Mod Install Questions (RESOLVED)

I have a few mods installed, and some of them work fine. However, some of them (Planetary Base Systems, Karbonite, and a few others) don't work. By "don't work" I mean that they don't show up in the game. I'm wondering if this is because of an incorrect install. I've just been copying the mod's "GameData" folder and pasting it in KSP's "GameData" folder. This works for most of my mods, but not for all. Is there something else I should be doing? PS, The mods partially work. For example, Karbonite functions, but none of the engines of parts are there, and Planetary Base Systems has a tutorial in the manual, but the parts aren't there.

Thanks in advance,

Jagger

Edited by SpookyShark73

It depends on the mod author and how they chose to package it.  There are really 2 possibilitys

1. The zip file contains a folder named GameData.

In this case there are two ways to deal with it.  Either copy the GameData folder from the zip file directly into the KerbalSpaceProgram folder and choose to merge and overwrite as necessary, or open the GameData folder in the Zip file and copy it's contents directly to KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData.

2. The zip file contains no GameData folder.

In this case simply copy the contents directly to KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData.

Incorrect Way:

If it is option 1 and you copy GameData from the Zip into KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData then you now have KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData\GameData\ModFolder.  This is wrong, and depending on the mod, may not function.

Edited by Alshain

Also, unless the mod specifically asks you to, do NOT put mod folders in the 'Squad' folder. This can cause conflicts with the stock things, and can screw things up or cause glitches.

20 hours ago, Alshain said:

It depends on the mod author and how they chose to package it.  There are really 2 possibilitys

In this case there are two ways to deal with it.  Either copy the GameData folder from the zip file directly into the KerbalSpaceProgram folder and choose to merge and overwrite as necessary, or open the GameData folder in the Zip file and copy it's contents directly to KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData.

Incorrect Way:

If it is option 1 and you copy GameData from the Zip into KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData then you now have KerbalSpaceProgram\GameData\GameData\ModFolder.  This is wrong, and depending on the mod, may not function.

It has a GameData folder and says to copy and paste it. I've tried that, but it doesn't work. Instead of adding all the parts, it only has a section in the manual. I noticed this with a few other mods too. For some reason, they tend to only half-work.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:08 PM, Alshain said:

Incorrect Way:

Oh.... I watched a video and it said to install mods the "Incorrect Way" XD Thanks! 

I would recommend CKAN for a new mod user, it handles the installs and such for you. However, there are a few mods that do not use it and that is up to them, it is their works and free will. The suggestions everyone has added above are pretty spot on as to what to do.I would add some things of advice for you.

1. If it has a spacedock page, go and follow it. SpaceDock
  2. Always go and red the last few posts on a mod forum and check to see if it has been updated or changed hands.
  3. finally, and I find this one to be the most helpful, Most moddevs prepackage their mods Dependencies Mods, be sure to check and see if those are the most up to date versions. This can be a hassle (hoff). It will make your life much easier.

NOTE: on the last one, be sure to check that the Dependency Mod Folders match what you might already have in the game. Key thing to look for would be 'Resource' folders that are in the downloaded mod vs what you have in your GameData already.

Coming from the area of modding for Minecraft and installing them for a long time it was pretty simple to pick up the adding of mods for KSP tho it can be confusing with so many mods packaging parent or dependency mods, etc. Just never be afraid to ask questions and always try your best to research Walkthroughs and Videos and watch and read more then one. If the more things that you see that seem like they are being repeated would usually indicate it is a patter, in KSP at least, that is best to be followed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.