KSP Challenge: The Mun Arch Speed Challenge!

Darth Badie

Here's a run at the challenge.  I did this kind of the hard way, took forever to find an arch as I had not visited any of them yet in this save.  I learned a lot about scanning for anomalies though.  Did all my launches the hard way, no Hyperedit or cheat menus.

Max speed I could screenshot was 325 m/s.  Certainly won't be the best speed, but it was a lot of fun. 

Ignition!  TWR > 100 :)

ardEcvU.png

Basically just Mohat Kerman in a command chair with a Mammoth and a fuel tank strapped to his back.

2SmYyMG.png

Imgur full album

Spoiler alert!  Warning! 2 of the images in the full album have Kerbnet open, and show the lat/long of one of the Mun arches.  I highly recommend finding your own arch. 

FYI the Mk2 drone core has the highest probability of detecting anomalies, but only a 20 degree field of view.  Unless you are suborbital. Scanners and such are useless, probe cores are mediocre (18% or so).  Orbital height doesn't seem to matter though, was picking up anomalies at 100k orbit just fine.  Lots of warping and refreshing Kerbnet though...

Edited by Jetski

Early Kerbin based testing of the Sports Carpet in preparation for this challenge:

WaaBWoI.png

edit: mun based testing* has revealed an additional need for a pair of massively overpowered vernor thrusters to provide delicate finesse & precision control bone crushingly violent direction adjustment

* repeatedly faceplanting rock at over half a kilometre per second

Edited by MiniMatt

59 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

Oh no I'm still running on 1.0.5 how can I ever find it

(can't remember, was 1.0.5 that about the time the textures got monkeyed around with leading to easter eggs getting buried? - suppose no KerbNet scanning then though either)

Take a safe copy of your 1.0.5 install, allow Steam (or the KSP store, whatever) to update to 1.3, dedicate a save to challenges and run your 1.0.5 save when you wish.

Oh bummer - the Duna one was something I actually could have done, and now you are serving us this beast! :D 

Win10 DVR will not work with KSP it seems, so for any other challenge requesting a video, I will have to find another freeware way (with "snap those last 30 seconds"-option) to record the game.

8 hours ago, Jetski said:

Max speed I could screenshot was 325 m/s.  Certainly won't be the best speed, but it was a lot of fun.

You are currently in first place. :wink:

Edited by KerbMav

@Badie, quick question.

I have a ship already orbiting Kerbin that I'm going to attempt later today... she's all stock, except she has a few of the little colored stock-alike surface lights. They serve no real purpose, other than make it look pretty, so do those matter? Or should I pull them off and launch a new ship?

Looks interesting. Orbital speed is about 800m/s so that should happen fairly soon. Escape velocity is about 1000 or thereabouts (IIRC) so I expect to see that at some point.

It will be interesting to see if the speeds get over 2km/s. That would allow interplanetary transfer from the arch...

Now this is fun, spent an hour messing about and got a 25km/5km orbit that passed within a kilometre of an arch at surface speeds of 570m/s+

Attempts to finesse further have so far resulted in something of a run on band-aid/elastoplast

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

@Badie, quick question.

I have a ship already orbiting Kerbin that I'm going to attempt later today... she's all stock, except she has a few of the little colored stock-alike surface lights. They serve no real purpose, other than make it look pretty, so do those matter? Or should I pull them off and launch a new ship?

My challenge, my rules :cool:. The little lights are fine. I just dont want overpowered mod engines or lightweight tanks skewing things. The reason for no wheels was so people don't make a surface run (although that would present its own challenges) and then hopping off the surface near the Arch

Edited by StrandedonEarth

16 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

My challenge, my rules :cool:. The little lights are fine. I just dont want overpowered mod engines or lightweight tanks skewing things. The reason for no wheels was so people don't make a surface run (although that would present its own challenges) and then hopping off the surface near the Arch

I agree they are totally fine! 

20 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

OK, cool. Thanks!

One more question. I do have HyperEdit installed, and I'd rather not uninstall it and lose all my saved landing locations. Is it OK to keep as long as I don't use it for the challenge? 

50 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, cool. Thanks!

One more question. I do have HyperEdit installed, and I'd rather not uninstall it and lose all my saved landing locations. Is it OK to keep as long as I don't use it for the challenge? 

Now I'm not the boss but while you wait official confirmation my hunch with these challenges is that fun comes first and the guiding principle in rule interpretation is "don't take the liquid". This probably means that when something says stock it means prettification mods are fine, information readouts are probably fine, and the odd purely cosmetic part may be fine. Mods installed but on-your-honour not used are likely also fine - fun comes first and you'd only be cheating yourself etc.

edit: oops - "don't take the liquid" - more colourfully phrased than the swear filter deems prudent - is a euphemism for common sense pragmatism in interpreting the spirit of the rules against the letter of the rules.

Edited by MiniMatt

6 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

Now I'm not the boss but while you wait official confirmation my hunch with these challenges is that fun comes first and the guiding principle in rule interpretation is "don't take the liquid". This probably means that when something says stock it means prettification mods are fine, information readouts are probably fine, and the odd purely cosmetic part may be fine. Mods installed but on-your-honour not used are likely also fine - fun comes first and you'd only be cheating yourself etc.

That's how I look at it. I'm not that interested in competing for absolute fastest... I just want to see if I can do it without exploding... too many times... and have some fun in the process.

Besides, anyone that knows me knows I'd rather do it the hard way, then show off a little... lmao.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

29 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I just want to see if I can do it without exploding... too many times...

Yeah, that's the goal. Not so much the reality so far, but the goal.

30 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

and have some fun in the process.

Exactly.  

Dang. Trying this one... coming at the arch at [redacted] from very low Münar orbit is tricky. It's like trying to thread the eye of a needle... with a 20 ton thread, at high fractional kps, through a rock needle.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK, cool. Thanks!

1 hour ago, MiniMatt said:

Yeah, I'd go with what @MiniMatt said. 

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Yeah, that's the goal. Not so much the reality so far, but the goal.

I'm sure you have lots of red shirts "volunteering"

Edited by StrandedonEarth

23 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Sadly, I've never found a Mun arch.

TIP: orbit the Mun with both Ap and Pe around 7-10KM in an equatorial orbit. If you hover around the Mun, look down, and you will find one.

Just my trick

581.4 :)

Will get a plain video up shortly, an orbital run through is possible - with the more famous arch at any rate, approach northerly on a largely polar orbit. Found it easiest to make a sighting run first with the main delivery craft, get a feel for the normal/anti-normal correction needed at the pole to account for rotation since last orbit, then undock your Sports Carpet and use your delivery craft as a reference point to eyeball corrections from.

This was a *lot* of fun :) Have sped up footage, so if you have a spare 85 seconds, you could spend it at 581.4m/s:

(oh, and @StrandedonEarth - if you want any of the raw footage for your compilation holler & I can chop out a 10 second or so section from the 8 odd gigs of original recordings)

Edited by MiniMatt

OK, I apologize for my last post. I'm using the X-box video thing that came on my computer, and for some reason it only wants to work about half of the time. And only got half of my first video... grrr.... :mad:

This time I got it. :cool:

The ship I'm using is called a Raptor, and I've been using variations of them in Emiko Station since nearly the beginning. This particular one can re-fuel, which makes her really handy. Oh, completely stock except a couple surface mount lights.

HEQa9Ta.png

FqQSE1L.png

I didn't bother refueling for this because she already had more than enough to get back into orbit. Instead I just parked her about 5 km from what I've named Piper's Arch... then tried something like 15-20 times before I nailed it a second time.

Best guess is I'm doing about 330 m/s when it passes under the arch, which is about 1:00 into the video. The rest is just to prove I made it into orbit. And I'm not touching up the video.... or adding music or whatever. After this many tries, I'm happy with what I have... :rolleyes:

Edited by Just Jim

42 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

This was a *lot* of fun :) Have sped up footage, so if you have a spare 85 seconds, you could spend it at 581.4m/s:

(oh, and @StrandedonEarth - if you want any of the raw footage for your compilation holler & I can chop out a 10 second or so section from the 8 odd gigs of original recordings)

From orbit? Nice!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.