KSP Challenge: The Mun Arch Speed Challenge!

Darth Badie

5 minutes ago, invision said:

this took way longer than expected lol

i kept barely missing smashing into the arch itself or right in front and then finally got it WOOT!

I had the same problem! 

This was quite a fun, but challenging... challenge... no pun intended, and a lot harder than I first expected! 

Thanks to both @Badie and @StrandedonEarth for this one! :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

What kind of speed is being taken into account? Speed over terrain, which is the projection of the velocity onto the tangential plane at the Mun arch or instead the velocity itself?

Just asking, 'cause if it's the former, going west might actually give you the edge...

btw, what's that FPS mod you're using there @invision ?

9 minutes ago, something said:

What kind of speed is being taken into account? Speed over terrain, which is the projection of the velocity onto the tangential plane at the Mun arch or instead the velocity itself?

Just asking, 'cause if it's the former, going west might actually give you the edge...

btw, what's that FPS mod you're using there @invision ?

MSI after burner over clocking utilty for my video card, tho you dont need to use the overclock feature it also controls fan speeds and give GPU FPS readout on every game. 

heres a cleaner shot of the info

temp of GPU - fan speed - FPS

D9A315A40EE3324D36318A43502F44BD33C3A6FC

Edited by invision

3 minutes ago, something said:

That was one thing I meant to mention before. I keep thinking of great things I need to post for this challenge while I'm working, but when I get to sit down at my laptop my mind goes blank.

The speed reading is taken from the navball, which should be set to surface or target mode, assuming the target is something marking the location of the Arch. 

10 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The speed reading is taken from the navball, which should be set to surface or target mode, assuming the target is something marking the location of the Arch. 

I had to go check, I really wasn't sure myself. My speed is from surface mode, although I did have a flag planted under the arch to target (Hint: BIG help!!! :wink:)

@Jetski @Just Jim @MiniMatt Great Job Guys! 

@invision One Point twenty-one km/s!! There should be a Doc Brown award for that one!

@Red Shirt Keep Trying! The Arches are going to be buried in drifts of everybody's smashed metal before this challenge is done!

I know this sort of thing can be tough, the F9 key sure gets a workout! I haven't taken my own crack at this challenge yet, but I did do some Target Practice on Ike! (in case you didn't see it in my sig). I guess this one will be harder because I'm not supposed to crash, and orbital speed is higher.

I've had no trouble using the Win10 (XBox app) Game DVR to record KSP. Before that I used Fraps. It'd be interesting to know what people are using to capture their speed runs.

Oh, and feel free to try with more than one category!

The national park programs would be fainting in terror when they saw this challenge if they hadn't been defunded to pay for Jeb's 17439th rescue mission.

I did this a while back when I had a lunar module that I jettisoned before the Kerbin injection, and it had tons of delva-v left, so I flew it through an arch after deorbiting! I could probably get >1 km/s with my basic LM design if I did things right. And the best part is, I already found all the arches!

Note to self: stock up on replacement F9 keys.

55 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

@Jetski @Just Jim @MiniMatt Great Job Guys! 

Thanks!

I've had no trouble using the Win10 (XBox app) Game DVR to record KSP. Before that I used Fraps. It'd be interesting to know what people are using to capture their speed runs.

Most of the time mine runs fine, but every now and then it cuts out.

Or could be, (most likely now that I think about it) the first video I tried to make I was banging the keyboard so fast I may have hit the wrong key and accidentally stopped the recording halfway thru...  :rolleyes:

Oh, and feel free to try with more than one category!

Maybe... IDK.... I'm happy to have done it just once successfully!

Edited by Just Jim

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

I hope to compile at least some of the entries into a music video after, unless someone better at edit-fu wants to take that on. Any guesses as to the song I plan to use?

Probably clichéd as hell, but any thoughts on the Top Gun theme as an intro leading into Danger Zone? First thing that came to mind. There may be something else more appropriate, though...

I DID IT!!! :cool: 851.8 m/s right under a Mun Arch! I basically just launched the mission as if dropping of a polar surveyor, then kept making fine adjustments to my orbit until the timing was just right. MANY MISTAKES WERE MADE!

Standby for an even faster run!

Edited by TheLionsBite
Removed video because I CAN DO BETTER!

Here is my entry.  679 m/s with a simple mk1 capsule.  The hardest part for me was planting the flag at the bottom of the arch.  Val had a mishap when her ship tipped over on landing.   Couldn't get it off the ground without explosions all around.

I don't have the software to record video or the bandwidth to upload it if I did. Sorry. I wasn't going for speed. I just wanted to prove to myself I could do it. 

Lining up for my run. 

3FBH2UT.jpg

We're coming in too low! Climb! Climb!

FQus8ys.jpg

O look, I think we might just do it THIS time!

PDKMmCz.jpg

Like a Rock Star! A rare feeling for the Red Shirt team. Look at that speed! Slow down Jeb, you're flying like a bat out of Hades!

piL8cXN.jpg

O crap, who put that crater ridge there? Climb!

A0ISjJt.jpg

Whew, made it! Heading for home.... Anyone remember the parachute?

i1S00U3.jpg

27 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

Can anyone recommend some video editing software for Windows? I've recorded my entry, but I can't find any programs to edit it with.

I use the Windows movie-maker... but I'm using Windows 10, and had to download it from the Windows website

4 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

Can anyone recommend some video editing software for Windows? I've recorded my entry, but I can't find any programs to edit it with.

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I use the Windows movie-maker... but I'm using Windows 10, and had to download it from the Windows website

Same, though I'm still on Win7 and I think it's a default install on that. It's basic but nothing like as basic as my video editing skill.

I did it! AGAIN! And OMG the performance this time almost merits an apology for the last attempt! @StrandedonEarth, take a ride with me and you'll have to call yourself "StrandedNowhere," because that rocket isn't coming back, my friend! :cool:

Same setup as my first attempt, only from a much more eccentric orbit and equipped with the kind of over-confidence only Jeb himself knows!

*Pushes F9 key while here, just once, for spite* ;P Good luck beating 2313 m/s!
@Skystorm NICE!!! I see I'm not the only one sending my kerbals interstellar! 

9 hours ago, Just Jim said:

5 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

Same, though I'm still on Win7 and I think it's a default install on that. It's basic but nothing like as basic as my video editing skill.

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I managed to get it working on my Win7 machine in the end.

And I was up until 3 A.M. trying to polish the video. WORTH IT! 

350 m/s through the arch.

Edited by Mjp1050
YouTube

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.