[1.9.x] PAWS - Part Action Window Sorter-Outer 2.0 (19/02/2020)

severedsolo

Does right clicking your parts and seeing this make you cry?

h4I1JPo.jpg

Would you rather it looked like this?

tgIvw0j.jpg

Then PAWS may be the mod for you!

What does it do?

PAWS will add a right-click option to every part labelled "Customise PAW" - click it and you'll get a window which will allow you remove or add entries to the PAW at will. (Flight Scene only, Editor options are unaffected, as I feel like these are mainly useful).

Options:

• Advanced Mode - there are ALOT of entries hidden in the PAW and most of them don't do anything. By default PAWS will hide entries that are not active, and you haven't interacted with them using PAWS before (so if you turn something off, you can turn it back on again) - if you turn Advanced Mode on, PAWS will stop holding your hand, and show you everything (be warned, most of these don't actually do anything or are pointless, which is why they are hidden by default).
  • Show Fields - This shows you all the stuff that isn't a "blue button" in the PAW. Just find the entry you want, and click the handy "Toggle" button underneath it.
  • Show Events - This shows you everything that is a "blue button" in the PAW. Just find the entry you want, and click the handy "Toggle" button underneath it. - PAWS will not let you turn it's own event off (for obvious reasons).
  • Save Settings Globally - With this on, PAWS will remember your selections and the next time a part loads, stuff you've already turned off/on will automatically change to whatever you set it to previously (be warned, this affects all parts, so if you want to hide Reaction Wheels on one part, but not another, you should probably turn this off before clicking that button).
  • NEW!!! - Adds the ability to input slider values manually using a text input box, rather than having to fiddle with the sliders.

Known Issues

• [not a bug] Clicking the toggle button on an inactive option does not always mean that option will appear in the PAW. This is usually because the event is not actually active, or KSP turns it off again. This is mostly on Advanced Mode.
  • If you turn "Save Settings Globally" off KSP will not remember your settings for next time you reload that part and you'll have to turn them all off/on again. Per-part options will be coming later.

Dependency

Requires Module Manager by sarbian

License: MIT

Download: Github

Source: Github

Special mention to Snark - your little rant on the BetterBurnTime thread gave me the inspiration.

Usually at this point I would say "hey feel free to donate but don't expect it to directly go towards my modding" - but my modding PC has completely died, which means any donations received will go directly towards replacing it at this point in time.

Donate to my coffee fund

downloads_wordmark_navy@2x.png

Edited by severedsolo

until now I was using Part Commander cause it can size windows so I could only see that one field I needed. This is way better. Great stuff!

Crashes out v1.2.2 tho :( well, very close to being able to play in v1.3 now...

Edited by Drew Kerman

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

until now I was using Part Commander cause it can size windows so I could only see that one field I needed. This is way better. Great stuff!

Crashes out v1.2.2 tho :( well, very close to being able to play in v1.3 now...

I think I have an old copy of 1.2.2 lying around, I'll see if I can make it compile tonight

So apparently when my Github freaked out yesterday as I was publishing the repository, somehow it ended up losing a couple of commits so saving wasn't working.

So:

PAWS 1.1 Released:

• Fixed issue where selections weren't always being saved.
  • Toggle buttons will now indicate whether you are toggling them on or off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

Still works fine in 1.3.1. But I have a request. Is it possible to add it to the EVA menu as well?

I'm surprised it doesn't actually, I just targeted every part, and EVA is just a part I thought? I'll look into it

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

I'm surprised it doesn't actually, I just targeted every part, and EVA is just a part I thought? I'll look into it

Sorry, I didn't explain the problem correctly. The Paw menu works fine in EVA if I right click the Kerbal. But it doesn't appear when I right click another object, while in EVA. I was trying to get rid of the "Disassemble Part" menu entry that appears on every object due to the MKS mod. That one only appears during EVA.

And call me crazy, but I'd rather we had this menu in the VAB as well. For example the kOS mod adds a "Rename item" entry to all parts. 

Actually wait, that would just replace the single kOS entry with the "Customize PAW" entry. Can you add a toolbar button (blizzy as well preferably) that when pressed (toggle) will show the "Customize PAW" entry? That would make the mod absolutely perfect (until you manage to do the "per part" thing, hehe). 

Edited by karamazovnew

40 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

Sorry, I didn't explain the problem correctly. The Paw menu works fine in EVA if I right click the Kerbal. But it doesn't appear when I right click another object, while in EVA. I was trying to get rid of the "Disassemble Part" menu entry that appears on every object due to the MKS mod. That one only appears during EVA.

Oh yeah thats easily doable. Raised #1

42 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

And call me crazy, but I'd rather we had this menu in the VAB as well. For example the kOS mod adds a "Rename item" entry to all parts. 

Yup also easily done. Raised #2

42 minutes ago, karamazovnew said:

Can you add a toolbar button (blizzy as well preferably) that when pressed (toggle) will show the "Customize PAW" entry?

Not unless you want your toolbar overwhelmed by buttons for every single part on your vessel. It attaches itself to every part, and I wouldn't know which part you were targeting from a toolbar button.

Awesome.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Not unless you want your toolbar overwhelmed by buttons for every single part on your vessel. It attaches itself to every part, and I wouldn't know which part you were targeting from a toolbar button.

Wait, are we talking about the same thing? I just want a button that disables the "Customize PAW" entry from all parts (disables the module). Something sort of similar to this:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149686-13-alshains-modlets-electric-lights-localizer-helper-advanced-tweakables-button-bulb/

But I am guessing that's not possible, is it?

What about a different route... What if by pressing a toolbar button, you enter a special mode, similar to what KIS does when you hold the G key. As you know, in that mode, when you mouse over a part, it shows some info. When you click it, it does something to that part (disconnects it in this case). So instead of using a module added to all parts just to be able to select the part, you would:

- make the module invisible in the menu. You'd still have it for each part, to be able to store your information, it just won't appear in the right click menu anymore. 

- instead of the  "Customize PAW" entry, you press a toolbar button that now requires you to select a part. Pressing the button again would disable this mode. The KIS source should give you some inspiration. There were also other mods that used this feature, I think.. Crew Manifest? I could be wrong. 

- when you mouse-over the part, it can show you some information "No PAW items hidden" in green, "Some PAW items are hidden" in red would probably be the most useful and you'd be able to see at a glance while mousing over the craft.

- when you click a part, the select mode stops and the PAW window is shown. It should already know which part it refers to, because you've given it that info through the click code. You can then proceed to enable or disable the needed entries as it's currently done. 

Having the mode as external would probably help you to save the data "per part". 

Anyway, I'm just suggesting. This mod has already saved me a lot of screen space and I wouldn't be here If i didn't like it :wink: Kudos and good luck.

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I know of a few methods that could accomplish this setup, if it were something you were interested in (a single app-launcher button that would enable/disable the PAW 'customize' button for all parts).

So the user would click the PAWS app-launcher button to enable it, the 'Customize PAW' button would then show up in the PAW for the parts.  User clicks the PAWS app-launcher button a 2nd time, and the 'Customize PAW' button would no longer show up on individual parts.

Requires setting up a KSPAddon to manage the single button (its a MonoBehavior that doesn't need to be attached to a part), and a bit of linking code to have your PartModule register itself with the KSPAddon (so that when the button is toggled, it can go through all of the 'registered' parts to update their 'guiActive / guiEditorActive' flags on the 'Customize PAW' button).

Please send me a PM if interested in details / wanting help with implementation.

BTW -- Just saw this mod and though -- 'wow, just what I need for my super-complex parts in SSTU'.  Excellent addition to cleanup otherwise too-long-to-use PAWs :)

11 hours ago, karamazovnew said:

But I am guessing that's not possible, is it?

Oh it's possible (and tbh alot easier to implement than your second solution), and yeah I think I misunderstood what you were asking the first time. I'm not going to do it though, mainly because I wouldn't use it, and that's my entire reason for modding, I write stuff that I want.

Your first two suggestions seemed like a no-brainer to me, I didn't even realise I hadn't turned it on for external EVA, and I was on the fence about adding to the VAB, and it's literally two lines of code (not even that really, more like slightly modifying two existing lines of code).

The toolbar suggestion isn't difficult but it is more work, and it's just work that I don't particularly want to do, and my time is limited.

Ok, roger on that. By the way, I just realized how useful this mode can really be when I enabled Semisaturable Wheels's values directly in the menu (previously you had to click twice on his buttons to display them in a different interface), then disabled the button itself. Absolutely awesome.

• 4 months later...

PSA:

14 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We are excited for the 1.4 release and look forward to the launch of the Making History Expansion next week. For our mod creators, please note an additional update 1.4.1 will come alongside that release and will need to be integrated as well.

None of my mods will be updated for 1.4, I will wait for the 1.4.1 release next week. At this point of time I don't know if any of them work and no support will be offered to users running 1.4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heads up - updates and support are going to be slow for the forseeable future:

A moment of silence please. My venerable old desktop has finally died. The indications are that it's a critical hardware failure (I'm suspecting motherboard, but it might be the CPU too - it's definitely something critical anyway). Sadly this machine is a second generation i5 so the chances of getting a replacement component are next to zero. Which means I need to build a new PC, but don't have the money right now (and likely won't until September). RIP old friend, you've been a very faithful companion.

For users of my mods: this means that updates are going to be a bit sparse going forward until I can scrape the money together to replace it.

I have a machine I can use as a backup, but it's my wifes main computer, which means I probably won't be able to get on it that much (she's a writer). My other alternative is a very slow netbook that definitely won't play KSP.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

has anyone else tried this on v1.5.1? I'm getting mixed results. Seemed to work okay at first, but now I don't seem to be able to show/hide any buttons, just text fields.

It probably needs a recompile. PAWS is next on my list to update to 1.5.x (hopefully will be done today/tomorrow)

On 11/27/2018 at 12:46 AM, Drew Kerman said:

has anyone else tried this on v1.5.1? I'm getting mixed results. Seemed to work okay at first, but now I don't seem to be able to show/hide any buttons, just text fields.

Seems to be a bit more broken than I thought it was - it may take a bit longer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.