KSP Challenge: The Mun Arch Speed Challenge!

Darth Badie

On 2017/7/29 at 2:37 PM, seiryu said:

Is it OK to use landing gear on this challenge?

If it's not OK, I'll just use British Panjandrum.

On 2017/7/26 at 8:50 AM, Badie said:

1. The usual stock parts only, no hyperedit, no alt-F12, and no wheels. Comm-link not required

no wheels なのでタイヤは駄目みたいですが、LT-1~LT-5のランディングギアはokっぽいですね

最近アポロとか見に行ってなかったのでロケハンするだけでハァハァですわw

<GOOGLE TRANSLATION INSERTED BY CHEEKY MODERATOR> It seems that the tires are useless as it is no wheels, but the landing gears of LT-1 to LT-5 are like ok

I recently did not go to see Apollo or something recently just hanging out w ha w w

thanks translate Deddly.

Edited by Dervarre
Please translate to English, thanks :)

Given my gaming skill set, the realization that Elon Musk will never allow me near even so much as his golf cart has set in. Aliens will never land and request I be their last starfighter. Further I lack the ability to reprogram the game to win against impossible odds as one James Tiberius did at Star Fleet Academy. But I have come up with a way to achieve the seeming impossible. I will go down in the record book as having the fastest EVA Kerbal in this challenge - because no one has done it yet. Until someone (anyone) else tries it Jendine Kerman holds the record. It will be a glorious 5 minutes!

Sizing up the challenge:

9vOxJC2.jpg

Threading the arch at a blistering 68.4 m/s. Woot!

QbItKCT.jpg

Jendine stands on the crater rim looking back at her accomplishment and remembers her predecessor, Trauki who was turned to dust when she collided with the arch head on.  

CUMqGTg.jpg 

Score one for team Red Shirt! I accept your applause for all the expendables in the world, of which I am but one.

@TheLionsBite A superb performance and sooner than I expected.  However, I think you can do better, and what kind of friend would I be if I let you rest on your laurels?  So with the extra fuel I had I figured I'd get a longer run at the arch starting from a hyperbolic trajectory and see what this little ship could do.

So here it is: your next challenge!  Can you beat a speed of 3,552 m/s through the arch?

I'll be waiting for you in the Helius Cluster!

45 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

I would have been disappointed if you hadn't tried. About an hour, but I held the record for one hour! Celebrate Good Times!

You have a few days to beat it... :wink:

Hint: I started from about 5km away, and had just about enough fuel left to come to a stop before running out.

And then my twins: Gem and Theo come barreling up in a Chariot rover...

gZkJQmT.png

"But wait, Rovers aren't allowed..." Theo argued.

"I know," Gem replied... "We're taking the Doodlebug!"

(This one is just for fun)

Edited by Just Jim

I thought I'd share some details of the ship I used in the videos if anyone was interested.  The final stage was kept very simple, small, and light using only five (5) components.  The exceptional lunar TWR allows it to reach high speeds with a shorter run up to the Mun arch.

HbDyX5u.png1  Mk1 Lander Can
1  FL-T400 Fuel Tank
2  SP-W 3x2 Photovoltaic Panels
1  LV-909 "Terrier" Liquid Fuel Engine

This little thing packs 2,919 m/s of deltaV, 60kN of thrust, a lunar TWR ranging from 10.65 (full) to 25.23 (empty), an Isp of 345s, and weighs in at only 1,460kg empty.  It can carry 2 tons of fuel.

A second fuel tank, this time a FL-T800, and another LV-909 served both as the transfer stage and to put the ship into the approach trajectory before the final run.  The transfer stage was jettisoned just before the start of the videos.

7 minutes ago, luizopiloto said:

Well... Not the fastest one... But the most stylish one for sure... Probably... :P

OK, have some rep for making laugh out loud!!!  That was great!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

10 hours ago, Skystorm said:

I thought I'd share some details of the ship I used in the videos if anyone was interested.  The final stage was kept very simple, small, and light using only five (5) components.  The exceptional lunar TWR allows it to reach high speeds with a shorter run up to the Mun arch.

HbDyX5u.png1  Mk1 Lander Can
1  FL-T400 Fuel Tank
2  SP-W 3x2 Photovoltaic Panels
1  LV-909 "Terrier" Liquid Fuel Engine

This little thing packs 2,919 m/s of deltaV, 60kN of thrust, a lunar TWR ranging from 10.65 (full) to 25.23 (empty), an Isp of 345s, and weighs in at only 1,460kg empty.  It can carry 2 tons of fuel.

A second fuel tank, this time a FL-T800, and another LV-909 served both as the transfer stage and to put the ship into the approach trajectory before the final run.  The transfer stage was jettisoned just before the start of the videos.

Yes, yes, I realize I may have redefined the term "over-engineered" with Jeb's sweet swisher rocket, but I'm more interested in knowing how to set up the burn from such an eccentric orbit and still maintaining that pinpoint accuracy of yours. Excellent run by the way! +3.5 Km/s?!?! I don't think I'd have the reaction time to beat that... I can get faster than you (faster still if I launched/transferred from Kerbin more efficiently) before flame-out, but I almost always overshoot the target. How do you time it out and how do you know you're on target so long before you can even see the target indicator?

So here's the basic L.I.O.N. 10-steps to Arch-storming guide for beginners:

1. Build an enormous, over-powered, multi-stage rocket to Mun. Check!
2. Send said rocket to Mun and merely "scrape" the sphere of influence for an insertion burn for the extremely high polar orbit at Mun. Check!
3. Forget to quicksave and start all over. Check!
4. Set a course correction burn dangerously close to impacting target at periapsis. Check!
5. Ensure you have on brown pants and no shortage of snacks. Check!
6. Execute course correction burn and wait for sight on target . Check!
7. Shed all excess weight (who needs navigation and life-support equipment?!), point prograde relative to target and open 'er up-- full throttle. CHEEEEEEEEEEECK~!
8. PRAY TO THE KRAKEN. Check. Check. Check. Check.
9a. PUNCH F9 in the face and hold it down for ruining your perfect crash. Return to step 4. (Check! x 10666)/rage-fits
9b. Remember you're not actually Scott Manley, and shamelessly name a Mun arch after yourself when you swish it from orbit at Plaid Speed! Check! 
10. Boast to everyone on the forums how you're the best at Arch-storming so you can feel properly one-upped when the pros show up and do it better with what seems to be less than half of your effort. *Sigh* :/ Check...

I didn't want to add number ten, but alas, it is an obligatory step of this kind of program. Besides... I want my shiny new forum badge because it's my 1st-ever shiny new forum badge. :cool: Hopefully I'll still see my name high on the speed leaderboard anyway, but I think I've had enough fun killing kerbals with this challenge.

It's on my laurels I rest, @Skystorm. I really just wanted to see if I could beat 2km/s and escape Kerbin.
Maybe when/if a Tylo Cave Speedrun ever happens, we shall meet again! <-- @Badie, also a wink-wink, hint-hint! :wink:

I had a blast, but I don't even want to look at Mun without atmosphere between us right now! LOL! I haven't reverted this much since I started playing.

Edit: @luizopiloto Can I please have your kerbal gun-cannon-shooter-thingy KerbalX link? I solemnly swear I'm up to no good! :D

Edited by Dark Lion
Adding a nearly-forgotten, yet reasonable request.

10 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

Well... Not the fastest one... But probably the most stylish one... :P

10 hours ago, seiryu said:

Ok, here is my one. I think it's fastest one in this time.

These are great, but @StrandedonEarth and @Badie... do you think we should add a 5th category for cannon launched ships? 

3 hours ago, Wisteria said:

I Take part in asteroid category

through at 406.3m/s

I was hoping someone would do an asteroid! :)

5 minutes ago, Marschig said:

Category B: Uncrewed spacecraft, 4280.9 m/s

Were those sepratrons firing at the end? Great idea to use them to boost the speed at the last second!!!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, Marschig said:

In less than one second?

Yes! It's about 1100G

It's too fast that my recording soft can't record the scene.

It was 60fps so cannon Projectile through the Arch in less than 0.016second.

Edited by seiryu

36 minutes ago, seiryu said:

Yes! It's about 1100G

I'm out of likes for today, but outstanding! :)

1 hour ago, seiryu said:

Yes! It's about 1100G

ALL HAIL THE KRAKEN DRIVE!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.