KSP Challenge: The Mun Arch Speed Challenge!

Darth Badie

21 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

hahahahahahahahaha. All I know of Star Trek is "KAAAAAHHHHHNNNNN!!" (Yeah, I've only watched one movie... sowwy :()

You could have picked worse, it is one of the best, if not the best.

1 hour ago, Badie said:

You have one more week to submit your entries! :wink:

I may still take a shot at doing it from orbit later, just to see if I can do it. But right now the weather here is garbage, and I'm reduced to chiming in from my phone.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I may still take a shot at doing it from orbit later, just to see if I can do it. But right now the weather here is garbage, and I'm reduced to chiming in from my phone.

It's actually fairly easy to hit that one with an unpowered orbit, since when you're 1-10 minutes out you can save, make pass, load, nudge, save, make pass, load, nudge, save, make pass, repeat excessively. I use "Dated Quicksaves" by @magico13 (available on CKAN) to make it easier to choose which save to load. I coouuuulllld spoilerize my orbital parameters on my free-flying orbit pass if anyone really wants me to...

Doing it powered from orbit (or ground!) is tougher, but now that I think about if I can dump most of my dV into the soon-to-be-hyperbolic orbit early enough and accurately enough, then I maybe I can have time for the load-nudge-save routine. IF the orbital mechanics let me have that much time when I'm at 4+km/s

Now here's a question: Do I get a higher Pe velocity burning high in the orbit or lower?

Letting it orbit through does get a bit nail-biting though, because it looks like you're going to miss (or collide!) right up until you finally get there, as the Arch finally rotates into your path.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

6 minutes ago, illectro said:

Gonna just say - mad props to you all for pushing the limits here, I had fun without seriously trying but now I see I really should have worked harder to be even in the same league as some of these.

Well, if I wasn't on holidays I certainly wouldn't be putting as much time into it, let alone trying to maximize my velocity with a hyperbolic orbit.

And... I give up on orbital... for now. Wow, that's not easy.

So this instead... which I also haven't done yet... hehehe  :cool:

From the surface, in a manned ship, hauling a small Gold Magic Boulder... :cool:

If you freeze it just right, Val was only 20.8 meters above the flag as she passed over it, and probably singed it good!  Speed 385 m/s... 

Edited by Just Jim

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Nice! That was a real worm-burner

yeah... poor toasted Mun-worms... lmao.... :D

I'll be honest, I didn't think I would clear it, so when it did, I got her into orbit quick as I could so I could shut the game down and check the video to see if it showed just how close it actually was. And I was pretty blown away when I did... 

Edited by Just Jim

8 hours ago, invision said:

<snipped>

Awesome!!! I love that he (you???) showed some of the failed attempts... makes me wish I had saved some of mine, just to add on to the video for laughs.

Edited by Just Jim

6 hours ago, invision said:

-snip-

Feeling quite inspired by Scott Manley's landing beneath the arch as a marker, because it highly resembles most of my attempts.... I tried again this morning to thread the arch. Yeah, not looking good. By the time I get a 90d inclination orbit, the arch has passed way beyond my orbit path. Fast forward, now its dark. I stink at this, and you guys are amazing.

48 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Feeling quite inspired by Scott Manley's landing beneath the arch as a marker, because it highly resembles most of my attempts.... I tried again this morning to thread the arch. Yeah, not looking good. By the time I get a 90d inclination orbit, the arch has passed way beyond my orbit path. Fast forward, now its dark. I stink at this, and you guys are amazing.

Adjust your timing of the 90d burn, so your orbit crosses well ahead of the arch. If it's not close enough, reload, adjust, and try again. You could also just warp until the Arch comes around again. The "Trajectories" mod by Youen and Kobymaru et al can also show where your ground track will be, to take the guesswork out of setting your orbit so the Arch rotates into your path. I've used that mod in the past but not for this challenge.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:36 AM, Red Shirt said:

In best Scottie impression: "We just can't do it Cap'n! We don't have the POWER!"

In trying to find a more efficient run-up to final approach burn, I realized a huge flaw in my previous design: deltaV shortage. I got to work at once.
The results were nothing short (or more) than explosive. :rolleyes:

There's going to be at least one more successful post. The KSP time-suck known as RL kept getting in the way, but I finally got it done last night. It took some time to find the arches and set up my run, but it worked and I'm pretty happy about it. :cool:

So the tough part is over, but now I've gotta put a good video together (which might be even tougher). Saw @Just Jim's earlier post about Windows Movie Maker, so I downloaded it. Now I've just gotta figure out how to use it. Hope to get it ready this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Has anyone tried taking the same ship through more than one arch?

That's funny, cuz I actually did think about it. Unfortunately, with the ship I used, I don't think I could dip down into the crater for the second one. And I definitely wouldn't make it back out. Still like the idea, though. Don't think it's been done.

4 minutes ago, Jetski said:

There are 3 arches...perhaps the flight could end in the crater :)

If I tried it, mine would definitely end in the crater.

Three arches? It took me forever to find two of them. I kept finding monoliths. Even found the green one. Which would've been cool if I wasn't looking for arches instead. By that time, I was getting frustrated. Learned a lot about Kerbnet, though. Spent the entire first day looking for anomalies before I realized they won't show up on the scanner with Commnet shut off. I was not amused.

Just now, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

If I tried it, mine would definitely end in the crater.

Three arches? It took me forever to find two of them. I kept finding monoliths. Even found the green one. Which would've been cool if I wasn't looking for arches instead. By that time, I was getting frustrated. Learned a lot about Kerbnet, though. Spent the entire first day looking for anomalies before I realized they won't show up on the scanner with Commnet shut off. I was not amused.

If you take the Mk2 probe core and plenty of fuel, you can burn to a suborbital trajectory, which increases the scanning field to 130 degrees with very high probability of detection.  Scan a massive swath of the Mun, adjust burn back into orbit, repeat.  Drop a waypoint every time a ? pops up, and explore them at your leisure.  I also found many Munoliths :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.