[1.9.x] PAWS - Part Action Window Sorter-Outer 2.0 (19/02/2020)

severedsolo

49 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Seems to be a bit more broken than I thought it was - it may take a bit longer.

Thanks for the update. No worries, I have been able to get it to work again, at least enough that its usable for what I need so I can limp along until you release the new version

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is probably one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make, but it’s time to face the truth.

Regular followers will probably have noticed that I’ve been a bit less communicative recently, and when I do reply, the replies can be a bit curt.

I mod for myself, and the truth is that I really haven’t played KSP since 1.4.x came out (even then it was becoming less and less). This means that I just don’t have the motivation to bring stuff up to date, or address issues, and quite frankly it’s showing.

Every time I load up the forums, or get an email on one of my threads with a bug, I groan to myself. This is not a reflection on you guys, you are all almost exclusively a very nice bunch of people who are very helpful in helping me track down issues, and the rare one or two who haven’t been have usually been put off by my generally grumpy attitude to those kind of requests, so don’t tend to stick around. The problem is with me, I just don’t want to do this any more, and that’s not fair on you guys, who need someone who will actually dedicate themselves to it.

With that, it’s time for me to announce my retirement from modding. I don’t plan to just disappear, I’ll still be around, and I plan to get all the mods to a point where someone else could take them over easily (at the very least they will be getting a 1.7 update), and I’ll try and resolve any outstanding issues on Github before I call it a day. I still want to be a part of the community, I just don’t want to mod.

I believe everything is licensed MIT, but for anything that isn’t, it will be changed over to make any handover as smooth as possible. If anyone is interested in adopting any of my mods, please let me know.

I’d like to thank every one of you for your support and encouragement over the years, I’d like to thank the amazing modding community for all their help, especially the guys on Discord (you know who you are) and just generally everyone on this forum for being awesome.

The fact that somebody like me, who started with literally zero programming experience can become one of the big names in modding (well, I like to think I am anyway) simply by teaching myself and following other modders examples, is testament to how helpful this entire community can be.

If your just interested in my retirement, you can stop reading here. If you’d like to know what I’ll be doing next, check the spoiler (it's in no way KSP related just FYI).

Spoiler

I’ve mentioned several times that I have an autistic daughter. One of the things that REALLY bugs me, is that there are very few apps that allow you to use PECS* in a helpful way, especially when children are first learning it. To start with, children don’t understand symbols, you use photographs instead, but the apps almost exclusively have symbols and nothing else.

So, what I want to do, is use the programming skills that I have learnt here, to develop an app that will allow parents of autistic children to take pictures of objects, record their parents voice saying what that object is, and then when the child pushes the photo on the app, it will say the word.

*For those who don’t know, PECS stands for “Picture Exchange Communication System” - basically for non-verbal autistic people it gives them a voice, they can communicate what they want / how they are feeling by handing you a picture/symbol of that thing/emotion etc.

thanks for all the fish. With the latest v1.7 having scrollable PAWs this mod may seem a bit less useful but it still finds relevancy in just basic decluttering of the PAW and letting you see only the things you want to see for overall better usability. Personally I leave a lot of PAWs pinned when I record missions to have more data to consult afterwards so smaller PAWs means I can fit more on the screen. Once it's ready to be handed over hopefully @linuxgurugamer can continue to just keep it current with future KSP releases

16 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I’ve mentioned several times that I have an autistic daughter. One of the things that REALLY bugs me, is that there are very few apps that allow you to use PECS* in a helpful way, especially when children are first learning it. To start with, children don’t understand symbols, you use photographs instead, but the apps almost exclusively have symbols and nothing else.

So, what I want to do, is use the programming skills that I have learnt here, to develop an app that will allow parents of autistic children to take pictures of objects, record their parents voice saying what that object is, and then when the child pushes the photo on the app, it will say the word.

*For those who don’t know, PECS stands for “Picture Exchange Communication System” - basically for non-verbal autistic people it gives them a voice, they can communicate what they want / how they are feeling by handing you a picture/symbol of that thing/emotion etc.

Absolutely amazing thing to do, please keep us updated with your progress.

• 1 month later...

PAWS 1.2 Released

• Recompile against KSP 1.7.2
  • Fix bug where opening more than one PAWS window will cause both windows to bug out.
  • Added support for Kerbal Changelog
  • Added new button to PAW which allows you to input Slider values manually, rather than having to fiddle with sliders. As I always say, sliders suck.
  • PAWS menu is now accessible on unfocused vessels. (2 years after it was first requested. No, I definitely didn't forget. It's just really difficult changing one instance of false to true.)

Also, here's a video demonstation of how the new slider input stuff works.

Spoiler

Edited by severedsolo

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, infinite_monkey said:

CKAN thinks the max KSP version is 1.7.9...

@severedsolo yeah... I'm getting the same warning from KSP-AVC, for manually installing ;)

Looking at the .version file, it looks like just a simple matter of *someone* forgetting to update the KSP VERSIONs :P ...sounds like something *I* would do ... lol

Edited by Stone Blue

On 3/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, Stone Blue said:

@severedsolo yeah... I'm getting the same warning from KSP-AVC, for manually installing ;)

On 3/4/2020 at 8:05 AM, Jiraiyah said:

Yah I never saw the version for 1.8.1 too (in CKAN)

On 2/29/2020 at 6:38 PM, infinite_monkey said:

CKAN thinks the max KSP version is 1.7.9...

Welp, I'm an idiot. And I broke the version CKAN downloads for 1.7.3 too. Nobody has complained, so I'm going to guess that nobody who uses this is still on 1.7.3 but just in case.

PAWS 2.0.0.1 + 2.0.0.2 Released

2.0.0.1 backports all changes to KSP 1.7.3 (but is compiled for .Net 3.5 / KSP 1.7.3 so your game won't freak out) so CKAN users still on 1.7.3 don't get a broken version

2.0.0.2 fixes the version file and correctly marks itself as 1.9 compatible (no need to update if you already downloaded, this is just to fix the CKAN stuff)

On 3/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, Stone Blue said:

Looking at the .version file, it looks like just a simple matter of *someone* forgetting to update the KSP VERSIONs

Technically, it was the release script that forgot. Let's just ignore the fact that I forgot to actually set the script up on this mod, and blame the computer. Bad computer.

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Let's just ignore the fact that I forgot to actually set the script up on this mod, and blame the computer. Bad computer.

Computers are annoying things.  Never doing what you want, only what you told them.  :D 

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, Caerfinon said:

Just discovered this... What a godsend, my GUI is much improved now.

Yeah... I cant believe this isnt moar popular/well-known... It immediately became a Must Have Mod, when it first came out, in all my installs.
I cant play without it

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, ZaeRoe said:

unfortunately it doesn't seem to work anymore. is there any alternative to this mod?

KSP Community Fixes is the closest alternative that I know to this mod

5 hours ago, ZaeRoe said:

unfortunately it doesn't seem to work anymore. is there any alternative to this mod?

What exactly *doesnt* work with it? I'm getting no issues loading the game, nor any messages RE: PAWS, in *any* of the several logs that get created each game start, for me

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

What exactly *doesnt* work with it? I'm getting no issues loading the game, nor any messages RE: PAWS, in *any* of the several logs that get created each game start, for me

when I click on the buttons in the menu nothing changes. right-click menu just stays the same. some  things are not even shown in the list of PAWS but that's likely an incompatibility between mods

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@ZaeRoe you wouldnt happen to have KSP Community Fixes also installed, would you?

not yet. I'm just trying it out. since my install is heavily modded it may take a while to start up to try it. or do you recommend NOT to?

Edited by ZaeRoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.