arch. In fact, unless you count the monolith at KSC, I've never found a single anomaly (evidently, you actually have to look for them first :sticktongue:). Can anybody give me an idea of the size we're talkin' about? Asteroid-size sounds like a good yardstick. Class A? Class B? Bigger?

Well, the easy way is using Google... And I think you could fly a Class-E through one...

15 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I've never been to an arch myself, but your question reminded me of the hanging mun arch base. I don't know who constructed it, but it does show  the scale of it.

20 hours ago, Badie said:

<snip>

1. The usual stock parts only, no hyperedit, no alt-F12, and no wheels. Comm-link not required

</snip>

Ah, darn it.

giphy-9.gif

Im still going to try!

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Whoop delayed double post

But I'll use this opportunity to add that it's perfectly okay  to place a flag, kerbal, or ship under the Arch for targeting purposes. Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers Waypoint Manager has been approved. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Any guesses as to the song I plan to use?

I have a vision of Jeb sat cross legged aboard a wheel-less Rovemate chassis, a couple of rocket engines strapped to the back, swooping through the arch, and Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride* playing loud.

* although copyright issues, etc.

25 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

I have a vision of Jeb sat cross legged aboard a wheel-less Rovemate chassis, a couple of rocket engines strapped to the back, swooping through the arch, and Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride* playing loud.

* although copyright issues, etc.

Lol, that would work, but not what I had in mind. I don't  worry much about copyright because I don't plan on monetizing the video. Although I could always ask them for permission 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

7 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

Wait a minute... we have a total solar eclipse next month... :o:o:o:o:o

Yeeeeeeeeeee-- *dies from excitement*

Also, I may try this challenge after I do some more work on IA-Revived...because my Mun base is only a few km away from a Mun Arch. And it was by total accident as well!

6 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

If a Class E can fit, that's pretty much all I need to know.

Yes.

I was curious after reading your post, so I went and did a quick experiment using Emiko asteroid, from my story. Obviously I first made a backup... lol. 

Now, Emiko is a 4000t (aprox.) Class-E, and as far as I have been able to find out, as big as a stock asteroid can get, roughly 100-125m in diameter. So I used Hyperedit to drop it next to an arch, and eyeballing it, you can just about fit two class-E's next to each other at the base, and maybe... maybe one on top of the other to the top of the arch.

So you have room enough to do it, but just.... :wink:

I hope that helps, and I seriously look forward to your attempt!

Edited by Just Jim

9 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.